Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Viera has left Palace and Hodgson returns!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
So many parallels to Potter, came in, changed the style, played some good stuff and got plaudits. Second season suffered a long winless run, struggled to score goals, and were close to the relegation zone - and this is where the similarities end, we stuck with Potter, stayed up and reaped the rewards over the next season, finishing in our highest ever position. Vieira sacked, they might well stay up but no doubt will revert to another Roy type manager and keep treading water

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thought Viera was decent person who had them trying to play more football than his predecessors.

Reality is we have left Palace way behind.
Their squad is terrible. The only players they've got who I'd want in our squad are Eze and Guehi (and that one's only if we don't keep Colwill). The SEGW upped his game as usual on Weds but he's generally sulky and inconsistent, their full backs are terrible on the ball, their midfield's weaker than ours and Olise is nowhere near Mitoma or March currently.

Unfortunately there are plenty of other sides with squads that are just as bad at the moment. It's why the EPL is split in two between teams chasing Europe and teams dodging relegation.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Screenshot_20230317_085941_OneDrive.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
His record up to the World Cup was:

P52 W16 D19 L17 pts 67 [1.29 ppg]

That was an improvement on Hodgson's previous 2 seasons that yielded 1.14 ppg.

It should be clear by now that when Tony went on the journey with Ashworth to transform Brighton's style in the PL, that he was prepared to be patient and accept there would be periods when results wouldn't follow.

Potter's first 2 seasons yielded 82 points at 1.08 ppg.

It seems Viera is being sacked for 2023: P11 W0 D5 L6. In that period only 1 game was lost by more than 1 goal. They only conceded more than 1 twice. They got well earned draws against MU, Liverpool, us, Brentford and Newcastle. In those 11 games only Villa in 11th aren't in the top half.

Seems a typically knee jerk reaction to me.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There have been a few mentions of managers being sacked after losing to Brighton, but does it happen that often? Who was the last one? The most recent I can recall off the top of my head was Craig Brown but I'm sure there's been one more recent than that.

I do wonder who they're going to get. There aren't a lot of top class managers itching to manage in the relegation zone - as Leeds and Southampton found out

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Easy games!! Games against teams fighting for their lives with a team performing asbadly as they are. I don't call those games easy.
They will be under a lot of pressure.
Nice to just sit back and view from afar.
Saw a video on YouTube yesterday of Palace fans ringing in to chat shite about their plight with Simon Jordan on Talksport. First caller said there's no chance they're going down as they've got a 'really easy run of games coming up' :lolol: Also went on to say you wouldn't know which team was chasing Europe and which team was in a relegation battle watching them against us.

If you fancy a laugh:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Ha, on the Palace message board, I like this excuse, implying because he put on weight the form dipped, I am a bit suspicious because the poster claims to not only have read a book but a psychology one.

"Worth noting that top managers keep themselves in shape. I'm currently reading a psychology book that mentions how the subconscious picks up on things, and there does seem to be a correlation with this team's lack of running and the shape of the management team"

This one is good blaming the Premier League for well, playing Premier league teams, and failing to acknowledge their next run of fixtures, they really are special

"Surprised and disappointed at this news. The PL have done us no favours with the most terrible run of fixtures, and we haven't been battered in any of these games"

My Fav is this though, complete meltdown.

"A s*** show. What an absolute f***ing disgrace of a s*** show. We finally get ourselves an exciting young manager and we f*** him. I've always stood by the board for the job they've done but this is the last straw, we will never get out of this revolving door of bollocks with the current owners.
Feel sorry for Vieira and embarrassed for the fans.

And to add insult to injury? Absolutely classic Parish. "The search for a replacement is underway"
If this has been such a long time coming then WHY have they not found a replacement yet? NOBODY worth his salt is going to touch this club with a barge pole now. Odds on we get Roy or Colin back because that's the only thing we'll be able to manage.

f*** em"

:ROFLMAO:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I think this is a bad move for Palace. Their results have been poor but they're not getting stuffed by anyone, most of their games are tight. Viera is the victim of a criminal under investment in his squad, a billion quid in premier league money and they don't have much to prove for it.

I rate Viera and think he'll find success in the championship with a club that will back him.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Apart from the obvious hilarity, it really sums up the difference between the two clubs. Potter had some horrendous spells as manager at Brighton, but the club stuck by him and trusted the process. Yes Palace have had a shit run, but I'm pretty sure they would have turned it around with the upcoming run of fixtures. Short termism from Palace once again.

I want them to get relegated even more now
I looked into a Palarse relegation bet yesterday but at 9-1 against to go down, and a £30 bet returning a profit of £3, I gave it a swerve.

So why the panic? They would have been fine.

Was Dibley complaining he can't work under a Frenchman?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Saw a video on YouTube yesterday of Palace fans ringing in to chat shite about their plight with Simon Jordan. First caller said there's no chance they're going down as they've got a 'really easy run of games coming up' :lolol: Also went on to say you wouldn't know which team was chasing Europe and which team was in a relegation battle watching them against us.
Trying to be objective about it, I don't think that is an unreasonable comment. As @Motogull said earlier, they were much better and positive than I expected. It was a hard fought contest and I doubt any of us relaxed at any point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here