Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Viera has left Palace and Hodgson returns!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
What possible advantage do they think they gain by pulling the trigger now?

Ok so his run of form has been terrible, but that includes draws against United/Liverpool/Newcastle/Brentford and us.
They nearly got a point off City last week!
Clearly he hasn't lost the dressing room. Regardless of how good a manager he is, he commands respect.
Getting rid of him is more likely to unsettle the players than motivate them.

In two weeks time they start a run of Leicester (H), Leeds (A), Stains (A), Everton (H), Wolves (A)
That's a critical run of games.

Stupid decision.

But hilarious

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It seems Viera is being sacked for 2023: P11 W0 D5 L6. In that period only 1 game was lost by more than 1 goal. They only conceded more than 1 twice. They got well earned draws against MU, Liverpool, us, Brentford and Newcastle.

Excuse me? Are you actually a Palace fan?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes. Being an old git I remember John Bond, who I wasn't a big fan of, getting the push from City after we stuffed them 4-1. That was a long time ago in a stadium far away. Well...Hove.
Any relation to James Bond, the famous ornithologist?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I can see what you're saying, but when we struggled under Potter we were at least playing some good football and creating a lot of chances, so it just looked like we'd turn a corner at some point. We were also recruiting well, which was a large part of the improvement. Palace have been playing poorly, so it's difficult to see how they'll suddenly turn it around.
They haven't been playing poorly though.
The football they are playing is awful, but they've been picking up points from decent teams.

I can see why they want to get rid, in the same way TB had to with Chris, but why now?
If they wan to change the style of play, surely you wait until the end of the season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And a few on here gagging for someone to say it publicly so that they can be suitably outraged.

In reality of course you can argue over the sacking (I think it's harsh) but the footballing reasons are obvious enough and there's been plenty of harsher managerial sackings in this money driven, trigger happy league.

BUT the fact is that this now means there are no black managers in the Premier league. And as far as I know, no senior technical staff either.

Despite something like 40% of players being black.

That feels like a lot of wasted talent and ambition to me and suggests there is a problem somewhere for sure. Just not necessarily at Palace or Brighton.
Indeed.

Only Paul Nevins at West ham, and Luis Boa Morte at Fulham come to mind.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They haven't been playing poorly though.
The football they are playing is awful

Eh?

but they've been picking up points from decent teams.

I can see why they want to get rid, in the same way TB had to with Chris, but why now?
If they wan to change the style of play, surely you wait until the end of the season.
Yeah I wasn't saying otherwise. But I wouldn't draw parallels between how we were doing under Potter and how they've been doing.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
He'd be their best player manager since Tomas Brolin
According to Wiki he wasn’t player manager …

Brolin went on to play 12 more times for Palace, mostly as a striker due to the London club's shortage of players up-front. On 13 March 1998, the club lost to Chelsea 6–2. Crystal Palace had been procured by Mark Goldberg who decided Steve Coppell should step down as manager and player Attilio Lombardo would take over as player-manager. Despite it being widely reported that Brolin was to be his assistant coach, Palace chairman Goldberg insisted that the fluent Italian and English speaking Brolin was merely Lombardo's interpreter.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
According to Wiki he wasn’t player manager …

Brolin went on to play 12 more times for Palace, mostly as a striker due to the London club's shortage of players up-front. On 13 March 1998, the club lost to Chelsea 6–2. Crystal Palace had been procured by Mark Goldberg who decided Steve Coppell should step down as manager and player Attilio Lombardo would take over as player-manager. Despite it being widely reported that Brolin was to be his assistant coach, Palace chairman Goldberg insisted that the fluent Italian and English speaking Brolin was merely Lombardo's interpreter.
Boo!

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
So I don't follow Palace closely outside of looking at the league table and having a little chuckle, so I don't really know how well they have, or haven't been playing outside the games against us (terrible in the first fixture, much better for at least 10-15 minutes this week). But sure, they've not won in 2023, but they've kept in close with the exception of the game against Spurs (lost 4-0). But maybe that's the problem? You can look at those results and say they were close to turning those loses into draws or those draws into wins, but you could also see it as the results you'd expect from a team without ambition and without bravery? A team that sits deep and just hopes to get a lucky break? And maybe that's what the board might see as the problem. With 8 of 11 remaining games against teams below them, something that might, arguably, be called 8 six-pointers with how tight things are at the foot of the table (even in 12th, Palace are only 3 points clear of relegation), you can't afford to be playing conservatively.

Maybe that's the thinking here? They need somebody who'll go for the throat?

What they'll end up with is, probably, Roy Hodgson.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
So I don't follow Palace closely outside of looking at the league table and having a little chuckle, so I don't really know how well they have, or haven't been playing outside the games against us (terrible in the first fixture, much better for at least 10-15 minutes this week). But sure, they've not won in 2023, but they've kept in close with the exception of the game against Spurs (lost 4-0). But maybe that's the problem? You can look at those results and say they were close to turning those loses into draws or those draws into wins, but you could also see it as the results you'd expect from a team without ambition and without bravery? A team that sits deep and just hopes to get a lucky break? And maybe that's what the board might see as the problem. With 8 of 11 remaining games against teams below them, something that might, arguably, be called 8 six-pointers with how tight things are at the foot of the table (even in 12th, Palace are only 3 points clear of relegation), you can't afford to be playing conservatively.

Maybe that's the thinking here? They need somebody who'll go for the throat?

What they'll end up with is, probably, Roy Hodgson.
Woy the rottweiler going for the jugular …….

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Their chairman has just been on sky sports...
I've just seen that. I thought he was on the verge of bursting into tears. :D

He's either lost the plot or is under huge pressure from the septics. Maybe both. Hopefully both. Fukk him. He'll be fine though - destined to be president of FIFA dont'cha know.

He's rolled the dice at the wrong time. The amateur.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here