Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Victory Over Germany- The Sword of Damocles For Southgate

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Yeah this luck argument is utter ****ing bollocks.

We had the two best chances in the game - tap ins from 6 yards, from carving them open.

Bar the Muller chance, they didn't carve us open once. We were the better side against a very good tournament side.

Also, the more you control a game, the more "luck" you have. We controlled the majority of that game, and went in for the kill at precisely the right moment. Southgate got it spot on.

Apparently the England xG was 1.35 and Germany 1.36 - make of that what you will...!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Aren't you forgetting Pickford's save against Timo Werner?

I'm still not sure it was a "carving open", certainly wasn't as good a chance as our two tap ins - he was pushed wide and Pickford made it a tough angle. Decent chance, sure.

We deserved to win that game though.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Apparently the England xG was 1.35 and Germany 1.36 - make of that what you will...!

We all know of course that Brighton should be champions of Europe, by that metric...

Not saying it's worthless, and yes it was a tight(ish) game, but I felt we certainly deserved the win and controlled the game for large parts. There are decent articles on the Athletic showing how we shackled their wingbacks and they didn't really have another answer.

I honestly couldn't believe how negative the match thread was on here (well I could, because I know how hysterical NSC can be when it comes to England games...)

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
What utter crap. It was so obvious in 2018 that Southgate was happy to concede to Belgium and finish 2nd in the group. This time I'm not saying he's engineered it but it has worked out more favourably for us as you surely can't believe that a draw with Spain, Belgium and Italy is the same as Czech, Ukraine and Denmark?

But people were saying half way through the group stage that coming 2nd would be better because we would avoid the group of death in the next round… you can’t have it both ways, the draw has fallen how it has, and major nations have gone out, but the so called lesser nations have deserved to win.

Surely some respect also needs to be given to those nations who knocked out the big guns, the very fact they did that shows they aren’t pushovers…

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
But people were saying half way through the group stage that coming 2nd would be better because we would avoid the group of death in the next round… you can’t have it both ways, the draw has fallen how it has, and major nations have gone out, but the so called lesser nations have deserved to win.

Surely some respect also needs to be given to those nations who knocked out the big guns, the very fact they did that shows they aren’t pushovers…

Absolutely this. If Spain had finished ahead of Sweden they would be the opposition on Saturday. Can't be GS fault Spain finished 2nd.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

My point was in respect of a KZNSeagull who seem to be suggesting that after the qualifying there are no favourable draws. In my post, I never suggested that Southgate has tried to engineer the route we now have, it's just how the dice have fallen. Respect to Switzerland, surely, but what big guns have been knocked out by our side of the draw? Really only Czech Repunblic knocking out Holland and that's not such a giant killing.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My point was in respect of a KZNSeagull who seem to be suggesting that after the qualifying there are no favourable draws. In my post, I never suggested that Southgate has tried to engineer the route we now have, it's just how the dice have fallen. Respect to Switzerland, surely, but what big guns have been knocked out by our side of the draw? Really only Czech Repunblic knocking out Holland and that's not such a giant killing.

There was also some good fortune in that Spain failed to top their group and fell into the stronger side of the draw as a result.

They were earmarked as potential quarter final opponents. But Sweden took their slot and then Ukraine kicked on.

I think the original, with form, path was:

Germany/France/Portugal
Spain
Netherlands

or

Sweden
France
Belgium/Italy

But the Euros always throws up a bit of madness. That's why I prefer it to the World Cup, which tends to go more with expectations (2018 excepted).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here