Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente, is he the BEST player that has ever played for us?

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Is he an Albion Legend? Not yet..............................!

I don't think he is that far away from it though.

If he stays fit and helps us into the playoffs, then we manage to sneak promotion then instant LEGEND status is his IMO

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I've always thought that Lawro was our finest ever player but Vicente is at least as good. Can he be that good week in week out like Lawro was though?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Vicente actually reminds me a lot of John Barnes when he was at his peak for Liverpool. Not especially quick, no real turn of pace, but he doesn't need it. He just has that exquisite balance and grace about him. He kind of drifts around challenges, players just fall around him, and he uses his body strength so well to twirl and protect the ball, which is always completely under his spell.

A truly mesmerising player. I've never seen anything quite like him before in the stripes.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
What gets me is his close control, the ball is literally never more than eight inches from his boot unless he's shifting it away to shoot or pass. It's ethereal the way he floats past people without seeming like he's moving at all, the ball clinging to his laces like his boots are magnetic. When Buckley, LuaLua or Noone run at people they knock the ball by and beat the defender for pace over 5/10 yards - the way Vicente ghosted past four or five tackles on two on separate occasions, leaving defenders absolutely for dead like they might as well not have bothered...a joy to behold. Godlike.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What is needed now is for some beautiful lady (wife?) to kiss and caress his aching limbs in preparation for another virtuoso performance on Saturday. Can't wait.................

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Gotsmanov, anyone? He was special - way too good for his teammates, as I recall it, spraying passes around that no-one was smart enough to anticipate.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Gotsmanov, anyone? He was special - way too good for his teammates, as I recall it, spraying passes around that no-one was smart enough to anticipate.

Yep. The only one in the last 30 years capable of holding a candle to Vicente.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He would have been judged differently if the rest of the team were as good as today's team.

Vicente is the best player I have ever seen live...yes having watched Brighton all my life (since 1978)
Er, including all opposition players? I've seen a lot of good footballers live, Vicente may have made the list in his prime, but against Champiionship opposition you can't compare.

YES, YES, YES. HE IS unbelievable.

My father who has been watching since the early/mid sixties, said hasn't seen a player for us of this calibre. (I've only been watching since the late nineties, soooo I've no real input on this).

The man can now, do no wrong. He has to become a new cult hero for us!

Euro 2012 squad???:cool:

NCBHA

Jan 31, 2011
Yes without a doubt we never had a Spanish international with over 30 caps tonight he reminded me of maradona in 86 world cup , his body strength speed & stamina was a joy to watch saviour every game he plays for us he is a very special talent now he's fit he his showing us what he's capable of can see now why Valencia fans loved him

Jesus Christ, he was very good tonight but to put Maradonna down as a comparison is a bit much!
I think some of you may just be getting a little carried away by a decent performance. Let's see it week in week out.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Weren't some of you saying this about Razak a couple of weeks back? Take a chill pill guys, he's started the last two games for us. He was outstanding today, without any shadow of a doubt, and when he hit the bar I immediately said I had not seen anything like that from a player in the stripes since Lawrenson scored the most memorable goal at the Goldstone v Wolves. He oozes class, it is there to be seen, but a 'legend' after a handful of games? Don't think so. But he is the biggest shining star in a very shiny Brighton universe right now.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Weren't some of you saying this about Razak a couple of weeks back? Take a chill pill guys, he's started the last two games for us. He was outstanding today, without any shadow of a doubt, and when he hit the bar I immediately said I had not seen anything like that from a player in the stripes since Lawrenson scored the most memorable goal at the Goldstone v Wolves. He oozes class, it is there to be seen, but a 'legend' after a handful of games? Don't think so. But he is the biggest shining star in a very shiny Brighton universe right now.

I didn't see anyone commenting that Razak was a legend a couple of weeks back. Only that he's had a pretty impressive debut. As was said earlier in the thread Vicente was /is on a whole other planet.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
How when he has the ball, time seems to stand still around him and how he makes it look so easy to do what he wants with the ball. His presence and confidence on the ball is something we have never really seen before and combining that with the style of play and standard of our football we play at this time, I cannot doubt this guy is the best all round player we have ever had!

Great description.

I was talking to my mates about this last night. How is it that he manages to to walk past 3 or 4 players as if they are standing still, he makes it look like the other team is playing in slow motion. We came to the conclusion that it must be a combination of many things like ballnce, body position and close ball control.

Basically he never shows the ball to the defender because he almost always has the perfect body position so they can't even attempt a tackle, you can't teach that.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I missed it last night but the little I have seen of him, he is class but lets simmer down a little. He had a great game against a championship side. For me the most skillful player was and probably always will be Peter Ward. He did it, game after game, season after season.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Watching Vicente makes me smile - by far the most exciting player to don the stripes - such a shame that shot hit the cross bar last night as the crowd at that point were going mental - had that gone in - the atmosphere would have been electric!!

The players really stepped up to the mark last night the football was the best I've watched from them for a long long time - thoroughly enjoyed last night - came home and was on cloud 9!!!

It's a great time to be an Albion fan!!!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
In terms of what he can do with the ball I think only Gotsmanov comes close. Much as those of my generation worship Ward, he never really did prove himself in the top leagues.

However when it comes to comparing Vicente and Lawro it gets a bit hard. They are two completely different types of player. Vicente wins hands down for flair, passing etc but consistency, reliability, tackling? Think it best to say that they were both superb players who played in completely different positions.

No question that Vicente would be the lynchpin of our best ever 11.

HOWEVER...... lets evaluate him at the end of the season... will it be the year of Vicente or just flitting glimpses..... hoping the former.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here