Votes: 133 70.0%
  • Spurs win

Votes: 37 19.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There are some kneejerk reponses on this thread. For those that are saying 'before Monday, I would have gone for ...', why not factor in before the United game?
For a while I'd given up on CL and even fifth, but sixth is still very much on the cards. RDZ and the squad will be thinking this (Solly's injury makes it more difficult for me, but it's still viable).
Given that, the best order for us is:
A Villa win
draw
Spurs win
If we're writing off sixth, then obviously a Spurs win is the best option, but that seems the only reason to argue for a Spurs win for me.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
You could argue that in terms of our long term progression it would be better to have Europa Conference next season, giving us a better chance of continuing to do well in the Prem. I worry that with no MacAllister and tough Europa League fixtures we might peak after one season and potentially slip into the bottom half.

There's more leeway with Conference as West Ham have shown. I'm also conerned with injuries piling up and Mitoma looking done we might only have a couple of decent appearances left in us. For that reason I'm in the Spurs win camp.
Im not sure your West Ham argument holds up.

They finished 6th (20-21) and qualified for the Europa League. They got to the semi finals of the Europa League while still managing to finish 7th (21-22) to qualify for this seasons Conference League. They are in the semi finals of that but have had a pretty crap season in the league.

So using West Ham as a marker we want Europa League.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There are some kneejerk reponses on this thread. For those that are saying 'before Monday, I would have gone for ...', why not factor in before the United game?
For a while I'd given up on CL and even fifth, but sixth is still very much on the cards. RDZ and the squad will be thinking this (Solly's injury makes it more difficult for me, but it's still viable).
Given that, the best order for us is:
A Villa win
draw
Spurs win
If we're writing off sixth, then obviously a Spurs win is the best option, but that seems the only reason to argue for a Spurs win for me.
It's not a question of us writing it off - but with the luck they've had this season Spurs are going to skank 6th. place, aren't they. We all know it. So, Villa to not win please - after the season we've had, 8th. place would feel like a disaster (it would actually be a very good season, and an improvement on last season - but it would feel like a disaster now!)
Draw preferred to a Spurs win, because it would still leave us with a ghost of a chance - just not a very good one.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It will be interesting to see the outcome of AZ v West Sham, AZ are the money ball side of the Dutch league, does the statistical edge on signings get you so far or does it make you winners.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
It will be interesting to see the outcome of AZ v West Sham, AZ are the money ball side of the Dutch league, does the statistical edge on signings get you so far or does it make you winners.
They are gash. The only reason they have half a chance is because they play in a farmers league and so won't be knackered !!! I suspect none of their players would get in our team. If we got in the Europa you would think we would be one of the favourites

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
They are gash. The only reason they have half a chance is because they play in a farmers league and so won't be knackered !!! I suspect none of their players would get in our team. If we got in the Europa you would think we would be one of the favourites
Yeh, money ball is worth looking into. But i'll back the squad that was put together with about 300m quid to be too strong.

I'd love to be wrong

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
There's a big difference between the pulling power of the Europa and Conference semi-finalists.

Europa
Juventus, Sevilla, Roma, Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Conference
Fiorentina, FC Basel, West Ham, AZ Alkmaar

That said, I'd be quite happy with us emulating Roma.

Win the Conference League, then make the Semi-Finals of the Europa League.

Can you imagine Albion making a European final, even if it's the lowest of the 3? :drool:

Just as a heads-up, the locations of the 2023-24 Finals are as follows:
  • Champions League - Wembley Stadium, London
  • Europa League - Aviva Stadium, Dublin
  • Conference League - To be announced this month

(But ok...we've got to get there first. Draw, but if not, Spurs win.)
Athens is the rumoured Conference League Final host city given by The Athletic.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Im not sure your West Ham argument holds up.

They finished 6th (20-21) and qualified for the Europa League. They got to the semi finals of the Europa League while still managing to finish 7th (21-22) to qualify for this seasons Conference League. They are in the semi finals of that but have had a pretty crap season in the league.

So using West Ham as a marker we want Europa League.
I'd argue that West Ham's Europa League / Prem run last season took everything out of them so they've had a poor Prem season this season AND STILL they're in the semis of the Conference this season.

To do well in the Prem and Europa League and sustain that level of performance you need a deeper and more balanced squad than we presently have.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
One think to bear in mind is that the conference is an additional route to the Europa and the Europa is an additional route to the Champions League.

We would be one of the favourites to win either the Europa Conference or League I imagine.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Villa win. They have 3 points less damn it. I'm confident we can knock them over on the last day if we need to. Still not got over Stockdalegate and we owe them one.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Athens is the rumoured Conference League Final host city given by The Athletic.
I saw Olympiakos v Ajax there a few years ago, 80,000 crammed in, about 10,000 seemed to just climb over a wall to get in and lots of unsafe standing going on! One of the maddest atmospheres I have been in.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Villa win. They have 3 points less damn it. I'm confident we can knock them over on the last day if we need to. Still not got over Stockdalegate and we owe them one.
Listening to their fans on a West Midlands phone in, they think we are there for the taking after the Everton result.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
I'm torn in half by this one. Heart totally agrees with you, while head keeps nagging " do you really want to go to Villa last day needing a result ?"
Aaaargh !

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Depends Who's doing the VAR for Spurs this week,but I predict a wink wink how's ya father penalty for cheeky chappy Harry and a 50 yard screamer for Villa chalked off for being too far out.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I’ve now changed my mind and want a Villa win pls….

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here