Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Villa a Friday night sell out ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you look at pictures of the crowd you will notice the divide is covering about 1/4 of S1F. Its the eastern side with Norwich fans seats up to the edge of S1E. There was only 5 columns of segregation but the upper tier bit is accessed via the steps in the middle of S1F and as such, the whole eastern half of the upper tier was not used. I can see why - because it would border the Norwich fans without any segregation.

If the club had moved the segregation area just 5 columns to the east, we would not only have had the extra 5 columns for home fans in S1F, we would have had the whole of the upper tier too.

The 125 or so displaced Norwich fans would have been easily acomodated in the unsold areas of their allocation is E1H

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Did you actually see any of the goals on Saturday or did they interrupt your counting. Possibly even made it harder with people jumping up and down and making it hard to see the spare bits of blue plastic!!!!

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
BOLLOCKS is it. Its a complete nause. Macks me right off when we lose a Saturday 3pm to a Friday/Monday night.

The only acceptable switch is to Saturday 5.30, I rather like those. Anything else is a ballache.

As a Midlands based STH Friday and Monday night games are a complete b*llsache for me too. As soon as we're on SkyTV's radar I dread the Saturday fixture changes that I know will surely occur. Being at the mercy of the M25 means I have to give myself a couple of extra hours to get to the Amex on a weekday c/o heavy traffic and the inevitable traffic jam/accident that always seems to cause a hold up en route. Having said that, I appreciate that a number of local fans may prefer a Friday game if it frees up their weekend. I think most fans hate Monday games - it just doesn't feel right! I don't mind Saturday lunchtime games; I can leave home at 8 am and be back home easily to have an evening out locally. I can just about manage that with a Saturday 3pm k.o. too, provided the motorways are clear. Others have suggested that I should support a local. Midlands club but I cannot and will not: the Albion will always be in my blood! :albion:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I love Amex Friday night games, and if we get 3 points it means watching the scorelines on Saturday with no pressure.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I bloody love Friday games. Great atmosphere, harveys, free weekend to do as you please. It makes it seem like the weekend is three days long.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Did you actually see any of the goals on Saturday or did they interrupt your counting. Possibly even made it harder with people jumping up and down and making it hard to see the spare bits of blue plastic!!!!

Hmmmmm. My opening gambit in the post you quoted was 'if you look at the picture of the crowd'

But to address any concerns I can confirm I saw all the goals and had what I think was my mistake enjoyable Amex outing to date.

As it happens, the picture on the previous page of this thread shows the extra seats in the upper tier. Top of the line of stewards.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Does anyone know anyone who wanted to get to the Norwich game but could not get a ticket? I doubt anyone was refused entry who wanted to go i.e. we did not sell out.

I will be surprised if we sell out the Villa game and yes there will be plenty of empty seats because of the sky coverage/trains/Friday night. Does the club worry about this?, not sure but given a lot of the gaps will be pre-paid STHs then they won't be loosing out too much.

el punal

Does anyone know anyone who wanted to get to the Norwich game but could not get a ticket? I doubt anyone was refused entry who wanted to go i.e. we did not sell out.

I will be surprised if we sell out the Villa game and yes there will be plenty of empty seats because of the sky coverage/trains/Friday night. Does the club worry about this?, not sure but given a lot of the gaps will be pre-paid STHs then they won't be loosing out too much.

If the club says they sold out, then they sold out. Why on earth would they want to lose out on the revenue? The reason for empty seats is simple - people who had tickets didn't turn up.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Pepole can fail to turn up for various reasons Sudden sickness in the family.Trian strikes ,weddings,change of fixtures,holidays, weather,etc etc it doesn't make them a bad fan in fact they are good fans as they have committed to the season tickets.Some of these issues affect our fans more who don't live locally maybe they should have priority on a ticket exchange.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Have we actually had any sell outs since the capacity has been 30,750.

Pretty sure the play off games were not and don't think the Palace game was.

Possibly the Wolves game and maybe Arsenal. Could count them on 1 hand though and they normally only sell out day before kick off earliest.

When you consider our best gates ever and our big days at Wembley / Cardiff (full of happy clappers etc0 , 30,750 is a spot on capacity for us. We don't need bigger at all.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Villa are not much to turn out for

Seriously? Has it come to this? Have we reached the point where Albion fans are so entitled, and taking our current success so very much for granted, that ASTON VILLA, a club that have been almost exclusively in the top division for decades, and have won the sodding European Cup in our lifetimes, are not considered a draw??

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Seriously? Has it come to this? Have we reached the point where Albion fans are so entitled, and taking our current success so very much for granted, that ASTON VILLA, a club that have been almost exclusively in the top division for decades, and have won the sodding European Cup in our lifetimes, are not considered a draw??

I concur !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
ASTON VILLA, a club that have been almost exclusively in the top division for decades, and have won the sodding European Cup in our lifetimes, are not considered a draw??

Im considering it a victory, 2-0 Murray brace.

Agree. Villa is a big club.

Roll back 7 years and recall the binfest on here for those scrambling to to get tickets to a 4th round cup game.

Some have such short memories

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Well I shall check for any spaces in their end, I trust I shall not be alone.

Tickets to Villa fans went on sale after the fixture change from Sky I believe so yes I expect their end to be completely full.

We've had some memorable Friday nighters against Dirty Leeds that were made even more special by the night time atmosphere. Couple this to the fact that it's the first game post clocks going back and it'll be properly DARK makes it even better.

Nip away from work early, some jars on the rattler on the way down, mixing with the enemy. Real jumpers for goal posts stuff.

Have we actually had any sell outs since the capacity has been 30,750.

Pretty sure the play off games were not and don't think the Palace game was.

Possibly the Wolves game and maybe Arsenal. Could count them on 1 hand though and they normally only sell out day before kick off earliest.

When you consider our best gates ever and our big days at Wembley / Cardiff (full of happy clappers etc0 , 30,750 is a spot on capacity for us. We don't need bigger at all.

Arsenal was rammed. This is due in a big part to it not being included for season ticket holders, so everyone in attendance would have purchased their ticket not much more than 10 days before. As a season ticket holder you can be buying a ticket as much as 15 months before!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Arsenal was rammed as they are a big name, were doing very well and they had Brighton based fans in the home part of the ground. Sadly for Villa they they have a history but they have somewhat slipped. I do hope it is a full house and lots of atmosphere. In 1970 when we played them that was a big game as they were seen as giants....

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I'd rather watch it at the Amex than on Sky. Love a Friday night game, means I can finish work early (be in London that Friday) get down to Brighton, have a few pints with the old man and brother, watch the Albion, get back home at a sensible hour and still have a weekend ahead of me.

UTA :albion2:
COYS :albion2:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If the club says they sold out, then they sold out. Why on earth would they want to lose out on the revenue? The reason for empty seats is simple - people who had tickets didn't turn up.

My first point was that the ground was not full and that was not just where SThs did not turn up so we have probably reaching our max for games and the club probably realise that. Secondly they don't need to worry about the STHs as that is revenue already in the bank.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I bloody love Friday night games. In my local by 16:45 off to the game at 18:36. Beer at the ground and sorted. Then have the whole weekend free. What's not to like?😃

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Add me to the 'love Friday night games' crowd.. as long as the trains aren't F'cked

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here