Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vettel the best ever?

BHAWise

Oct 5, 2011
Seaford
The best driver normally gets the best car imo. All the greats have driven the best cars if you look back. You can't knock what he's done/doing so has to go down as one of the best.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
His record with BMW and more impressively with Torro Rosso is something that stands him out from the rest!

To be a true great, he needs to move to Ferrari or Mclaren and repeat what he's doing now

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
He's killing his sport.
I've barely watched F1 this season because it's so predictable.

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
he is world class in short

but

you wonder if he would have won this years title had they changed the tyre's after Silverstone. before the champion was close and the Red Bull was struggling like everyone else to turn them on, the change meant that Vettel and red bull could revert back to the 2012 set up and make the most of it.

teams that also improved due to this change include Sauber and Lotus

Teams that struggled with the change back to 2012 ones include Merc and Ferrari

the facts are simple look at Vettel before and after

i've hardly watched it since the change, i don't mind him winning it but its how one sided it is..surely this tyre change shouldn't have been allowed

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He's killing his sport.
I've barely watched F1 this season because it's so predictable.

He's not killing it, what's he meant to do, intentionally drive slower!?!

No, Ferrari, McClaren and Mercedes with all their resources should have caught up with Red Bull by now after 4 years, but they are crap are killing it. The only thing that's happened in the last 4 years is Lotus, Sauber and other teams have caught up with them. F1 is actually really exciting racing and unpredictable from 2nd place down!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
he is world class in short

but

you wonder if he would have won this years title had they changed the tyre's after Silverstone. before the champion was close and the Red Bull was struggling like everyone else to turn them on, the change meant that Vettel and red bull could revert back to the 2012 set up and make the most of it.

teams that also improved due to this change include Sauber and Lotus

Teams that struggled with the change back to 2012 ones include Merc and Ferrari

the facts are simple look at Vettel before and after

i've hardly watched it since the change, i don't mind him winning it but its how one sided it is..surely this tyre change shouldn't have been allowed

Really!? I mean he was still leading the championship...

Results pre-British grand prix for Vettel:

3 wins, 5 podiums from 7 races

They no doubt improved, but they were well on their way to the title with or without the tyre changes.

In fact Hamilton got his only win this season after the tyre change followed by a podium.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
I worked in motorsport for over 35 yrs. I was working in F1 when Lauda had his horrific crash but went on to win another title. No way is Vettel the best ever, he drives what is the best car on the grid, something that is nothing more than a huge mobile computer game. Put him a car where you change gear with a lever and do the whole race on one set of tyres then we would see just how "good" he really is!!!!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I worked in motorsport for over 35 yrs. I was working in F1 when Lauda had his horrific crash but went on to win another title. No way is Vettel the best ever, he drives what is the best car on the grid, something that is nothing more than a huge mobile computer game. Put him a car where you change gear with a lever and do the whole race on one set of tyres then we would see just how "good" he really is!!!!

So that's pretty much every driver post 1989 out of the equation then....

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Vettel is a very good, if not great driver but definitely benefitted from having the best car, by the best designer and having better reliability. However I think there are half a dozen other drivers who could do a similar job in that car given the same circumstances. Vettel also has that Schumacher-esque luck in avoiding the problems that afflicted his team mate and rivals.

You do not have to be a really great driver if you have the best car. Button made the most of having a dominant Brawn car when he won his World Championship. He still had to mae it count so is a very good driver like Vettel and his smooth style is a real skill, but at Honda and McLaren JB rarely had the luck to go with it.

Vettel certainly has that ultra ruthless gene that sets apart the top drivers and I think the cocoon created around him by Helmut Marko has encouraged and indulged him over his team mate.

I really hope the new engine formula next season might give the other teams a chance to catch up but no doubt Adrian Newey is on the case.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I would like Vettel to win a few more titles, races, pole positions and fastest laps, if only to remove that cheat Schumacher from the record books! But is he the best ever? Of course not, he has just benefited from driving some of the best cars ever. In terms of absolute talent then Senna and Villeneuve are my preferred choices. Villeneuve in particular went closer to the edge than almost anyone before or since; has anyone else ever finished a practice session 11 seconds faster than the man in 2nd place? Schumacher fails the test because he never had to race his team mate; some of the best racing was Prost v Senna even though their cars were a country mile faster than the opposition these 2 raced hard in every race. Piquet was another 3 times World Champion who, on his day, was untouchable. Unfortunately he became a bit of an embarrassment in later years and was clearly only in it for the money.

Not sure I answered your question there ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here