Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgin vs Sky

Football_Friends

Aug 18, 2010
Oooop North.....Manchester
Am i being daft or is it a no-brainer?!

I need the full works....line rental, broadband and digital TV. I'm greedy so want most the channels even though I'll only watch the same 10 probably. Was looking to get all the sports, all movies, music, discovery etc and sky 1 etc. Broadband speed of 20mb and not too fussed about the phone perks as I'll probably very rarely use it.

After ringing both I couldn't believe the difference in price and amount of channels. Sky offered me the lot for £66.50 a month, with £39 fee which they 'might be able to waiver', this amounted to over 400 channels and 46HD channels.

I rang virgin and they offered me their XL package with 165 channels, 12 HD, sports and movies added on at a total of £84.49 a month!! They also only give free calls on a weekend not evenings.

Why would anyone, barring a great deal go with Virgin?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Virgin Broadband is much better, get higher speeds than sky as Virgin goes through fibre optic cables whereas sky use the BT copper cables. Virgin also have on demand services and catchup TV that is far better than Sky

I am currently with Virgin and having been with Sky before prefer them. Cant say I would stick with Virgin if I was paying that much compared to the price on Sky!!

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
Have sky for TV HD is good,

BUT I just dumped the Broadband and phone... they advertise UP TO 20 Mb in reality I am getting 0.5.

I called them and told them I was not satisfied, they looked at my line and said max would be 1.5 meg....so told them to shove it....

I will be getting Virgin BBand phone installed next week.

In fact the SKY lady was very nice about it and said they lose many BBand customers every day as they utilise BT lines and majority are old....

She also told me that SKY are being investigated for advertising Up to 20 Meg when its only available in very very few places.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sky will be introducing Anytime+ in the near future so with Sky BB there will be a better choice with TVOD and catch up services compared to VM. Sky are also rolling out their own equipment into BT exchanges plus the fact not all of the BT cables are copper only , there is a substantial amount of fibre cable in the network now.

Football_Friends

Aug 18, 2010
Yea I thought the BB point may come up.....it depends how important it is I suppose v price savings. Iv been thinking about that all day....sky say it will be approx 4mb in my area. Just numbers to me tho!

By pure chance on my last job I bumped into an old school friend who just so happens is a sky engineer. He has forwarded me an email which is half price sky subscription and free HD so no £10 a month. My package should now cost less than £45 a month (1st year only). Worth asking about if anyone knows an engineer! Yet to read the small print may I add.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
If the broadband area you are in is good I would go sky.

Virgin does seem to be quick but my sky broadband has been good and I can't say I really notice the difference - I don't download loads though.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Yea I thought the BB point may come up.....it depends how important it is I suppose v price savings. Iv been thinking about that all day....sky say it will be approx 4mb in my area. Just numbers to me tho!

By pure chance on my last job I bumped into an old school friend who just so happens is a sky engineer. He has forwarded me an email which is half price sky subscription and free HD so no £10 a month. My package should now cost less than £45 a month (1st year only). Worth asking about if anyone knows an engineer! Yet to read the small print may I add.

Ahem, there may be one on this board if you look hard enough.... :love:

( no, not me ).

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Im also with Virgin paying over £84 (with calls) and am seriously thinking of going back to sky. Desperately need to reduce my overheads! And as it happens i do know a sky enginneer so will definately be contacting him!

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
rupert murdoch v richard branson.

this should be all you need to know.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
on virgin,xl tv,20meg broadband,talk unlimited,my bill isno more than 50 quid ever:rave:

Football_Friends

Aug 18, 2010
I'm all signed up now....got every package on sky, movies, sports etc and even multiroom for the bedroom. All for £48 a month!!! First year only but hey....couldn't be any happier with the service too. Just gotta see what this broadband is really like.

Sky sky sky sky sky sky sky sky sky sky sky

Sep 1, 2010
That email from a sky engineer with a link was on here not along ago, gives half price channels and free HD for a year.

It DOES work

I am struggling to afford my whole package thing, any advice about getting any deals with my Sky package i dont wanna leave but all the offers are for new customers as usual(or seem to be) can't find that link thing either rather annoyingly

Last edited:

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
When i first moved into my current house, i was told by sky that i would have to pay £150 to install a BT phone line as it was a new build and didnt have BT telephone lines at the time. Anybody know if this is still the case? Thats what made me go with Virgin in the 1st place.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
When i first moved into my current house, i was told by sky that i would have to pay £150 to install a BT phone line as it was a new build and didnt have BT telephone lines at the time. Anybody know if this is still the case? Thats what made me go with Virgin in the 1st place.

Give them a call, They sometimes have a deal where you can pay a one off £25 fee to not connect to a phone line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here