Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Vinyl records

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Another classic artwork cover. I picked this up as a preorder from Resident last week. 2020 ltd release remaster by King Crimson.

B3A26E75-775A-4C76-B75F-86897B5AF19F.jpeg

kentgully

Jan 10, 2016
Worthing
Has anyone else returned and found pleasure of listening to vinyl LPs again. I am not a audiophile as I am not sure what that is. But my husband bought me a record player a couple of years ago for Christmas “Pro-ject Essential 2” after I picked up a mint copy of foxtrot by Genesis becuse I love the Album, I had it already on CD but there was something special about the textured sleeve that made me buy it even though I didn’t have anything to play it on.

Since then I have purchased a number of albums and just love the ritual of putting on a physical peice of music that you have to be careful with. I actually really listen to it, rather then when I play some of the hundreds song on my phone to the Bluetooth devices it more background music.

My daughter after seeing “bohemian rhapsody” bought a queen Album so I managed to find a working second hand Aiwa px-e850k from the 90s on eBay. After replacing the stylus it worked a treat, it’s fully automated and has a built in pre-amp. She has bought a few records since and enjoys it.

I don’t care if you have £20 bush all in one suitcase type from Argos or a Linn record player, however you enjoy listening is cool.

Sorry if there has already been a thread about this. I did a search and didn’t spot anything.

Just bought a Dansette Major original 50/60s

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Loving that paint mixer :thumbsup:

As we're still on the subject of coloured vinyl. This was the first piece to join my collection. In fact, aside from that Binkbeats that I got recently, it's one of the few pieces of coloured vinyl I own I think. And I have no picture discs whatsoever.

View attachment 125826

Yellowman on Yellow Vinyl, love it. I remember seeing him down the Top Rank.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Having not had any vinyl since my brother frisbee’d my Multi coloured record collection out of a third floor window in the early 80’s I recently decided to kill two birds with one stone. As I have two large walls to fill my musical mate introduced me to these album frames you hang in the wall with clear fronts.
So I decided to find my top 20 albums and some great record covers to decorate my walls. Then, when the mood takes I can simply pull one off the wall to play!
I don’t have a deck but I have chosen a beginner Planar 2 deck but need some speakers to fit, any ideas?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Having not had any vinyl since my brother frisbee’d my Multi coloured record collection out of a third floor window in the early 80’s I recently decided to kill two birds with one stone. As I have two large walls to fill my musical mate introduced me to these album frames you hang in the wall with clear fronts.
So I decided to find my top 20 albums and some great record covers to decorate my walls. Then, when the mood takes I can simply pull one off the wall to play!
I don’t have a deck but I have chosen a beginner Planar 2 deck but need some speakers to fit, any ideas?

Do you want powered (active) speakers, or do you have an amplifier and need passive speakers?

If you want active speakers with a built in phono pre-amp, then the “Kanto U4” you could plug the rca connections directly in to the speakers. I heard these at the Bristol HiFi show and they were very impressive. There is a “U6” bigger version.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kanto-Powered-Speakers-Bluetooth®-Preamp/dp/B01MZ676M1/ref=sr_1_3?adgrpid=54793708004&dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInraEvpS-6gIVSrDtCh06TQZlEAAYASAAEgJxlfD_BwE&hvadid=259037393197&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1006480&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=1549243319983606039&hvtargid=kwd-304239550052&hydadcr=20197_1749367&keywords=kanto+yu4&qid=1594228642&sr=8-3&tag=googhydr-21

I bought a pair of these for my daughter’s record player, as the Audio Technica LP3 comes with it’s own pre-amp. I don’t think the RP2 comes with a pre-amp so you would have buy a separate phono amp. Project do one that’s about £40.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Steljes-Audio-Bluetooth-Speakers-Refurbished/dp/B08C378Z1V/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1GOUTRG7DE096&dchild=1&keywords=steljes+speakers&qid=1594229139&sprefix=Steljes+spe%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-5

If you want passive speakers then that’s a whole different discussion.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

I've just sold some stuff and reinvested . . . . I'd suggest going semi vintage, ie 80's/90's far cheaper than new and just as good. . . . if not better, and nowhere near as expensive as old vintage or new

cyrus 2 amp £150 ish . . . .

I have a pair of PMC DB1 bookshelf speakers ( they make intergallactically good monitors and speakers ) for sale as I've upgraded . . . . £300. I has floorstander ( Acoustic energy AE109) that go second hand for £100-200 theyre great.

google what hi-fi reviews, do some reading, and scour fleabay etc . . . .

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Thanks to both of you. I’m looking for something fairly compact to go on shelves. Power isn’t an issue as I live in a flat and respect my neighbors :)
The Kanto ones look decent, but I will do a little research as suggested.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Thanks to both of you. I’m looking for something fairly compact to go on shelves. Power isn’t an issue as I live in a flat and respect my neighbors :)
The Kanto ones look decent, but I will do a little research as suggested.

Just another option of powered speakers with a built in pre-amp (Klipsch R-41PM) they are bit more expensive then the Kantos interesting that the things people bought these together is a Rega P2 on the Amazon page. Can’t say I have heard these, but Klipsch speakers are normally well thought of.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Klipsch-Re...PJBFXXSJJNT&psc=1&refRID=STM7Q4SWTPJBFXXSJJNT

This video talks about them, bit of sales pitch maybe look for a video to see if someone has bought a pair. They are very smart looking, more hifi then the Kanto’s but also more money

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
No, Its the DP-400 still has the same lift off dust cover

Nice turntable! That comes with a little holder for the dust cover. I did not get such a luxury with the Rega. I have to place it somewhere and hope it does not get damaged.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I bought this little toy record player that plays 7” records and runs on batteries from amazon. I paid £24.00 for it on a special deal thing. I also bought a few cheap 7” records for 25p each, they had the middle missing so probably old jukebox records, from my local record store, which I am very pleased is open again.

The reason I got it was, In the past when we were allowed to have friends visit and they bought their little kids, they would very interested in my turntable. Now there is not a chance in hell that I would let them anywhere near the Rega, But I thought this maybe fun for them to play with. It sounds awful and the speed stability, wow/flutter and motor noise would give an audiofile nightmares, but to be fair it probably not that much different to the Mettoy battery operated record player I got as a 7 year old and it is what gave me the love for this format.

ECD69477-AF21-47D0-A2E4-5B072B6E6864.jpeg

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
As you may have figured out by now I have an bit of obsession with record players. So to help with lockdown boredom, I bought a second hand, working one but in unloved state and thought I could bring back to a nice looking turntable. Pioneer LP-120 from about 1981

This is what it looked liked when I received it.

2599135F-ED97-441F-A252-F462CE18433C.jpeg

A good really good clean, installed new headshell wires, new audio-technica cartridge,and a new plug, as the one from 1981 looked a bit knackered. Looks and sounds great now.

52DFC16D-531B-4BA6-9066-54C0C6F94966.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here