Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vinyl

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Go vinyl, go vinyl.

I have gone back to the beautiful black stuff and love it. I'm rediscovering music in a totally old way.

iTunes helped me rediscover music in a new way. Vinyl helps you explore past masters you had forgotten and reconnect with the idea of the album.

Not only that, but you can spend a happy hour leafing through LP covers in old record shops, and even happier times reading lyrics printed inside the album covers or just admiring album artwork.

Go vinyl my friend. Go vinyl!

Any recommenadtions on particular turntables/equipment? Been meaning to buy one to connect to my Technics stereo but haven't really got a clue what i'm doing. Presume Richer Sounds might be a good source of advice.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Any recommenadtions on particular turntables/equipment? Been meaning to buy one to connect to my Technics stereo but haven't really got a clue what i'm doing. Presume Richer Sounds might be a good source of advice.

Try turntable manufacturer 'Pro-ject' they have something for most people's pocket. As for your existing gear, make sure it has a phono stage input , if not you'll need to buy a pre-amp, or a turntable with one built in.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Try turntable manufacturer 'Pro-ject' they have something for most people's pocket. As for your existing gear, make sure it has a phono stage input , if not you'll need to buy a pre-amp, or a turntable with one built in.

Cheers. That was what I was wondering. I think it does have a phono input. Seem to remember it was called external input and assumed that included phono, but I'll check.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Much obliged. I will ask.

The output from a cartridge in a record deck is tiny compared to say a CD player. Most inputs including the AUX sockets are set up to take this larger output. If you plug in a record deck it will not harm it, but the volume will be VERY quiet.

In order to boost the signal to the same as a CD player you will need a phono amplifier. It can then be plugged in the CD or AUX sockets.

Some amps had this extra stage of amplification built in and if it's there, the sockets will be clearly marked.

If you want, you can post here the labels on your sockets and we will identify them.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Cheers. That was what I was wondering. I think it does have a phono input. Seem to remember it was called external input and assumed that included phono, but I'll check.

If it has a 'Phono' input then typically that would mean it has a phono stage or pre-amp, if not, then you'll need to plug it into your CD or AUX input, which will require a pre-amp, they aren't expensive, but you'll also probably want to connect an earth to the chassis of the amp.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Go vinyl, go vinyl.

I have gone back to the beautiful black stuff and love it. I'm rediscovering music in a totally old way.

iTunes helped me rediscover music in a new way. Vinyl helps you explore past masters you had forgotten and reconnect with the idea of the album.

Not only that, but you can spend a happy hour leafing through LP covers in old record shops, and even happier times reading lyrics printed inside the album covers or just admiring album artwork.

Go vinyl my friend. Go vinyl!

This post was the clincher. Well, this and last Saturday spent browsing in a vinyl shop and seeing my current favourite album (Aparrat's Krieg and Frieden-he's is playing Brighton in a church soon so please go and see him) in WHITE vinyl. I literally spent about 2 minutes just staring at the white record.

Anyway. Now's the time to buy a new turntable. What do people recommend? As music is my main passion I'm happy to spend a few quid to get the best I can; money (within reason) will not be the main consideration of this purchase.....quality will. What do people recommend?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
This post was the clincher. Well, this and last Saturday spent browsing in a vinyl shop and seeing my current favourite album (Aparrat's Krieg and Frieden-he's is playing Brighton in a church soon so please go and see him) in WHITE vinyl. I literally spent about 2 minutes just staring at the white record.

Anyway. Now's the time to buy a new turntable. What do people recommend? As music is my main passion I'm happy to spend a few quid to get the best I can; money (within reason) will not be the main consideration of this purchase.....quality will. What do people recommend?

I'm going to have a go at listening to Aparrat seeing as how you are enthusing.

As for a turntable, as mentioned before, take a look at Pro-Ject, something for everyone, and great quality too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm going to have a go at listening to Aparrat seeing as how you are enthusing.

As for a turntable, as mentioned before, take a look at Pro-Ject, something for everyone, and great quality too.

Thanks. Will investigate Pro-Ject. New Aparrat album is a theatre score so a bit different to his regular output and mixes he puts out. His last regular album was The Devil's Walk.

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton
I've recently started a move back to vinyl. There is something about the interaction with it that you don't get with digital or CD. I've also noticed that I listen to music now, rather than have it on in the background.

Same for me - I love it and I think it actually sounds better! Its not compressed. Cds were a con job that the consumer actually bever desired or needed. Aprat from teh space it takes up its an inferior product that stripped all the romance out of buying an album

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
And heres me getting my vinyl out of the basement with a view to selling it (and I took a deck to the tip last week.)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And heres me getting my vinyl out of the basement with a view to selling it (and I took a deck to the tip last week.)

Dont do it. I did this many many years ago and have regretted it ever since.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
We are moving house shortly to one without a loft and no storage spacce for my vinyl so I am going to have to sell all mine as well. Altohgh I have already decided I will keep a few of my favorite pieces and particularly collectable ones to either put on the wall or keep for nostalgia, sadly the rest has to go.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We are moving house shortly to one without a loft and no storage spacce for my vinyl

What's wrong with the lounge?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here