Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Villa

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Meh. A player who has never come close to living up to the massive hype around him as far as I'm concerned. A sort of deluxe Jack Rodwell.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
A real signing of interest. My fantasy team will be flying now as i was banking on him moving. I cant see keepers saving much against him. Good to see it was a loan though. I would say that signing builds them a solid base. Rate him as a player. I assume they did a fitness cheque or they will want to send him bacs right away.

Surely the FFP bods would be all over that ?

I’d bank on it.

Great discussion, CHAPS.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Meh. A player who has never come close to living up to the massive hype around him as far as I'm concerned. A sort of deluxe Jack Rodwell.

I was about to type similar. He's an alright player, but i'm still to see anything to suggest that he's as good as he is hyped to be. Hasn't done much since he was at Everton.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
They were always going to strengthen this season, and their team started to gel towards the end of last season. Thats why i wanted them to go down rather than Bournemouth

Started to gel towards the end of the season!!! Not sure how that can be said. From Dec to Lockdown they last all but 4 games, beating Norwich, Burley and Watford and grabbing a lucky draw away to us. After lockdown, they only won two games and had two massive pieces of luck, one due to dodgy technology and the other to the incompetence of Jon Moss as the VAR.

This season they have only played Fulham and a very poor (compared to last season) Sheffield.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Started to gel towards the end of the season!!! Not sure how that can be said. From Dec to Lockdown they last all but 4 games, beating Norwich, Burley and Watford and grabbing a lucky draw away to us. After lockdown, they only won two games and had two massive pieces of luck, one due to dodgy technology and the other to the incompetence of Jon Moss as the VAR.

This season they have only played Fulham and a very poor (compared to last season) Sheffield.

And they still look like the Grealish show.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The only battle they'll have is balancing the books!

Which begs the question, will teams be suicidally attampting to buy themselves survival at any cost , to avoid the drop and even more dire financial consequences than normal . . . . we'll be watching Villa.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How good a signing Barclay will be remains to be seen...good for a cameo...but a reliable performer? I’d question that ...be interesting to see where they fit him in
Excellent player - I'd have been delighted to have had him with us, but probably well out of our price range, wages-wise.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Are there special rules about FFP and squad size for them?

They seem to sign a couple of players every week and have unlimited sums for transfers and wages.

I guess they have to be in the PL for 3 years in the PL for the rules to come in but what about their losses in the championship, are they written off?

I think on the back of Man City getting away with their recent alleged breaches, FFP has little or no relevance - it's almost just like a suggested but barely enforceable operational guideline.

A bit like the Covid 'rule of 6' - a suggested and supposed legal guideline but who really is going to enforce it and try to prove you have 7 or 8 people in your home?

With such rich backers Villa will probably just at worst cop a fine if proved to be breaching FFP and do what Bournemouth did a few years ago and let the chairman pay it.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
mmm im not so sure about Villa just yet. Initial signs they have improved.

However they were lucky to beat 10 man Sheff Utd and have beaten a piss poor Fulham.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Barkley and Grealish in the same team ???

Good players, but similar position and style, would be difficult to get them in the same team surely? How are Villa able to spend so much? I just don’t understand how it makes any financial sense, I thought their spending last year was insane but with current circumstances, just how can they afford it and stay within their means?

This was my first thought Barkley has the talent but just doesn't seem to kick on, could go either way but if they click they will be fine.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Agree completely. I also don't see him improving their side. Their midfield actually looked well balanced on Monday. Trying to fit him in, will not make it better.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Agree completely. I also don't see him improving their side. Their midfield actually looked well balanced on Monday. Trying to fit him in, will not make it better.

He's 26 and has 33 caps for England.

Is good enough to play and look good in a top 4 side.

Respect your opinion but there is no way he doesnt improve a team like Villa.

Similar to Lallana for us but could argue Barclay can get even better.

Be interesting to see

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He's 26 and has 33 caps for England.

Is good enough to play and look good in a top 4 side.

Respect your opinion but there is no way he doesnt improve a team like Villa.

Similar to Lallana for us but could argue Barclay can get even better.

Be interesting to see

He improves their SQUAD, for sure, because it makes them less reliant of Grealish.

But in terms of balance - I think leaving out McGinn or Luis to make room, makes them a worse-balanced side. Time will tell, of course.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Feels like the prem is stronger this season. Apart from Fulham not seeing any obviously weak teams. As bad as Burnley are at the moment they always seem to turn it round and I would never predict them to go down.

Cant pick the 3 at the moment and as well as we are playing I hope we are not one of those too good to go down (that do go down) outfits !!

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
They’ve played Sheffield Utd and Fulham
I would hope we take 6 points from those two games
They ain’t that great

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here