Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Villa v Sheff Utd; Did you enjoy watching the long awaited first game of the restart ?

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....-united-premier-league-live-score-latest/amp/

The goalkeeper clearly carried the ball across the line but referee Oliver waved away United's claims, indicating his watch had not gone off.

The technology failed for the first time since it was introduced in the Premier League in 2013.

A statement from Hawk-eye Innovations, who run the technology, after the match read: "During the first half of Aston Villa v Sheffield United match at Villa Park, there was a goal line incident where the ball was carried over the line by Aston Villa goalkeeper, No. 25 Nyland.

"The match officials did not receive a signal to the watch nor earpiece as per the Goal Decision System (GDS) protocol. The seven cameras located in the stands around the goal area were significantly occluded by the goalkeeper, defender, and goalpost. This level of occlusion has never been seen before in over 9,000 matches that the Hawk-Eye Goal Line Technology system has been in operation.

"The system was tested and proved functional prior to the start of the match in accordance with the IFAB Laws of The Game and confirmed as working by the match officials. The system has remained functional throughout. Hawk-Eye unreservedly apologises to the Premier League, Sheffield United, and everyone affected by this incident."

I must admit I always thought the technology was far more advanced than this , not 7 cameras dotted around the place with presumably someone making a judgement from them.. I thought a tracking system was in the ball that linked up with laser technology that triggered off once the ball had crept over the line. So has the TV replay overshot graphics of the line and the ball just been made up to keep us happy????

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I must admit I always thought the technology was far more advanced than this , not 7 cameras dotted around the place with presumably someone making a judgement from them.. I thought a tracking system was in the ball that linked up with laser technology that triggered off once the ball had crept over the line. So has the TV replay overshot graphics of the line and the ball just been made up to keep us happy????

That explanation offered just doesn't make sense to me. Fine, if x of the 7 cameras are obscured, just say x of the cameras are obscured, and then delay the decision and find one of the plethora of cameras that aren't obscured, and base it on that.
It's a shockingly bad decision.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Hawk-Eye needs a trip to Barnard Castle...

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I thought it was as dull as ditchwater without fans. Very few risks taken by the players in what seemed like a training match. Maybe the players were rusty. Hoping for more enjoyment when the Albion are involved.

To maintain the spirit of many recent threads, I blame the terrible Tory government for such a poor game. If Labour had been in charge var and goal line technology would have worked.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I did some colouring in a adult colouring book instead.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Without the crowd , it felt very sterile . No pun intended . I was very pleased however that Villa didn’t win . All helps our cause .

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
It’s an incontrovertible goal that the technology is applied (at great cost) to ensure is correctly awarded. No interpretation, no debate. Complete and utter ****ing shambles. Is GLT run by Boris technologies?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....-united-premier-league-live-score-latest/amp/

The goalkeeper clearly carried the ball across the line but referee Oliver waved away United's claims, indicating his watch had not gone off.

The technology failed for the first time since it was introduced in the Premier League in 2013.

A statement from Hawk-eye Innovations, who run the technology, after the match read: "During the first half of Aston Villa v Sheffield United match at Villa Park, there was a goal line incident where the ball was carried over the line by Aston Villa goalkeeper, No. 25 Nyland.

"The match officials did not receive a signal to the watch nor earpiece as per the Goal Decision System (GDS) protocol. The seven cameras located in the stands around the goal area were significantly occluded by the goalkeeper, defender, and goalpost. This level of occlusion has never been seen before in over 9,000 matches that the Hawk-Eye Goal Line Technology system has been in operation.

"The system was tested and proved functional prior to the start of the match in accordance with the IFAB Laws of The Game and confirmed as working by the match officials. The system has remained functional throughout. Hawk-Eye unreservedly apologises to the Premier League, Sheffield United, and everyone affected by this incident."[/QUOT)

Blimey that's some confession, a sensor within the ball might help as a back up to hawk eye or a retrospective goal based on TV footage

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
At least people who give pre-season friendlies a swerve will now have been able to see one.

I've had more excitement putting together our weekly shopping list during lockdown than watching the Villa game.

Take away the obvious Sheffield United goal and the match highlights were deciding how many points to give Grealish for his roll and pain screams when he was slightly touched by a defender.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I actually felt really tense through the game, even though it wasn't much good. Didn;t really enjoy the feeling of tension. I think my body has enjoyed the extended break for (that kind of) stress. God knows what i'll be like Saturday

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I think the first para of The Guardian match review captures it well:

How heartening after three months of lockdown, death and strife to have something so trivial to argue over as a disallowed goal in a 0-0 draw. Welcome back, Premier League.

Yes in the bigger scale of the state of the world very trivial. But perhaps not so trivial for the team that gets relegated because of Villa getting that point :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here