Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Volcanic Eruption In Iceland, Uk Flights Cancelled, Some Airports Closed

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
David Cameron has stated today that it's all "very worrying", and that his first thoughts are with the emergency services workers.

Er...slightly overdramatising things here Dave? Are the ambulances and hospitals suddenly overwhelmed by legions of wheezing pensioners coughing up ash-coloured mucus? Are the firefighters struggling to free people from beneath mountains of ash? Are the police battling a tide of looters as the country descends into a state of volcanic anarchy? ???

I know there's an election on, but come on :lolol:

Confirmed, all air-ambulances grounded ...
They use jet engines too ...

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Is there any evidence of planes crashing other than those that flew directly into the plume?

That would be worst case, the main issue is engine damage.

If you thought that current stocks of petrol contained an additive that was known to damage car engines, would you still fill up?

Different risk I know, because a car engine failure wouldn't be quite so serious as an aircraft losing its engines.

We sell the RR Trent for about $10m a peice - so they don't come cheap either.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Made it back to UK this morning, having landed at Schipol on Thursday afternoon from New Orleans via Detroit.
Wasn't too bad, KLM put us in a decent enough hotel overnight (free). We'd booked cabins on the Rotterdam to Hull Ferry as soon as we realised what was going on on Thursday, so all we had to do was get a bus and train to Rotterdam and we were fine. Ferry was packed, and the ticket office woman reckoned they could have filled that ferry 5x over with all the inquiries!

Can't see this clearing quick unless theres a significant change in the weather. We've got staff all over Europe and America. One guy was half way from Atlanta on Wednesday when they turned the plane back to Philidelphia. He then got a flight to Madrid and is coming back on thr Bilbao-Pompy ferry tonight... crazy times!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
On a happier note (David Brent style) I'm back at work tomorrow morning. Airport still closed I guess, so I might just put the kettle on, maybe have a nap, watch a bit of TV...

:tumble:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bit of a pisser for those on business, absolute nightmare for anyone on a tight budget who spent most if not all their money before they rocked up at the aiport on Thursday to find their holiday extended by 3 days so far and could be away for another week or so. Even bigger nightmare if they are on another continent and can't hitch or catch a bus/train etc to a ferry port.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Even bigger nightmare if they are on another continent and can't hitch or catch a bus/train etc to a ferry port.

Indeed - my little girl is stuck in Dubai - was supposed to be home now. It can't be helped, of course, but I'm genuinely concerned as to when I'll see her next.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I have three mates who are all stuck abroad after their holidays and will be late back to work.

BASTARDS :angry:

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
whats the difference between cheryl cole & an icelandic volcano?

the volcano's still blowing Ash

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Jnr is in Los Angeles.I told him to tell his Mum to cross to the East coast and get a flight to Italy or were ever in Europe or Scotland.
He said Mum doesn't want to go to Scotland. Well I guess they are not going anywhere then. punish:
He phoned me at 6 o'clock and told me something about a flight on Thursday. :wozza:
Be quicker crossing to the East coast and getting on the Queen Mary from N.Y.
This is not going to end until the Volcano stops erupting or the Jet stream moves, allowing the westerly winds and the Low pressure areas to return.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Had a text from a mate yesterday - "Still in Cuba until Sunday catching the last couple of days of sun before coming back home".

My reply - "Don't bank on airports being open".

His reply - "Why, what's happening?".

:laugh: :wozza:

I don't expect to see him soon.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Worryingly, an increasing number of airlines are now starting to look at laying staff off, temporarily at first:

'Scandinavian airline operator SAS AB said it has given notice of a temporary layoff of up to 2,500 ground service staff in Norway as a result of the flight disruptions. Airline spokeswoman Elisabeth Manzi said it is a precautionary move, and that said eventual temporary layoffs may not affect all 2,500 notified.

Budget airline Norwegian ASA, losing $1.5 million to $1.7 million a day because of the ash-driven closures, is holding meetings with unions Monday to discuss potential temporary layoffs, spokeswoman Asta Braathen said.

"If we are looking at the future, we cannot maintain the cost of all this forever," said Geert Sciot, communications manager of Brussels Airlines, citing such costs as providing buses to passengers meant to fly from Athens or Lisbon to Brussels.'

Inevitable really, coming on the back of the worst snow-related disruption for 30 years, but not good news. There's going to be a shitload of airlines folding before this is over.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
Jnr is in Los Angeles.I told him to tell his Mum to cross to the East coast and get a flight to Italy or were ever in Europe or Scotland.
He said Mum doesn't want to go to Scotland. Well I guess they are not going anywhere then. punish:
He phoned me at 6 o'clock and told me something about a flight on Thursday. :wozza:

i've been on the phone with my travel agent all day trying to get a flight out of italy or spain to the US for tomorrow/monday but nothing doing... everything either goes via amsterdam/frankfurt or is totally full.

BA have closed out all their ticketing systems until flights on wednesday now which doesn't really bode well!

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Due to fly from Miami to Madrid 5pm on Sunday, with the Madrid to Gatwick leg on Monday 3pm. Mrs Shingle has to be back to work and little shingles at school and college.

Hope things have cleared by then :angel:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Well I'm still stuck in Hong Kong and dont think I'll be out before Wednesday at the earliest now. Qantas finally gave up and officially cancelled the flight I was checked in for (after showing as delayed for up to 72 hours and no firm idea going forward, who can blame them).

My youngest son's 1st Birthday is on Friday and that is my target to be back for - if someome offered me a guarantee now of not being back before then but definitely being back for that, I would take it right now.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
i've been on the phone with my travel agent all day trying to get a flight out of italy or spain to the US for tomorrow/monday but nothing doing... everything either goes via amsterdam/frankfurt or is totally full.

BA have closed out all their ticketing systems until flights on wednesday now which doesn't really bode well!

Its going to be friday at the earliest

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Indeed - my little girl is stuck in Dubai - was supposed to be home now. It can't be helped, of course, but I'm genuinely concerned as to when I'll see her next.

I hope you get to see her soon mate. It must be a difficult time at the moment.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I see that some food prices are edging up now. Especially fruit and salad stuff.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Im supposed to be flying to Porto today for work and down to Lisbon by car tommorrow.

None of it is happening.

Ive got more flights to germany on thursday from LGW......its only work, so its not aholiday or anything...so I couldnt really care less.

Heart goes out to all the people trying to get either back to loved ones or away on holiday, as I know exactly how it feels when you work away and you just want to get back home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here