Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Video Assistant Referees on Monday

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
No, they show it all on the screen and its not any less boring than watching some overpaid premadonna feigning injury and robbing us, the fans of a full 90 minutes of football.

its not going to be shown on the screens

Be careful what you wish for.

This VARs is going to open up a whole new can of worms. We're just going to be swapping one set of controversies (that we've always had) for a whole new set. You're still going to have humans involved in interpreting decisions.

Check out Juve's 2nd goal vs Torino in the Coppa Italia this week. They go 2-0 up, the fans celebrate....oh but hang on, the guy in the stands thinks there was a foul in the buildup. So all the celebrations go on hold as the ref goes to the touchline and watches a replay of what someone else thought might be a foul. The ref decides its not a foul (it was one of those 'borderline' ones), the goal eventually stands, and the Torino manager goes POSTAL.

Seriously, is this what we want our game to become ? Spontaneous goal celebrations on ice while we hang around as the ref peers into a monitor ? Not for me.

Yeah, I'm kind of with you here. Almost every goal has a potential foul or something in the build-up. We're going to lose a fair few goals. We'd have lost Murray's goal against Southampton in all probability because of Knockaert's handball; Hemed's goal against Newcastle could have been ruled out, there's always something

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
its not going to be shown on the screens

Yeah, I'm kind of with you here. Almost every goal has a potential foul or something in the build-up. We're going to lose a fair few goals. We'd have lost Murray's goal against Southampton in all probability because of Knockaert's handball; Hemed's goal against Newcastle could have been ruled out, there's always something

Yep, and in this instance, the "foul" was a MILE back in the course of the move, right over on the touchline by the halfway line.

Bonkers.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Be careful what you wish for.

This VARs is going to open up a whole new can of worms. We're just going to be swapping one set of controversies (that we've always had) for a whole new set. You're still going to have humans involved in interpreting decisions.

Check out Juve's 2nd goal vs Torino in the Coppa Italia this week. They go 2-0 up, the fans celebrate....oh but hang on, the guy in the stands thinks there was a foul in the buildup. So all the celebrations go on hold as the ref goes to the touchline and watches a replay of what someone else thought might be a foul. The ref decides its not a foul (it was one of those 'borderline' ones), the goal eventually stands, and the Torino manager goes POSTAL.

Seriously, is this what we want our game to become ? Spontaneous goal celebrations on ice while we hang around as the ref peers into a monitor ? Not for me.

Also we will be arguing about why the referee chose to review one incident and not another or why having seen the video he still makes the wrong decision

Take that weapon Dermot Gallagher on sky sports ref watch. He has had all weekend and the show to watch back incidents from multiple camera angles and shows inconsistency between decisions in the same show

Anyone who thinks this is going to improve decision making is mental.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
It was rolled out by MLS last August

I guess the jury's still out on it's effectiveness but VAR did lead to Kaka getting a red card in the Orlando City v Red Bulls game, which otherwise would not have happened. But this review did take about 5 minutes to come back with the result

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Video explanation here-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41430247

I didn’t realise the VAR cannot actually just tell the referee what they think has happened, they have to send footage to the screen on the side of the pitch for the referee to look at? Sounds a bit like overkill- a linesman can just tell the ref what they saw and he believes them- but with the VARs the ref can’t take their word for it (e.g. ‘that was a blatant dive, it’s not a penalty, book the attacker for diving’) - the ref will then need to go over to the screen and watch the footage (e.g. ‘oh yes- obvious dive - how did I miss that - I’m going to book that cheeky attacker’) before changing the decision and taking the appropriate action.

Perhaps in the future they will move to just taking the VARs word for it as that would be quicker.

Not sure if the systems in place vary between USA / Italy / Germany / UK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I do believe that the ref should have to accept the word of the VAR without question.so as to speed up the process.and get on with the game.

That is just about the single worst thing that could happen, and completely undermines the laws of the game.

Decisions are taken 'in the opinion of the referee'. You're now asking for decisions to be taken 'in the opinion of someone else' (my italics). Utter madness.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That is just about the single worst thing that could happen, and completely undermines the laws of the game.

Decisions are taken 'in the opinion of the referee'. You're now asking for decisions to be taken 'in the opinion of someone else' (my italics). Utter madness.

That is your opinion which I totally disagree with. If the ref has to review his decision based on the VAR (a) It will possibkly take much too long and hold up the flow of the game (b) pointless in having a VAR. If as you correctly say the decision is made in the opinon of the ref it makes little difference as the VAR is the ultimate defining .ref..

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That is your opinionwhich I totally disagree with. If the ref has to review huis decision basewd on the VAR (a) It will possibkly take much too long and hold up the flow pf the game (b) pointkless in having a VAR. If as you correctly say the decision is made in the opinon of the ref it makes little difference as the VAR is the ultimate defiuning .ref..

Lol....bit early to be on the bottle

Edit i see you've edited your post...was it originally typed in a fit of rage and did you refer to the VAR?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here