Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Volcanic Eruption In Iceland, Uk Flights Cancelled, Some Airports Closed

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
i'm stuck in Singapore, was meant to fly home on Saturday night, flight was cancelled and the earliest we could rebook was for the 1st May! We are meant to change at Doha and could fly there and wait however have been advised by the airline to stay in Singapore as Doha Airport is crammed full of people.

Luckily we have friends to stay with, hopefully some extra flights will be laid on next week...

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I'm due to go to Egypt a week tomorrow. Suddenly very concerned about our prospects of getting there. I'd be quite happy to be stuck in Egypt - less excited about being stuck here!

Does anyone know what the package operators are saying?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'm due to go to Egypt a week tomorrow. Suddenly very concerned about our prospects of getting there. I'd be quite happy to be stuck in Egypt - less excited about being stuck here!

Does anyone know what the package operators are saying?

my daughter and her boyfriend to t'egypt next Sunday and she is very worried.

Lufthansa and KLM have sent up planes to see if there is an issue adn they have returned reporting no issues.

My wife has friends stuck in places like Malasia, Borneo , Cyprus etc.....there will be no year 6 teachers at Mile Oak tomorrow! Her friend in Malasia has had her plane cancelled and told to make her own way home!!!! NICE

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I for one would be very worried about a plane I was in flying through the volcanic ash after watching an Air crash investigartion show about what happened to a plane.

My parents were due to fly to Thailand on Thursday morning, their flight was delayed and eventually cancelled.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Mr McFly has already had his flight to Perth on Tuesday cancelled.

Even once the dust clears, the aircraft are displaced all over the world, so it's going to
be days before things get back to normal.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
if the airspace does reopen the volcano is still erupting and a change in wind speed/direction or another smoke eruuption and airspace closes again.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Mr McFly has already had his flight to Perth on Tuesday cancelled.

Even once the dust clears, the aircraft are displaced all over the world, so it's going to
be days before things get back to normal.

It's annoying, because I was looking forward to going to Scotland. Now I have to make do with a flight on the 27th to Melbourne, Australia. :wink:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
i'm stuck in Singapore, was meant to fly home on Saturday night, flight was cancelled and the earliest we could rebook was for the 1st May! We are meant to change at Doha and could fly there and wait however have been advised by the airline to stay in Singapore as Doha Airport is crammed full of people.

Luckily we have friends to stay with, hopefully some extra flights will be laid on next week...

Do NOT get yourself stuck in Doha - absolute shithole of an airport :tantrum:

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
I see that some food prices are edging up now. Especially fruit and salad stuff.

Just back from a weekend in northern France, the hypermarkets are all ready running out of the imported fruit and veg that we used to take for granted. Calais has hundreds of people trying to get across to the UK (and no not just the illegal's), or trying to disperse across Europe having made it across the channel from the UK, you cannot get a taxi, as they are busy taking clients down to Paris or further south, or across to Germany etc. and there were no hotel rooms left, not even at the budget places, thankfully we booked our travel and hotels in advance. With no internal flights the peage and motorways were very busy, and I would guess the TGV is fully booked.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The worrying thing is that governments and airlines are now trying to go over the heads of Air Traffic Control. Can see why they are doing it, but its a dangerous game.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just back from a weekend in northern France, the hypermarkets are all ready running out of the imported fruit and veg that we used to take for granted. Calais has hundreds of people trying to get across to the UK...

Dan Snow tried to do his best WWII style.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
My parents were meant to be back from Venice on Saturday and have had to re book their flight for Thursday, which I'm not too confident about. Cooking and doing everything for myself is an absolute nightmare :cry:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

now that doesnt make any sence does it? private boats and yachts are free to come and go as they please and theres no control i know of on leaving a country. just have to make sure you go thought the proper channels when you come ashore in the UK. you'd have thought they would want stranded people move on wheere possible. very odd that the french object.

my guess, based on nothing much, is probably the ferry worker union got the hump.

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
My parents were meant to be back from Venice on Saturday and have had to re book their flight for Thursday, which I'm not too confident about. Cooking and doing everything for myself is an absolute nightmare :cry:

Mine are stuck in Greece, and i hate cooking!!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Latest on the radio says there will be nothing moving until at least tomorrow evening, possibly as late as Thursday...unless the volcano gives it max again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here