Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vogue, or Vague, Gyratory improvements - start 14th July, for up to five months

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Watched ZULU there SEVERAL times in my TEENS

And the Sound of Music :blush:

Dread to THINK what you used to WATCH there in your TWENTYSOMETHINGS!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
m

Me and the old boy would get the football special just up on the left of Hollingdean Rd to the Goldstone late sixties/early seventies.

I remember that: it was the way I got to the Goldstone for years - were they still running in 1997?

The shot of the Gaiety/Vogue makes me realise that I have a false memory of the place: I thought the facade was much bigger than that with some pointy bits on top (I don't know the proper architectural term) - much smaller than I remember.

The Allen Arms - that was a grotty pub. Incredible to think there were five pubs within 100m of the centre of that crossroads

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I could tell you a story about me and a mate, and two pilled up birds, watching American Graffiti as the Sat night late film in the Vogue, back to his folks, all four of us akip on a huge sofa in the parlour, and me smashing one of them and my knee clattering a radiator on the gravies, travelling around the house, and my mate's stoney faced old dear in the morning giving it daggers :lolol:

Spun Cuppa

I remember that: it was the way I got to the Goldstone for years - were they still running in 1997?

The shot of the Gaiety/Vogue makes me realise that I have a false memory of the place: I thought the facade was much bigger than that with some pointy bits on top (I don't know the proper architectural term) - much smaller than I remember.

The Allen Arms - that was a grotty pub. Incredible to think there were five pubs within 100m of the centre of that crossroads

IIRC The Allen Arms was further along towards Upper Lewes Road. It's facade is still there and the shop is a Jamaican hairdressers I think ??? Can't remember the actual name of the pub next to the Vogue?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Pub next to the Vogue was the Allen Arms. The one that's now a Jamaican hairdresser was The Alexandra Hotel

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
The gyratory appears to be open and, save for a few cosmetic bits, finished.

Upper Lewes Road allows travel in both ways but if you're joining the gyratory you head straight down and have to turn left, rather than the road bending around the way if did before.

That appears to be the most significant change. There is a cycle lane too, but cars have to cross that to go up Hollingdean Road, so somebody will have an accident at some point.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That appears to be the most significant change. There is a cycle lane too, but cars have to cross that to go up Hollingdean Road, so somebody will have an accident at some point.

Cycled on it last night: the cycle lane works well - misses out the lights at the start of the gyratory and then is kept away from the traffic until the Hollingdean Road. If cars get in the right lane, it should be no problem for cyclists, the only issue would be if someone drives in the Lewes Rd until the last moment and then turns left.

Nicely designed and lovely, smooth tarmac - wonder how long that will last

Spun Cuppa

It seems to flow well, and does seem to be more pedestrian and cycle friendly, with vehicular traffic also catered for regarding smooth transitions. I was more than a little sceptical about it when the consultation was going on, but it *appears* to be coolio :smile:

Jan 30, 2008
The gyratory appears to be open and, save for a few cosmetic bits, finished.

Upper Lewes Road allows travel in both ways but if you're joining the gyratory you head straight down and have to turn left, rather than the road bending around the way if did before.

no traffic lights either replaced by a pedestrian crossing
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
Cycled on it last night: the cycle lane works well - misses out the lights at the start of the gyratory and then is kept away from the traffic until the Hollingdean Road. If cars get in the right lane, it should be no problem for cyclists, the only issue would be if someone drives in the Lewes Rd until the last moment and then turns left.

Nicely designed and lovely, smooth tarmac - wonder how long that will last
not long , closer inspection of the surface leading into lewes road heading into brighton shows a poor finish to adjoining surface bit of frost and ice will sort that out:rolleyes:
regards
DR

Spun Cuppa

The roads in Brighton/Hove are generally shi#e. When I used to drive, and go away for a holiday, you could tell the roads were loads better everywhere else. Then you would come back, get to Patcham, and start hitting the potholes and divots again. Appalling state of affairs...

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
If they could do this, it would be an improvement.

gyratory.jpg

Brings back some memories, Saturday morning pictures at the Vogue cinema until I got thrown out and banned,
I threw a smoke bomb onto the stage in front of the screen:wrong: this pyro thing at some football matches is nothing new:)
Moved on to a bit of underage drinking a few years later, next door in the Allen Arms.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Cycled on it last night: the cycle lane works well - misses out the lights at the start of the gyratory

Nothing new there. To the best of my knowledge cyclists miss out on all lights including red ones.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I think it is more dangerous for pedestrians walking past Sainsbury's now. When there were three lanes you knew that all vehicles in the nearside lane were heading towards Hollingdean Road unless they were indicating left, when they were turning into the car park. Now you have no idea where the vehicles are going as they have to indicate left to go up Hollingdean Road as well as into the car park, as I nearly found out to my cost the other day.

There will also be carnage as people will have to cross the cycle lane to get to the bus stop; dark wet winter night - cyclist without lights - shopper loaded with bags rushing to catch bus.........

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Great I've wasted hours of my life sitting in traffic just so a few cyclists are safe for 100 yards

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Well the news today is.................They have shut off the cycle path outside Sainsbury's, parked a lorry in the bus stop and started to dig up the new paving!
The reason being they are installing a bus shelter in between the cycle path and bus lay-by, brilliant. So none of the muppets in the Council were able to plan this bit in advance so the shelter could be installed when all the other work was being done? How do these people manage to put their socks on in the morning?

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Brings back some memories, Saturday morning pictures at the Vogue cinema until I got thrown out and banned,
I threw a smoke bomb onto the stage in front of the screen:wrong: this pyro thing at some football matches is nothing new:)
Moved on to a bit of underage drinking a few years later, next door in the Allen Arms.

What idiot decided to change the original system anyway?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here