Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Villa v Brighton...... Boro v Brighton all over again

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
It was only a few weeks ago that all the talk on here was of how we could possibly break the certain duopoly at the top of Newcastle and Norwich. Since beating Norwich and watching them wobble, we've had to find a new boogeyman, in a strong but certainly not different class Villa side.

Really all that's happened is that Bruce has come in and stabilised a team who were previously under performing. We were unlucky enough to be playing them in that new manager bounce period and after an international break that took away our momentum, yet still held on to get a draw despite being a long way from our best.

It's not impossible but it would take quite some run for them to overhaul us and I like to think that actually the trip to Villa will be a big party for us as we'll have already cemented our top two position.

I think the biggest threat we face is in terms of competition in the January window. If Villa are well up in the mix come Christmas then they've certainly got the resources to get the chequebook out for new additions and we won't be able to compete financially. Unless we're out of sight by then players are unlikely to pick us over Villa when they've got the money and the pedigree.

You just know we'll be facing more derisory bids for our top players but wouldn't it be great if we got there first and whacked in an offer for Ayew? I'd love to see us acting like the big club for a change

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Why would we finish 8th when we are stronger than last year? I fully expected us to be up there again.

Just a case of before the season I felt that the teams coming down would be strong and that a few other teams had got a bit stronger. I also felt that coming so close and missing out would have an impact. Looking atthings now I was wrong, however I just feel that we will do a Brighton and come so close but not close enough

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Villa are nearer relegation than they are to us! Even if they go on a good run, as long as we stay steady then their start to the season will probably be their downfall. I can see them making a play off place though. I am a bit worried about Reading at the moment, a team that has done the promotion thing from the champ on more than one occasion.

This and nobody is mentioning them in the press . very much under the radar .

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Look,Villa are way behind, have drawn a gazillion games and continue to draw now with Bruce in charge - us, Wolves, Brum.

Last year was a one in a million shitstorm, but of course one in a million chances always happen, tis the law of narrative

Our shitstorm was in part caused by drawing too many games last season. Which might point to a happier outcome on the last day of the season, given Villa's gazillion draws.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Ahh bugger, for some reason my work have blocked statto. Any chance you copy and paste for me?

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 14.48.07.png

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

Whilst our points total is the same as the same point last season, the top of the table is quite different, I think.

That table there has FIVE teams, ALL maintaining the fabled 2ppg target (35,35,33,33,33).
The three teams immediately below us in the current table have 31, 29 and 28, and to my mind are less daunting opponents (Reading, Huddersfield and Birmingham, rather than Boro, Derby and Burnley)

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
It's down to us. No need to worry about anyone else. Keep winning then we re up. We hold all the trump cards. Bloom MUST strengthen the side in January.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Whilst our points total is the same as the same point last season, the top of the table is quite different, I think.

That table there has FIVE teams, ALL maintaining the fabled 2ppg target (35,35,33,33,33).
The three teams immediately below us in the current table have 31, 29 and 28, and to my mind are less daunting opponents (Reading, Huddersfield and Birmingham, rather than Boro, Derby and Burnley)

Us and Hull didn't even finish in the top 2 , shows how last season was different

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
One thing that is very different this season, is that if we don't go up I suggest we will have to completely rebuild the team having lost our best players and we may even lose our manager. So as much fun as this season has been failure to get promoted could set us back a number of years imo. We really do need to get promoted.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Or this could all be immaterial if the highlight of the Albion season was the Norwich game.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think people should be enjoying the high quality of football they are seeing at the AMEX rather than fretting about what is going to be the position at the end of the season. Enjoy the ride before it stops.

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
One thing that is very different this season, is that if we don't go up I suggest we will have to completely rebuild the team having lost our best players and we may even lose our manager. So as much fun as this season has been failure to get promoted could set us back a number of years imo. We really do need to get promoted.

Agreed. Our stars have stuck with us after coming so close last year. These are prem ready players and you couldnt expect them to stay again and miss their chance at the top.

Miss out this year and wave bye to Dunk Duffy Knocky Dale Kayal and probably sniffs for CH Solly and stockers

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

If we do get promoted, then you're not going to see wins every week, so enjoy this season whilst it lasts. Now is the time to be having fun on the field.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we do get promoted, then you're not going to see wins every week, so enjoy this season whilst it lasts. Now is the time to be having fun on the field.

Happy to go up and come back down tbh, I prefer the Championship but TB cannot be expected to keep funding the losses. Yo Yo club will suit me

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Aye....halftime WBA 3 Burnley 0

Can we just enjoy the game coming up on Saturday..I've no desire to wish my life away
Wow WBA must be on a par with the Brazil side of 1970, if they're able to turn over the team good enough to beat palace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here