Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Violence in Manchester last night

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Is it just me, but if you've travelled all day, had a few beers and are just about to watch your favorite team play in a final (and they haven't been in one of such importance for 30 years odd). If the screen suddenly fails 10 mins before kick off, and you're told to go to somewhere 40 mins away to find another one, and you may just get in if you're lucky, then you're gonna be a bit more than p1ssed off.

Not that I think the way they acted was right and I wouldn't, you can see why it happened. I find listening to the TV and the Radio, the authorities seemed to have missed the point? If they pulled the plug on the screen, you think they'd have done it more than 10 mins before kick off.

Dandyman

In London village.
200,000 people and only 30 arrests sounds more orderly than an average Saturday night to me.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Problem was that it was all planned at very short notice. A week ago they were still telling Rangers fans not to travel without tickets and there were not going to be any "fan zones" or big screens.

When it became clear that there were going to be over 100 000 anyway they hastily cobbled something together, although they weren't obliged to.

It was all planned very hastily and it's not really surprising that it went a bit pear shaped.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Problem was that it was all planned at very short notice. A week ago they were still telling Rangers fans not to travel without tickets and there were not going to be any "fan zones" or big screens.

When it became clear that there were going to be over 100 000 anyway they hastily cobbled something together, although they weren't obliged to.

It was all planned very hastily and it's not really surprising that it went a bit pear shaped.

I think the authorities should take some of the flack for provoking a riot, and at least hold their hands up.

You'd think Manchester would have a half decent contingency in case a screen fails, like another one (be it smaller), or another link. Saying they'll bus the fans to another area 10 mins before kick off is not really going to work.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think the authorities should take some of the flack for provoking a riot, and at least hold their hands up.

You'd think Manchester would have a half decent contingency in case a screen fails, like another one (be it smaller), or another link. Saying they'll bus the fans to another area 10 mins before kick off is not really going to work.

The authoritites "provoked a riot"?

How the f*** did they do that?
By putting a TV screen to show the match after they realised thousands of ticketless idiots were gonna travel down anyway, and it broke?

People need to accept responsibility, they weren't provoked into rioting they did it because they're pissed twats

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
The authoritites "provoked a riot"?

How the f*** did they do that?
By putting a TV screen to show the match after they realised thousands of ticketless idiots were gonna travel down anyway, and it broke?

People need to accept responsibility, they weren't provoked into rioting they did it because they're pissed twats

I've seen people kick off just because their train is late. Some people get upset about nothing, yet alone being set up to watch a match then being told 10 mins before kick off that they can't watch the game having travelled so far to watch it. People travel to the city just to be part of the atmosphere, it always happen.

Yeah you're right they're twats, but we, and the authorities have to realise that tw@ts exist and will cause grief if things go wrong.

God knows why there wasn't a better contingency in Manchester.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
They shouldn't have tried to put any big screens up at all. They should have closed city centre pubs and bars like they do on Manchester derby days. They should have enforced the bye laws on public drinking. They should have made it clear from the start that any fans who travelled without tickets would have no facilities for watching the game.

Instead they tried to make a fast buck.

It was portrayed yesterday as a carnival atmosphere, but it wasn't. It was a city centre on a working day filled with pissed thugs singing sectarian songs, racially and sexually harassing passers by (not an exaggeration), urinating everywhere and smashing stuff up.

The Council didn't do themselves any favours with their late and cack handed organisation of the whole business but the rangers fans take the majority of the blame.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
They shouldn't have tried to put any big screens up at all. They should have closed city centre pubs and bars like they do on Manchester derby days. They should have enforced the bye laws on public drinking. They should have made it clear from the start that any fans who travelled without tickets would have no facilities for watching the game.

Instead they tried to make a fast buck.

It was portrayed yesterday as a carnival atmosphere, but it wasn't. It was a city centre on a working day filled with pissed thugs singing sectarian songs, racially and sexually harassing passers by (not an exaggeration), urinating everywhere and smashing stuff up.

The Council didn't do themselves any favours with their late and cack handed organisation of the whole business but the rangers fans take the majority of the blame.

I think you're probably right. Or perhaps they could have put a screen up at Old trafford or something and keep people away from the city centre.

I think it was one big c0ck up, and although everyones responsible for their reactions, the result of the tele screwing up was inevitable in our society.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
piss poor management of the thing really.

As someone elsesaid, if you're gonna organise something with that many pissed footy fans to make a few fast quid (fair enough) why didnt someone ask "what happens if the screen doesnt work?"

bit of contingency for fucks sake

not condoning the violence like, just can see how it happened and could have been easily prevented

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Surely it wouldn't have been too difficult to project pictures onto the side of a building or to just have the radio commentary played live over a massive sound system, as a fall back...mind you, keeping however many thousand Rangers fans quiet enough for anyone to hear it might have been a problem.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

to be fair to the authorities they did organise at short notice big screens in all 3 city centre areas that can accomodate big crowds, something they had no obligation to do. they're also now dealing with the clean up, this morning the city centre was strewn with empty cans and glass bottles and it still stinks of piss.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
So thousands of Rangers fans travel to Manchester without tickets or much ope of getting them. So they decide to get pissed. Who was supposed to pay for this screen ? Glasgow Rangers FC ? I don't think so, more like Manchester Council Tax payers, how can anybody blame the 'organisers' for the actions of a bunch of drunken losers ?

Only people who have never seen the aftermath of an England Scotland game at Wembley.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
piss poor management of the thing really.

As someone elsesaid, if you're gonna organise something with that many pissed footy fans to make a few fast quid (fair enough) why didnt someone ask "what happens if the screen doesnt work?"

bit of contingency for fucks sake

not condoning the violence like, just can see how it happened and could have been easily prevented

BBC NEWS | UK | A long-awaited day for Rangers - First clip.

Yeah, I well blame the big screen failing for these pricks attacking the police and then 10 of them laying into one of them whilst he was on the floor. Stupid bloody tele breaking eh?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here