Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Video highlights - Hereford 1997 - with commentary! (19 mins)

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
GR, with this video you are torturing us.

I'm now going to show my son just how bad the football was back then. I don't think he understands.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Craig Maskell's miss. I'd forgotten about that.

Great volley for our goal though.Everyone always says about Reinelt but a great deal of credit has to go to Maskell.
The most tense 90 minutes of my life that was.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
'Southern Sound'??

It was called 'South Coast Radio' at the time. One of the bits I've edited out of the Doncaster match coverage has Tony Millard saying the show was sponsored by 'Newcastle Brown Ale - the only drop the Albion won't be able to beat.'

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
watch him a complete hash of stopping a one on one at 17:26. Kept us in the league that did

I know but he also made some right howlers that nearly cost us our league survival. Not having a dig at him-merely commenting on the commentary.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
God that brings back memories. It was unbelieveably awful football, but I don't think I could breath the whole game. That season was tension like never before or since.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Great volley for our goal though.Everyone always says about Reinelt but a great deal of credit has to go to Maskell.
The most tense 90 minutes of my life that was.

Yes, that volley was immense!

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Managed to snip a pic of my late father-in-law [a steward at the Bulls of many years standing] as well.

We were in the Hereford Stand - just in front of Tom Watt.

Loved Gerry Ryan being told off for saying 'Bloody' and then Tony Millard screaming 'pass it, for Christ's sake!'

Happy memories for so many reasons :thumbsup:

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Listned to this whilst working for my old man (again) I was doing deliveries for him and parked up for the 2nd half, closed the windows and prayed. Got a right telling off when I got back to the shop hehe I LOVE THIS CLUB

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Thanks GR that was amazing. Echo all of the comments above, never been so nervous in my whole life! I remember the feeling of elation when Reinault scored but 30 seconds later an immense feeling of dread. I was thinking "oh god we will never hold on for 30 minutes"

Even if we win the champions league one day I dont think any Albion moment will be as intense or memborable as that!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Had the whole second half down the phone in Australia. Cost a fortune then but well worth it..

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
You do realise how much extra protection the goalkeepers get nowadays. Brilliant to watch again.

I've got a video of both the Donny and Hereford game (bought from the club shop years ago), but have no VCR to watch it on.

Both sets of players must have been absolutely shattered after that. Bruising, non-stop action and the adrenalin.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
I agree with others, that was the most nerve wracking match. I remember when scored, going absolutely mental and delirious for a minute before realising we still had 30 mins left. I remember thinking Minton was class, but looking back it really was a case of a polished turd.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
This is definitive fixtures but am just bouncing this as an antidote to a lot of the moaning on here of late.

Just look at the state of it. My God, we were awful. Not just awful but bottom of the league for six months awful.

We really have come a long way together...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
A great bounce! Brilliant commentary and comments from Millard and Ryan that captured the intensity of feeling and fraying nerves in this match.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Another bounce, just watched it all, god we were dire back then, havent we come along way since then

Zen Frenzy

Jul 2, 2013
Withdean
Frightening reminder of what might have been. After the first of Maskell´s late 2nd half misses, I remember the view from the BHA end making Hereford´s one-on-one with Ormerod look like a certain goal. Didn´t think the celebratory cigar would be coming out of its wrapper at that point.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Phew. It doesn't get any easier to watch, does it?

Even now, it still doesn't.

Can't deny the effort put in by The Albion players-non stop for the whole game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here