Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Viera has left Palace and Hodgson returns!

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
There's a few in the Guardian comments section claiming its racism.
And a few on here gagging for someone to say it publicly so that they can be suitably outraged.

In reality of course you can argue over the sacking (I think it's harsh) but the footballing reasons are obvious enough and there's been plenty of harsher managerial sackings in this money driven, trigger happy league.

BUT the fact is that this now means there are no black managers in the Premier league. And as far as I know, no senior technical staff either.

Despite something like 40% of players being black.

That feels like a lot of wasted talent and ambition to me and suggests there is a problem somewhere for sure. Just not necessarily at Palace or Brighton.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
And a few on here gagging for someone to say it publicly so that they can be suitably outraged.

In reality of course you can argue over the sacking (I think it's harsh) but the footballing reasons are obvious enough and there's been plenty of harsher managerial sackings in this money driven, trigger happy league.

BUT the fact is that this now means there are no black managers in the Premier league. And as far as I know, no senior technical staff either.

Despite something like 40% of players being black.

That feels like a lot of wasted talent and ambition to me and suggests there is a problem somewhere for sure. Just not necessarily at Palace or Brighton.
Jermaine Defoe commented last Friday that only 4.4% of coaching/training staff are black, in football.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Wasn’t Schteve McLaren sacked by Derby after we beat them 3-0 in our promotion season?
That was great Friday night game, peak CH brilliance.

McLaren was fair post match and heaped praise on us.

Which would've help seal his fate with their cheating cnt of an owner Mel Morris.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Their chairman has just been on sky sports & asked about the search for a new manager & said “I think it would be disrespectful to be interviewing managers while you’ve already got one in charge” in reference to McCarthy being the interim manager. So you’re gonna wait til he’s been sacked before you start interviewing for someone else? It just sounded as if they currently have no plan & certainly no replacement lined up.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The next manager thread on their forum is a lot of fun. Someone proposing that they could get David Moyes if West Ham sack him. That would please Zaha :ROFLMAO:. Discussion of a lot of candiates previously sacked by teams below them in the League: Bielsa, Marsch, Hassenhutl, Benitez, Lampard; Smarting from Vincent Kompany's comments about them sacking his friend when he was over-acheiving; Realisations that both Kompany and Michael Carrick have a better gig where they currently are; Calls for Roy to steady the ship forgetting that this time last year he was relegating Watford. Reminds me of:

I haven't seen Pardew's name mentioned yet, but we can take it in turns to keep checking.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Yes, 4th round of FA Cup in the season we went onto the final. I don’t remember their goal though. Thought it was 4-0.
Probably. The one I'm thinking of featured a Gerry Ryan goal following a long mazy run. But then I might be imagining that too
The 4-1 in which Gerry Ryan scored that goal was a league game in December 1979. Malcolm Allison, not John Bond was City's manager. It was my first ever game and it was shown on The Big Match Revisited a couple of weeks ago. We beat City 4-0 in the FA Cup on 29 January 1983 and they sacked Bond 5 days later.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
Now I’ve stopped laughing I can concede he probably had to go. The timing was weird though, I thought they weren’t that bad against us. Nowhere near the dross that West Ham, for example, provided.

But his record and run of form is horrible. Fewer shots than any other PL side.

Their squad is shit mind you. They are still on about people like MacArthur being a “key player” out injured. James MacArthur!!

Goes to show how far we’ve climbed and how they’ve stayed in stasis. We have long since moved on from Stephens and Pröpper (thank you for your service) and they’ve still got theirs… and they’re key players.

Who can they even appoint? Hardly an attractive draw is it.. “come fight relegation with a dreadful squad in a shithole stadium for a bit of a prick owner”.

Form an orderly queue, Zidane you’re interviewing first

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So many parallels to Potter, came in, changed the style, played some good stuff and got plaudits. Second season suffered a long winless run, struggled to score goals, and were close to the relegation zone - and this is where the similarities end, we stuck with Potter, stayed up and reaped the rewards over the next season, finishing in our highest ever position. Vieira sacked, they might well stay up but no doubt will revert to another Roy type manager and keep treading water
I can see what you're saying, but when we struggled under Potter we were at least playing some good football and creating a lot of chances, so it just looked like we'd turn a corner at some point. We were also recruiting well, which was a large part of the improvement. Palace have been playing poorly, so it's difficult to see how they'll suddenly turn it around.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here