Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente in Hastings Friendly

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Vicente scuffed a few passes and I was somewhat amused that in the Argus Poyet was quoted as saying:

"Unfortunately it wasn't the best place for him to play. It was too dry with the sun and no water on the pitch, so that it was difficult to pass the ball quicker..."

This guys Spanish? Incidentally Bruno and Calderon had no problems.

The pitch was superb - the groundsman won an award for it. Methinks Poyet is making excuses for a slightly rusty Vicente - some of his deadball kicking also went awry.

Great game, nice ground and I was right in front of Caldrons fracas - both players should have got sent off.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm comfortable that I've seen enough of Vicente to suggest he is rather good.

Nope, 45mins in a pre-season friendly is definitely the judge of a player and not past deeds. You're only as good as your last game. We should have let him go when we had the chance!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nope, 45mins in a pre-season friendly is definitely the judge of a player and not past deeds. You're only as good as your last game. We should have let him go when we had the chance!
Is [MENTION=9785]ken tiler[/MENTION] really judging Vicente on half a match in Hastings or is he merely passing comment at Poyet's amusing excuse for his feeble performance? I don't think you need to be too precious!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Our former Champions League players must be wondering what the f*ck they are doing in these non-league stadia!

I wouldn't blame them for being a bit demotivated, having spent most of their careers at the likes of Nou Camp, Old Trafford etc

Have you been in a lower league Spanish stadium?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Our former Champions League players must be wondering what the f*ck they are doing in these non-league stadia!

I wouldn't blame them for being a bit demotivated, having spent most of their careers at the likes of Nou Camp, Old Trafford etc

Why? I'm sure the clubs in Spain do the same thing with their pre-season friendlies as well. They're only training games really, it's no different from playing on the training pitch apart from there being a few more people there.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I can just imagine it. Vicente plays at a 100%, goes round ten men, curling top corner goals in left, right and centre, and then that big number 5 Hastings lump crashes into him and he's out for the season. Everyone on here goes "Poyet you idiot, why didn't you tell him to take it easy out there?"

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Vicente scuffed a few passes and I was somewhat amused that in the Argus Poyet was quoted as saying:

"Unfortunately it wasn't the best place for him to play. It was too dry with the sun and no water on the pitch, so that it was difficult to pass the ball quicker..."

This guys Spanish? Incidentally Bruno and Calderon had no problems.

The pitch was superb - the groundsman won an award for it. Methinks Poyet is making excuses for a slightly rusty Vicente - some of his deadball kicking also went awry.

Great game, nice ground and I was right in front of Caldrons fracas - both players should have got sent off.

Where were you last season? :ffsparr:

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Is [MENTION=9785]ken tiler[/MENTION] really judging Vicente on half a match in Hastings or is he merely passing comment at Poyet's amusing excuse for his feeble performance? I don't think you need to be too precious!

Definitely the latter - Vicente is a superb player and I saw him a lot last season. Its just Poyets need to make rather bizarre set of excuses for his ring rustiness. Honestly the pitch was one of the best Ive ever seen.

Vicente seemed to be enjoying himself and was smiling at the possibly quaint surroundings.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I was actually being sarcastic to [MENTION=1034]itszamora[/MENTION], but I guess it hasn't worked!

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Point taken Bold Seagull - didn't really pick up on that. Incidentally I didn't feel Vicente overall played that badly - just a few misplaced passes. The whole team was a little ponderous in the first half.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Definitely the latter - Vicente is a superb player and I saw him a lot last season. Its just Poyets need to make rather bizarre set of excuses for his ring rustiness. Honestly the pitch was one of the best Ive ever seen.

Except it WAS bone dry and exceptionally slow.. not what pro players are used to at all and not great for passing.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Point taken Bold Seagull - didn't really pick up on that. Incidentally I didn't feel Vicente overall played that badly - just a few misplaced passes. The whole team was a little ponderous in the first half.

I've only seen the Lewes friendly so far, and Vicente didn't feature so can't comment. I will correct you on one thing though, Vicente actually never misplaces a pass, this is a fact. What actually happens is that a team mate has failed to be where they should be...

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham

Vicente seemed to be enjoying himself and was smiling at the possibly quaint surroundings.

That was what I wanted to know: he looked like he wanted to be there?

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
That was not my impression and I didn't see any of the other players having any problem - I don't suppose Vicente is used to bone dry pitches in Spain!

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
That was what I wanted to know: he looked like he wanted to be there?

Yes he worked very hard and looked enthusiastic at times, given that the whole team was in practice match mode for the first half. I was very impressed with Bruno and the trialist from Le Harvre, Balmy. Not so much by Ryan Harley - must have been the pitch spoiling his ability to pass.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
He was bit "ring rusty" at first but soon settled into his usual great ways.
A few passes went astray early on and he looked very annoyed with himself but he got better as the half wore on. A few of those lovely mazy runs that get us all swooning and a couple of pretty good shots on goal. Great corners, as usual.

He seemed very relaxed and happy, smiling quite a bit before the game and having a good old natter with Barnesy. I'm sure Barnes doesn't speak Spanish, so I assume that the Great One's English is coming along ok.

And I really didn't want him busting a gut to get to every ball in a pre-season friendly.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The pitch was indeed very good but the ball didn't run and a few Brighton players under hit the pass. Added to this on a few occasions players were left waiting for a ball, hit aerially to bounce in front of them only to bounce vertically instead of on the trajectory it was on. So Gus was right.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here