Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Virgin Active Brighton

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Another sector of society will get priced out of Brighton if they reduce HMO’s.

No. They can reduce HMO’s by approving more and more purpose built Student accommodation (thousands of rooms have come on stream in the last few years and thousands will follow over the next couple of years) AND still see more HMO options for non-Student renters. This is about reclaiming areas that have suffered ‘studentification’ like Hanover and rebuilding family communities.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No. They can reduce HMO’s by approving more and more purpose built Student accommodation (thousands of rooms have come on stream in the last few years and thousands will follow over the next couple of years) AND still see more HMO options for non-Student renters. This is about reclaiming areas that have suffered ‘studentification’ like Hanover and rebuilding family communities.

Yes. I’m afraid.

“Studentification”.

Basically the yoghurt knitters don’t like dirty students or people who can’t afford their own homes living in the same areas as them. “Get them tucked away in purpose built blocks, away from my family and out of my sight”

Lovely.

Last edited:

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
HMOs do perform a useful function but there's tension when you get an over- concentration of them. Brighton isn't the only city that has experienced studentification - Leeds, Cardiff and Newcastle are among those others who struggle to maintain balanced communities. Licencing and controlling the density of HMOs is a partial solution, but you are large depending on the market adjusting so that purpose built student blocks undercut (in rent) and/or a better quality than HMOs before the HMO landlords will rent to families. Ill be interested to see if the Council does try to reduce HMOs more - if they can get away with it and it's impact.

There are similar issues with AirBnB type rentals but they're largely unregulated at the moment. Don't get me started on them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here