Vietnam

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AlbionKebabs

Sep 23, 2005
Hove innit, you mug.
Have any of you travel minded bods been?

I'm heading over for a 2 week holiday in November, can fly to either Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh. Has anyone got any good suggestions or itineraries? Is it it ridiculous to consider traveling between the two in that time and not spending the whole trip on a train on bus?

Thanks muchly

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Went twice in 3 years because we loved it so much, although the signs of increasing tourism are becoming evident.

Depending on your budget and time, fly to Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) for 3-4days, and do a daytrip to Mekong Delta (bookable from 'travel cafes' in every street). Try also to visit 'American War Museum' for pretty shocking relics of Vietnam War (they call it the American War). Oh, and look out for shops and shacks selling pirate CDs (about 50 pence) and DVDs (about £1.25). We bought so many CDs, DVDs and clothes that we had to buy another case to carry them home in.

Then get an internal flight (surprisingly cheap, and better than losing a day or night on a train or clapped-out old coach, and the roads are bloody awful; not fast or comfortable), and fly up to Danang (about 1 hour on a plane, or 8-10 hours on coach), in the middle of the country, to visit beautiful old towns of Hoi An (which also has a fantastic secluded beach, with crystal clear water, 5 minute taxi ride away), and Hue (do a relaxing day trip on the Perfume River, stopping off at old temples and Pagodas) - 3 days in each place should be enough.

Oh, and in Hoi An, get clothes made up really cheap - either they'll measure you for a shirt/trousers/jackets, or take some favourite clothes with you, and ask them to copy in silk or cotton. The materials you can chose from in the shops are fantastic. There are loads of tailor's shops in Hoi An.

Also visit the legendary Tam Tam Bar in Hoi An for food, beer, and a game of pool, and good ambient music. The place has a great vibe, and is good for meeting other tourists. They also sell/exchange books.

Finally, head up to Hanoi for last few days - a former French colony, so it has architecture and tree-lined avenues which make you feel you could be in Paris. You can fly back from Hanoi, but might need to change en route, as I don't think there are direct flights to/from UK (we went via Hong Kong).

One final bit of important advice - crossing the road ! The traffic - mainly mopeds (millions of them) - is mental. Pelican crossings, etc, forget it. Take a deep breath, and start walking slowly across the road; the traffic will go round you!! It's only if you panic and stop walking that they'll crash into you, because they'll be expecting you to keep moving.

It's a geat country, and the Vietnamese are really friendly.

Have a great time.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Judging by the Top Gear program about it Vietnam seems like a great place to go.

trancing

On our way 2 falmer
Jul 23, 2009
Shoreham By Sea
i went last year while travelling around the world, it is amazing country but very very hectic wait to you to Saigon and Hanoi proper crazy citys.
Make sure you go to Hoi An and get some clothes made for you, got 2 suits made for me for like £60.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
My parents went a couple of years ago and loved it. Cant give you much detail but the only thing they didnt like was an arranged trip to a "dog farm", yes the dogs were being breed to eat.
They also said the locals in the North were more friendly then the South.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Is the north part where they eat tarantula spiders?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I went 10 years ago for a month
Aeroflot f***ed up our tickets because their PCs didnt account for daylight saving tickets here so the plane went without us

So we had to fly to Hanoi instead of Saigon/Ho chi min. 3 days later

It worked well in the end, Hanoi is possibly my facourite city I have visited. I cant say why, I just loved it. The people. Ho Chi Min is rather like Bankgok in a lot of ways but good fun

If I had to choose out the two I dont know where I'd go it depends what you are after I suppose, they are completely different. From Ho Chin Min you can get to the Delta, Hanoi the mountain areas. What we ended up doing was flying into Hanoi, out of Ho Chi Min. You can get a flight between the two very quickly and cheaply. Or fly to/from Nha Trang on the way down. Its an amazing country my favourite the people are sooo good have a good time.

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
I went a few years ago and my highlight was a motorbike tour from Dalat to Ho Chi Ming city with the Easy Riders. They take you to some great places are really friendly and I think I had the best food of the holiday when I was with them.

They are mentioned in the lonley planet guidebook and can tailor tours to suit your needs. Instead of taking internal flights all the time I would highly recommend taking a few days to experience a really different side of Vietnam.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports