Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Visiting Teams

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Why do so many sides come to the Amex and do nothing but foul, sit back and waste time? Blackburn’s performance last night was no different.

Do Championship teams really rate us so highly that they have to be so desperately negative at the Amex?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I'd say there aren't many sides that think they can 'out-football' us so managers are sending them out to stop us from playing. I'm sure team talks occasionally mention that Brighton 'don't like it up'em.'

Also, when we keep the ball like we did last night it frustrates the opposition and leads to more fouls. It's the refs job to notice this and clamp down on it.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Simple. Look at the amount of points we've given away to teams who don't want to play and just want to get the draw.

I'd much rather watch a team like us than a team like Blackburn..

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The time wasting is getting seriously out of hand !

I know all teams do it, but Blackburn were really really exceptional at it !

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Teams play at the Amex as if we are Barcelona and they are scared of us. Why don’t they back themselves to take us on? On Saturday, Hull, second in the league, hardly touched the ball in the first-half, showing no ambition whatsoever except to sit back and defend.

I feel like I’m watching the same game at the Amex, every time, except with different opponents.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Our football deserves to grace the Premier League. Instead, the top-flight will be blessed with one-dimensional carthorses like Cardiff and Hull.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Teams come and play that way because it works. They only need to look at this season's results to know they are good for a goal on the break if they can sit back and absorb our pressure for 90 minutes. It is not necessarily them rating us highly, just teams coming and doing what they need to do to get the points.

Last edited:

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
Why do so many sides come to the Amex and do nothing but foul, sit back and waste time? Blackburn’s performance last night was no different.

Do Championship teams really rate us so highly that they have to be so desperately negative at the Amex?

Pretty obvious, I would have thought. It's called tactics because they know we do not have sufficient strike force to hurt them, so if they sit back they will be guaranteed a point away from home and with a bit of luck, might snatch all three if they hit us on the break.
Visiting teams do their homework I'm afraid and until we start piling in a few goals, it's not gonna change !!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Makes the Palace game even more exciting as Holloway is not one to be negative.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Burnley will do exactly the same in the next home game. Tactics will be to score on a counter attack , against the run of play or a set piece then park the bus and hand out a bit of the rough stuff/time waste for the rest of the game. Palace will play for the win from the beginning and this will be their downfall as it will be an open game.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
they do it because it works and Gus hasnt developed any counter to it.

It's a compliment to the way we play that teams feel they have to be negative against us. At the moment it's working but pretty soon we are going to find ways of breaking these teams down and then watch us fly! It must be frustrating for you guys who go every week; it's frustrating enough for me just listening to the commentary. But it seems to me all the building blocks are pretty much now in place, we just need that final ability to impose ourselves on other teams and take our chances.

And I for one am pretty confident that is just around the corner. I hope so, because I will be at the next couple of home games and so far this season I have a 100% record at the Amex - seen two, won two - so maybe the team have been waiting for me to reappear. Maybe, just maybe, I can be the final link in the chain. Well, you need to be an optimist if you are an Albion supporter!

So if it's 6 points against Burnley and Huddersfield, feel free to thank me profusely :lolol:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Forget lobbing balls into the opposing teams box, only giants live there. Run at them with the ball at feet, sooner or later, probably sooner, one of the giants will clumsily foul whoever tries it. We have plenty of players that can achieve this, not the least of which took on six that's six of the big lumps last night. Play to our strengths not the opposing teams.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It started half way through the Poyet rein at Withdean.

We got this justified reputation as a passing team (unusual in League One then), and teams came down and tried to rough us up, time waste from the first minute, come with no adventure and try to nick a result.

Arsenal and Liverpool face this in the PL, with the opposition often getting a result, even though the possession and attempts stat are vastly one sided.

If that's the way it is, and referees are allowing it, it's now up to Gus to vary things.

Those on here who call for a front 5 of 2 strikers, plus Vicente, Buckley and Orlandi/Lopez, I think are wrong, as we'll continue to get bullied out of many games.

We need the variation, and couple more tallish 'brutes' in the squad, so that we can mix it too.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
It started half way through the Poyet rein at Withdean.

We got this justified reputation as a passing team (unusual in League One then), and teams came down and tried to rough us up, time waste from the first minute, come with no adventure and try to nick a result.

Arsenal and Liverpool face this in the PL, with the opposition often getting a result, even though the possession and attempts stat are vastly one sided.

If that's the way it is, and referees are allowing it, it's now up to Gus to vary things.

Those on here who call for a front 5 of 2 strikers, plus Vicente, Buckley and Orlandi/Lopez, I think are wrong, as we'll continue to get bullied out of many games.

We need the variation, and couple more tallish 'brutes' in the squad, so that we can mix it too.

As a skilful midfielder with a powerful physique, Abdul Razak would have been perfect for that role.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Burnley will do exactly the same in the next home game. Tactics will be to score on a counter attack , against the run of play or a set piece then park the bus and hand out a bit of the rough stuff/time waste for the rest of the game. Palace will play for the win from the beginning and this will be their downfall as it will be an open game.
We will see grimbo , I watched you on Saturday on thought you were poor . I can't believe the threads starting today after drawing with a negative side who didn't want to play . I like this old arrogance appearing again .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here