Vincelot... Quality wherever he plays

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was in the East stand and thought he really struggled first half, Kuyt, Bellamy, and Suarez all concentrated down that side and got a lot of joy. The reason he struggled though may not have been as much to do with his ability, but more that we seemed unable to cope with their movement, and he definitely needed more protection from midfield. His positional play was okay, but he did ball watch a fair amount, and a few times followed his man into the centre of the pitch instead of just passing him on, this left a lot of space down the wing.

Second half the whole team stepped up a gear and he looked a lot more solid. Given he is not a natural left back, an encouraging performance if he's needed there, but I'm not convinced he'll keep Painter out of the team.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
sorry have to desagree didnt rate him at all as left back, I'd much rather see tommy challenge for the left back spot as is cb days could be over the way cook played

Since when did tommy elphick have the right attributes to be a full back? Vincelot was quality and is now agenuine threat to painters place in the team at left back. His additional pace will serve us well against championship forwards.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So pleased at Vincelot's performance - 2nd half especially. It was clear he wasn't left footed and didn't get forward as much as Paints or Clade but it was exactly what we needed. We now know we have great cover at full back - either side! Great to see!

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Vincelot = Class

Great attacking options, great defending = nailed on left back now for me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot understand all the euphoria about Vincelot keeping Painter out. I don't think that it should or will happen. Yes he had a good game but 1 swallow does not make summer and he is, in my opinon, more use to us as a partner to Bridcut in the centre of midfield to win the ball. We cannot rely entirely on flair players we need some grafters in there.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
I cannot understand all the euphoria about Vincelot keeping Painter out. I don't think that it should or will happen. Yes he had a good game but 1 swallow does not make summer and he is, in my opinon, more use to us as a partner to Bridcut in the centre of midfield to win the ball. We cannot rely entirely on flair players we need some grafters in there.

I agree, I think Painter has done enough over two seasons to get his place back. He's solid and reliable (although I thought he could have done a bit better for Leicester's goal).

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I agree, I think Painter has done enough over two seasons to get his place back. He's solid and reliable (although I thought he could have done a bit better for Leicester's goal).

Painter is solid, he is reliable (and you are right about Leicester's goal) but he seems to be the one player we have who has not necessarily made the step up to the Championship as well as others. Vincelot offers good defending and good attacking and seems to offer more class.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I thought he had another great game. He's looked decent wherever he plays, an incredibly useful player as we make our way through the season with suspensions and the odd injury. A favourite of mine too.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
What a good dilemma though. Better than some of the dilemma's from yesteryear......jonny dixon or nathan elder!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bearing in mind Vincelot was grafting at the arse end of L1 last season, I think he's been a brilliant acquisition so far.

Can play all over the place, likes to get forward, scores goals if his D&R record is anything to go by, has pace and a prodigious leap on him. Really starting to like him.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Good game but it will not keep Painter out of the team, no left foot. Vincelot problem could be his versatility, just what is his best position?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
He was my MOTM last night - not based upon but one sublime movement early in second half where he did a full 360 with ball at feet and left his marker for dead was magical.

Difficult to rate as a LB given the awesome 3 some of Bellamy, Suarez and Kuyt but I reckon Painter would've been mauled ... his performance at Bristol was pretty dire IMO but in his defence he wasn't getting much help from Harley in that game. It's a tough one but it certainly gives Gus options and I reckon Vincelot is worthy of a starting spot

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Who was it who nutmegged the Liverpool defender just before the end? That was comedy.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Just watched the re run from last night - i thought vincelot played well but when i watched it back he was even better

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports