Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Villa v Sheff Utd; Did you enjoy watching the long awaited first game of the restart ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I listened to it on R5L in the kitchen whilst I made my dinner.

God it sounded dull. Still, I guess the moral of the nation has been lifted plus it has proved what we knew all along: football without fans in the stadium is complete pony.

#projectpaintdry

Me too.

The thing is, though, this was always going to be a shit game. That's why I didn't bother watching it.

Citeh vs Arse, however, was a cracker. :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I completely disagree - in a timely fashion, they issued a statement explaining what happened and unreservedly apologised to all concerned. What more do you expect them to do?

Do you REALLY think that relying on linesmen is more effective than this system?

We now know that Hawkeye isn't 100% effective, but it is still far better than relying on a bloke stood 35 yards away.

Of course, none of this excuses the absolute failure of VAR in this situation.

Agree all round.

On the last point, re: VAR - I can only assume that the officials have such faith in the technology that they've been provided with, that to pause to challenge it was not really ever under consideration.

You can bet that, today, talks between the Premier League and PGMOL will ensure that in future VAR will intervene in these instances, although that could lead to further frustration due to the delays it may introduce. Last night's was clearly over the line by some distance, but some will be more marginal and the freeze-frame of video won't suffice in ensuring an accurate decision is reached.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
One thing I really did not like was the water breaks as it is yet another break in play and is being used as an additional opportunity for managers to get across changes in tactics that otherwise they would not have been able to. Can see these being disruptive especially if you are on top in a game.

Felt like an American sport played in 4 quarters.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Agree all round.

On the last point, re: VAR - I can only assume that the officials have such faith in the technology that they've been provided with, that to pause to challenge it was not really ever under consideration.

You can bet that, today, talks between the Premier League and PGMOL will ensure that in future VAR will intervene in these instances, although that could lead to further frustration due to the delays it may introduce. Last night's was clearly over the line by some distance, but some will be more marginal and the freeze-frame of video won't suffice in ensuring an accurate decision is reached.

On your last point I think that is a problem for all decisions reviewed by VAR. Endless analysis of marginal decisions that are open to interpretation perhaps should not be its aim. Instead the ‘clear and obvious’ rule should be applied with a limit to the time they can spend on the review (or number of times they can look at the footage). Last night’s goal would have been allowed and we may not get some of the ridiculously marginal offsides that take so long to make that the flow of the game is disrupted.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Football has not done itself any favours during the lockdown and this first game didn't help.

Despite all this technology the 'ghost goal' scenario can still happen and it is truly scary to think of what could happen in the final weekend when everything is on the line.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
One thing I really did not like was the water breaks as it is yet another break in play and is being used as an additional opportunity for managers to get across changes in tactics that otherwise they would not have been able to. Can see these being disruptive especially if you are on top in a game.

Agreed, if they needed it they should have bought in a threshold, of a certain temperature. We play games in August, even in UK in often hot conditions without the need for these so why they were needed on a cool wet night in Birmingham and Manchester I'll never know.

Also the 5 substitutes - Villa made 2 subs and then another 2 soon after and for the last 15 minutes they were very much 2nd best, they looked disjointed like friendy games often get after a raft of subs. Perhaps it won't suit teams as much as some think it will.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Yeah what was that all about, its not an afternoon world cup game being played in Florida in June?

It was a hard watch overall...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yes.

I don’t really like watching teams other than Brighton, but watched both games last night. I must be missing football more than I thought.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
There was no passion or excitement.

It reminded me of functional, marital sex.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Villa v Sheff Utd; Did you enjoy watching the long awaited first game of the restart ?

No.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Football has not done itself any favours during the lockdown and this first game didn't help.

Despite all this technology the 'ghost goal' scenario can still happen and it is truly scary to think of what could happen in the final weekend when everything is on the line.

Or over the line

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I watched both and was initially really excited football was back However............

Perhaps it was the dodgy streams I was watching meant the picture quality wasnt that good, perhaps it was the lack of crowd noise, perhaps it was the poor football or teams I am not that interested in, perhaps it was the lack of beer and mates but it was all a bit dull.

I switched off city v arse at half time and watched sewing bee with the wife - great entertainment and drama, sad to see such a good contestant bow out, huge anticipation for the final next week.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I watched neither game. Not particularly interested in football played in empty stadia.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Agree all round.

Understand but it was one of rare occasions that the ball was so far over line it was obvious to all. Ref would have been praised if he had had balls to give goal even though had not had signal from technology.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I watched both and was initially really excited football was back However............

Perhaps it was the dodgy streams I was watching meant the picture quality wasnt that good, perhaps it was the lack of crowd noise, perhaps it was the poor football or teams I am not that interested in, perhaps it was the lack of beer and mates but it was all a bit dull.

I switched off city v arse at half time and watched sewing bee with the wife - great entertainment and drama, sad to see such a good contestant bow out, huge anticipation for the final next week.

Is that how they get eliminated then ? having to stich up a topical Bow Tie that is voted on by the usual 4 person panel, an expert with empathy, an expert with negative empathy who is a stickler for tradition, a girl who tries to see the best in everything whatever anyone does and someone who is a Wild Card who knows nothing about sewing but has a great personality ?

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008

Completely agree with this. It wasn't exactly 30+ degrees was it. Not sure water is listed as a treatment for covid-19 either. The games were so slow and tactical. The teams who get in front are gonna be able to reset and keep it tight. First half performances will be even more important I feel. Second halves with the subs made it so stop start and even more boring without the fans.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Clattenburg on R5 now completely contradicting stuff on this thread. He describes goal line technology (Hawkeye) as an automatic process. He said it triggers during warm ups when the ball crosses he goal line. This is a description of telemetry, without human involvement. Some sort of imaging system.

That is absolutely not what we have been discussing, where we assume there is a Hawkeye team looking at videos.

I presume Clattenburg is talking out of his arse. If so how can this go unchalleneged on national radio? It isn't as if he's a member of the tory cabinet giving a covid press conference or answering Starmer in parliament.

If he isn't talking out of his arse, how did the technology fail? And what the **** has it got to do with cameras being obscured?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Clattenburg on R5 now completely contradicting stuff on this thread. He describes goal line technology (Hawkeye) as an automatic process. He said it triggers during warm ups when the ball crosses he goal line. This is a description of telemetry, without human involvement. Some sort of imaging system.

That is absolutely not what we have been discussing, where we assume there is a Hawkeye team looking at videos.

I presume Clattenburg is talking out of his arse. If so how can this go unchalleneged on national radio? It isn't as if he's a member of the tory cabinet giving a covid press conference or answering Starmer in parliament.

If he isn't talking out of his arse, how did the technology fail? And what the **** has it got to do with cameras being obscured?

It is an automatic system which uses multiple cameras to create a 3D model of the goal and if the system detects the ball has crossed the line in the model it triggers an automatic alert to the referee. There are no teams looking at videos unlike VAR.

Can only assume from the Hawkeye statement the combination of the keeper holding the ball, other players around the keeper and the ball being carried behind the post perhaps was in a blind spot for the system

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is an automatic system which uses multiple cameras to create a 3D model of the goal and if the system detects the ball has crossed the line in the model it triggers an automatic alert to the referee. There are no teams looking at videos unlike VAR.

Can only assume from the Hawkeye statement the combination of the keeper holding the ball, other players around the keeper and the ball being carried behind the post perhaps was in a blind spot for the system

OK, that makes sense.

The statement from Hawkeye reads (via BBC) "Hawk-Eye said it "unreservedly apologises", and acknowledged that the ball had gone over the line. The company added it was the first time such an error had occurred in more than 9,000 matches using the system. It explained that all seven of its cameras monitoring the goal were obscured by either the goalkeeper, a defender or the goalpost."

The problem is the chance of all 7 Hawkeye cameras being obscured at the same time must be really low. Especially given that multiple different angles filmed by TV shows the ball crossed the line.

Oh well.

I should have looked here first :lolol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawk-Eye

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here