Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgin Media Tivo problems

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
I love my Tivo,however there seems to have been a problem resulting from the recent digital switchover.It only concerns BBC1.

Anything originally recorded on the Southampton pointing receiver seems to have been lost despite recording it to the hard disc. Anything recorded on BBC1HD is still there and anything recorded on BBC1 England is still there .I have called Virgin who thought I was mad ,and a Virgin repair man came round and sort of backed up my theory but said those recordings would now be lost, but he could actually tell me why . I got the impression he was just agreeing with me.

I discovered this when I thought I would transfer Albion bits from The Football League Show and Late Kick off onto DVD only discover unable to access anymore.

Anybody else had this problem? and more importantly found a way to get them back. Not a biggie , but it would be nice to know.

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
Anybody else had this problem? and more importantly found a way to get them back. Not a biggie , but it would be nice to know.

Yes, and it was covered in many TV Forums (try Digital Spy > Forums > Cable > Tivo) and basically if you record anything on Tivo (or V+) and then no longer subscribe to it then you can't watch what you have previosuly recorded.

For example (and I used to do this a couple of years back on V+) I would subscribe to the movie channels and record a lot of films, then cancel after a month and spend the next few months watching them.

At Freeview digital switchover Virgin changed the BBC1 from South to South East - that meant that technically you were no longer subscribed to BBC 1 South you couldnt watch anything you had previously recorded.

They didn't change BBC1 HD or BBC1 England and so those programmes didnt get affected.

Hope this helps?

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
I did consider changing to Virgin but was informed that Tivo had problems so decided to stick with SKY +

Just had Tivo installed about a month ago and it's excellent, I wouldn't swap back to V+.

Can record three different channels while watching something you've previously recorded; plus the search function is good.

What is clever is Tivo can automatically record any programme at a different day/time to ensure other stuff you want to record can fit in; say for example I am recording three programmes off say Sky 1, Alibi and Watch and then want to record a programme on BBC1 it will automatically look for when one of the other programmes is on a different day or time and change the recording set up without me having to do anything.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Yes, and it was covered in many TV Forums (try Digital Spy > Forums > Cable > Tivo) and basically if you record anything on Tivo (or V+) and then no longer subscribe to it then you can't watch what you have previosuly recorded.

For example (and I used to do this a couple of years back on V+) I would subscribe to the movie channels and record a lot of films, then cancel after a month and spend the next few months watching them.

At Freeview digital switchover Virgin changed the BBC1 from South to South East - that meant that technically you were no longer subscribed to BBC 1 South you couldnt watch anything you had previously recorded.

They didn't change BBC1 HD or BBC1 England and so those programmes didnt get affected.

Hope this helps?

Thanks Ken .It's as I feared .Strange , the titles are still there.just not the content. Never mind ,I still think the Tivo is unbeatable.
Probably the wish list is my favourite function as is the direct link to YouTube if you want to check out a movie or programme from the tv guide.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just had Tivo installed about a month ago and it's excellent, I wouldn't swap back to V+.

Can record three different channels while watching something you've previously recorded; plus the search function is good.

What is clever is Tivo can automatically record any programme at a different day/time to ensure other stuff you want to record can fit in; say for example I am recording three programmes off say Sky 1, Alibi and Watch and then want to record a programme on BBC1 it will automatically look for when one of the other programmes is on a different day or time and change the recording set up without me having to do anything.

I've now networked my Tivo so I can control it with my iPad or iPhone. TiVo is amazing once you really get into it and what it can deliver for you. At 1TB, I've got stacks to of choice queued up. Great system, I've also just started recording programmes remotely which I know you can do with Sky, but is very useful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here