Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente's post match interview

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
We could sign Messi and someone would find a way to criticise the poor sod.

Yup, and probably say that Barnes is better than him because he cost nearly nothing and is still learning the game.

Stumpy Tim

That's a bit harsh. How do you know that he's not learning English, and regardless, he may feel that he is not competent enough to conduct an interview in English at present.

Simster's point was a generic one, not having a go at Vicente. Anyone moving to a foreign country should learn the language, including Brits in Spain. I spent years trying to grapple with Australian, and managed to get by

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Pretty sure CMS or Buckley recently said they all speak pretty good English. Bruno being especially good. Speaking "pretty good" English on a training pitch is one thing, being good enough to speak to an interviewer on the BBC is another.

Still any reason to lay into a player eh!

Craig4004

Aug 30, 2011
Peacehaven
I cringed when the interviewer said "Vincente".

Even the link to his interview from BBC Sussex Sport says ViNNNNcente. It's an embarrassment that he doesn't know how to pronounce it right. Imagine what Vicente was thinking?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I think Vicente should PISS OFF NOW. Being bilingual isn't that hard SORT IT OUT.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Like about 200k Brits on the Costas.

We pay him for his football, not dinner conversation.
Yes, like many of the 200k Brits on the Costas who can't be arsed to learn the local language. I think they are being disrespectful too.

That's a bit harsh. How do you know that he's not learning English, and regardless, he may feel that he is not competent enough to conduct an interview in English at present.
I don't think you properly read what I wrote. I don't mind his English being poor, but would object to him making no effort to speak our language. If he is learning then that is making an effort and fine by me. In fact I am kind of hoping your supposition that he lacks the confidence to be interviewed in English, is correct!

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
It probably doesn't help that all the Spaniards hang around with each other away from the club, where no doubt they speak in Spanish.

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
Pretty sure CMS or Buckley recently said they all speak pretty good English. Bruno being especially good. Speaking "pretty good" English on a training pitch is one thing, being good enough to speak to an interviewer on the BBC is another.

Still any reason to lay into a player eh!

There was a lovely moment on Saturday when Buckley came on, he ran straight to Ulloa to give him instructions. Buckley then ran off only for Ulloa to turn to the bench fling his hands in the air and shake his head presumably having not understood a word.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I get the impression he's a very quiet, shy and nervous guy. I wouldn't want to do an interview in another language unless I knew I was going to understand every word.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
They did a pre match thing on sky with Spanish players at a local restaurant. Everyone turned up except vicente. When the interviewer asked why he wasn't there the other players just burst out laughing ..... He likes to take a siesta was the response with more laughing.

The guys a complete enigma, I wouldn't be surprised if he speaks fluent English !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here