Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente - A 2nd Year?

SuperWill

Feb 17, 2012
Hove
Apologies if this has already been posted but looking positive.

Taken from Eurosport -

Brighton midfielder Vicente paid tribute to the Seagulls medical staff as he scored a brace on his return to action against Portsmouth on Saturday.

The Spaniard has only made nine appearances for Gus Poyet's side this season but is targeting a lengthy run in the team after an impressive comeback.

"I have been very happy here, not only with the team and players but also with the staff, I have been treated very well," he told the club's official website.

"It has been hard for me with injuries but it's important to keep training - I have had more time off than I would have wanted to.

"I am very comfortable living in Brighton - it is a very different culture and style of living but I have got used to it and I'm happy.

"I'm also very happy with the fans' reaction to me and I hope we can get to the play-offs to reward them."

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I believe if he can stay fit for most of the rest of this season, he'll be offered something. I think we have a good chance, as he seems quite loyal, likes it here, we have a good Spanish contingent, and Spanish speakers.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
If he can play regularly through the next few weeks then I think he'll be offered a deal although given the drama of this season I'm sure it'll be much more appearance or availability based.

The decision will be ours, can't see anyone else taking a risk on him unless it's a pure pay and play basis which I doubt he'd bother with.

If he doesn't turn out for more than 1 or 2 brief sub appearances he'll just go quietly away

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If he stays fit, we'll get into the play-offs. That is not to say the efforts of the entire squad are what got us here, but he really can be the difference. The game against Portsmouth was case in point - he came on and changed the game. He absolutely ran the game in the last 20 minutes, and we went from a team marginally better than them to being a far superior outfit.

I actually think he's still good enough to be playing for a team of, say, Everton's standard. I can't believe we've got him, and even better, he clearly believes he "owes" our medical team for getting him up and running again and that's why he could well be here next season.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
If he only plays a handful of games next year, he's still worth the contract. The guy is Champions League quality and unlike anything I've ever seen in an Albion shirt. If he plays 5-10 games a season, I'll still consider myself lucky to have seem someone of his ability in an Albion shirt. And let's not forget he could have been earning a lot (lot lot lot) more elsewhere, but came to us for footballing reasons. We're lucky to have him.

SuperWill

Feb 17, 2012
Hove
"he clearly believes he "owes" our medical team for getting him up and running again and that's why he could well be here next season"

Thats was I kinda of got with that and he seems to be settling in to Brighton which is a pretty big thing. There was always going to be a certain amount of settling in time as you get used to your new surroundings and culture. If he feels settled in Brighton, and he is happy with the medical team, then I can see him staying on a relatively low value contract.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The decision will be ours, can't see anyone else taking a risk on him unless it's a pure pay and play basis which I doubt he'd bother with.

It's a game of opinions but with the greatest respect I disagree. Clubs will be offering him deals at the end of the season, regardless of the number of apperances he makes for us, no way will it be pay as you play. Vicente's got way to much class for that.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If he stays fit, we'll get into the play-offs. That is not to say the efforts of the entire squad are what got us here, but he really can be the difference. The game against Portsmouth was case in point - he came on and changed the game. He absolutely ran the game in the last 20 minutes, and we went from a team marginally better than them to being a far superior outfit.

I actually think he's still good enough to be playing for a team of, say, Everton's standard. I can't believe we've got him, and even better, he clearly believes he "owes" our medical team for getting him up and running again and that's why he could well be here next season.

totally this...... with the greatest respect to our other players, an 80% fit Vicente is probably still better than the others, the guys vision and touch is unbelievable.

who knows what may have happened had he not come on, but he transformed the game. We have never had such a player, who was genuinely world class at our club and if there is any chance of getting him on another contract, its a gamble worth taking imho.

worse case scenario and its just more cameos, he's still a match winner, but beyond what we see on matchday, is what Gus has said about him training and how brilliant he is............I would bet that players like KLL, Nooney and Buckley would benefit massively from having someone like Vicente at the club to look up to and learn from.

E'Viva Vicente

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
I've never had a name put on the back of an albion shirt but I'm feeling a lotta love for Vicente right now and may just have to do just that! :)

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It's a game of opinions but with the greatest respect I disagree. Clubs will be offering him deals at the end of the season, regardless of the number of apperances he makes for us, no way will it be pay as you play. Vicente's got way to much class for that.

Well you could well be correct, this has been a peculiar subject for sure and I think it's baffled even those in the game proper! My thinking starts with last season .. he became available so why join us? It's flattering for our club but I don't really buy the "Gus talked him into joining us ahead of others" stuff if he could have gone to a mid table Prem team (Villa/Everton etc) even more likely a bigger name team in Europe. I reckon we gave him the chance he needed. But there's a long history and he comes at a big cost (minutes played) and I think many managers trying to build teams would rule him out as it's difficult to get momentum with the odd game here and there.

No doubt his class and capability though and if he were fit he's at a much better level than us and clubs will be queuing for him. Hope it doesn't happen he continues to "recover" and we get a good season out of him.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I cant see him wanting to go anywhere else in the Championship, and I cant see a Premier League club wanting to take him just yet. If he stays relatively fit for the rest of the season I would have thought we'll give him another contract. Even if we could get half an hour every other game out of him, then that could easily be worth an extra 6 points or so.

We've spent so long getting him fit, it would be sickening for us to let him go at the end of the season, only for him to start ripping the league apart for Southampton next year or something.

What do all the Vicente haters think? That's not a dig, but a genuine question.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I think Vicente needed to be at a club where he's easily the best player. At a bigger club, it'd be far easier for a manager just to park him in treatment and forget about him, which seems to be how he felt he was treated before he moved here.

Whether this holds true next year remains to be seen. He doesn't seem like the "typical" footballer though (lets be honest, he wouldn't be with us if he was, he'd be raking in four times as much in somebody's treatment room), so I'm hoping that he'll want to show us what he can really do when he's fit, and will sign for another year rather than risk being a forgotten sicknote at a club which doesn't value him as highly.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I don't care about the details of the deal, but would definitely like to see him stay. From what I understand he's had a bunch of problems (mental and physical) that he has fought to overcome and has been helped/encouraged/motivated by Gus and the staff. He's been given a second chance here, why would he go anywhere else? If he stays he could become (if he isn't already) an Albion hero.

I don't believe that he "owes" us, but I get the impression that he appreciates the efforts the club have made to help and accommodate him. On top of that, it's blindingly obvious that the majority of fans love him.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Its always a dangerous game assigning points earned to an individual player but I think we can safely say the Leicester game and probably Portsmouth would have ended as draws without him. Also two assists in the Leeds game (if memeory serves me correct) - so thats in all likelihood 6 or 7 points he has earned us.

He is the dogs bollocks and I would happily sign him for another year for cameos like saturdays one.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
100% agree with this. Any other team in the prem he would be rotting in the treatment room.
I think our relationship with Vicente and vice versa is mutually agreeable. Looking forward to more magic this season and next from the dagger.
Oh and a massive raspberry and hand gesture to all the people slagging him off some months ago. Told you he'd come good :p

Sent by Derek Acorah via the spirit world.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
What do all the Vicente haters think? That's not a dig, but a genuine question.

I think they haven't got the guts to even talk about Vicente anymore, their quite frankly disgusting (at times) and unreasonable abuse of an injured Albion player has been 100% blown out of the water by the mans contribution to our season from just NINE appearances. I directly attribute 10 points of our total to him (1 v Leeds (coming on at half time 0-2 down), 3 v Leicester, 3 v Leeds away, 3 v Pompey).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here