Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Vintage Brighton Ribero Training top

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Yes, it’s not the same because the OPs is a drill top rather than a tracksuit top which the bench wore/would wear. But as said, it’s sort of similar so maybe given as you say, Ribero took over the following season it’s 91-92? Raphael Meade, he’s got speed, and co? Relegation and near terminal decline had begun. Funnily enough though, they were some of my favourite Albion supporting years. Wigan, Rotherham, Stockport, Bolton, Chester, Bury, Rochdale, Blackpool, Wrexham, Huddersfield…got pissed in nearly every northern mill town during those times. Oh, and Old Trafford!

Actually you are probably right that Byrne and Chapman did wear it on the bench for the play off final. I’ve grabbed a screen shot of the teams walking out and the top the two subs have on does look very similar. Although you can’t see the front of the top you can make out something in white on the back of Byrne’s top which is probably the word Ribero as per the op post.

5243D4BB-ECD9-47EC-91BF-EFC1F70FC16E.jpeg

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We wore Ribero from 1991-1994

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
It’s a thing of beauty! Best guess is early 90s (circa 91-94) as that’s when Ribero supplied our kits.

Coincidentally, on what platform will you be selling this?

Probably ebay but it's interesting nobody can quite pin this down yet,as usually when a old shirt pops up it's nailed down quite quickly on NSC ,when I get the correct details on it I'll sell it.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Actually you are probably right that Byrne and Chapman did wear it on the bench for the play off final. I’ve grabbed a screen shot of the teams walking out and the top the two subs have on does look very similar. Although you can’t see the front of the top you can make out something in white on the back of Byrne’s top which is probably the word Ribero as per the op post.

View attachment 143189

It's not that one, I've got that one as well it's just plain blue on the front with Ribero in large letters plus the players squad number on the right breast , I'll post a photo of it when I get home .

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

View attachment 143189

Cracking spot! Could therefore be 91-92 season proper.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
So if not 91-92, then 92-93 most likely? We’re close…but who can confirm the cigar?!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I had one but after looking at your photo I really couldn’t remember it having a pocket on the chest.
Also spotted the Seagulls bag at the front of the photo, I also had one.

Neither do I, but then I hadn't sterted smoking at that point :lolol:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It wasn’t used for the main part of 90-91 season as Sports Express were our kit manufacturer for that season. Ribero made the kit for the playoff final, that was the first game with them as suppliers.

Exeter had the same training top (in their colours) for the 90-91 and 91-92 season which means we probably used it for the 91-92 season.

https://shop.exetercityfc.com/products/pre-order-retro-1990-92-ribero-warm-up-top

Looking at the video of the play off final our bench looks to be wearing a different top to the one the op has posted.

View attachment 143170

Blimey that brings back memories. Sat behind Lloyd is Ted Streeter. He was the youth team coach as such back then. I used to play cricket with him and by chance met him outside Wembley prior to the game. He was so proud to have been invited by Lloyd to sit on the bench for the game. A great man Ted was, RIP.

Apart from a shit result I smashed my car on leaving Wembley. The car I hit wasn’t as badly damaged and the man driving was kind enough to take my then heavily pregnant wife (now ex) to hospital for a check up.

Jul 7, 2003
I can't find a picture, but didn't we have a towelling type tracksuit top with a big white zip around 1980? A few kids at school had them, I wanted one really badly!

I had two - wore out / grew put of the first one!

Very thin towelling material with a hood but no breast pocket. I loved that top so much as a kid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here