Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Veterinary costs under investigation

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
Why are they ridiculous? Did you spend 7 years at university studying etc? Should you have a pet if you cannot afford? they aren’t necessities but a luxury. Classic price of everything value of nothing stuff. Do you speak to vets and their staff ever? You’d realise many are on minimum wage equivalents. Total bollocks they’re all earning fortunes.

In the US, because people pay for medical care and don’t have the NHS, people rarely grumble about vet fees because they understand medical treatment costs and there’s no NHS fairy picking up the tab. Same with animals therefore. Sorry but demonising vets and their practices is a trend that’s completely unfair and ignorant rubbish in the main just as you’re spouting and spreading. Do yourself a favour and don’t comment on something you clearly don’t understand.
My daughter spent 5 years learning to be a vet. Very little holidays time off as most vet students have to do placements with farmers, zoos, other vet practices and numerous other organisations that deal with animals including abattoirs. 15 years in practice and she earns as lead medicines vet for a large stock-market listed practice about £60K.
The biggest problem for her is the drugs they are obliged to use. Most of the generic drugs available to the NHS for human usage are NOT licensed for animals. Vets have to use the proprietary drugs which are extortionate in cost. All of the medical equipment used is a cost to the owners. How much do you think an xray machine or a scanner costs ,As above get your facts sorted before accusing!

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
My daughter spent 5 years learning to be a vet. Very little holidays time off as most vet students have to do placements with farmers, zoos, other vet practices and numerous other organisations that deal with animals including abattoirs. 15 years in practice and she earns as lead medicines vet for a large stock-market listed practice about £60K.
The biggest problem for her is the drugs they are obliged to use. Most of the generic drugs available to the NHS for human usage are NOT licensed for animals. Vets have to use the proprietary drugs which are extortionate in cost. All of the medical equipment used is a cost to the owners. How much do you think an xray machine or a scanner costs ,As printed above get your facts sorted before accusing!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The biggest problem for her is the drugs they are obliged to use. Most of the generic drugs available to the NHS for human usage are NOT licensed for animals. Vets have to use the proprietary drugs which are extortionate in cost. All of the medical equipment used is a cost to the owners. How much do you think an xray machine or a scanner costs ,As above get your facts sorted before accusing!
I think I demonstrated I have a far greater understanding simply by putting the other side across in this echo chamber, and btw years of commercial procurement experience so thank you, I understand wholesale costs, off trade etc without boring you / always evident in the 30sec scribble and post that is this forum!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I've generally been pretty happy with my vet, and my dog is a bit of an accident prone dick so it's not like I've not been in there regularly. The dog did something to his ankle recently and went lame, I took him in and the vet gave me a choice but said if it's fractured we really need to know, so I was booked in for an Xray (and sedation) on the Monday and the quote was £800. Over the weekend the swelling had settled down a bit, the dog was bearing some weight, so went in, the vet had another good look, said they were now confident it wasn't fractured, and sent us on our way and didn't charge for that visit (as I'd paid £45 I think for the consultation on the Saturday and £30 for a tiny bottle of Loxicom). Could have easily continued with the Xray but didn't.

When he was young he also broke his leg and need plates and pins, and I was referred to Anderson Abercromby over Horsham way, and they were excellent. I was insured, but the operation was £4600, but the bill was 3 or 4 pages long itemising everything, and you really appreciated as @portlock seagull says, the value you get from the NHS. There wasn't anything on the bill that jumped out at me as unreasonable, but very detailed, 3 swaps @50p, dressing @£2, nurse 2hrs @£35 ph etc.

Like car garages though, as a layman customer you are open to unscrupulous practices, and rather than this thread being against vets in general, I think we need to be mindful it's really against those unscrupulous operators rather than vets in general.
Try £30k for a liver shunt. Pet plan covered all of it. We’d paid £60 in insurance premiums by then. Yes, you read that right. Winner winner chicken dinner! Lived for another 14 years… :)

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
You seem quite any angry person, and i'm not sure engaging in debate with you is wise, so I'll keep my reply brief.

Firstly, I'm not stupid, as you imply, and understand that keeping an animal is not cheap. Which is why I have been cautious and invested in a good, albeit expensive, insurance plan for my pet which has to date has covered his various pricy procedures and investigations. I also subscribe to my local (NOT New Priory) vet's own pet plan. This is costing me £160 a month already. Considering his age, I'm expecting this to rise not inconsiderably in September, and I will pay for this, or otherwise budget.

My point was that £270 for a 15 minute (I actually suspect it was nearer 10) consultation was a ridiculous amount of money. I still think it was a ridiculous amount of money. Is it not? Really?

I do not demonise Vets. I can quite believe that some of the staff are poorly paid. Most veterinary staff have the best interests of the animals at heart. The receptionist (New Priory) who took my £270 payment was clearly embarrassed when I raised my eyebrows at the amount. My local vets (NOT New Priory) are happy to write, in fact even suggested they write a prescription for my dog's numerous medicines so i can source cheaper (half the price) tablets.

The two main concerns on here, echoed by others and by the Monopolies Commission, are the extortionate rises in vet's fees, in particular at those practices that have been taken over by big business, and the pushing of services which are not fully explained nor necessarily needed, to people who are in a vulnerable position and only want the best for their animals. Judging from my own experience, and comments from others on here, New Priory seem to be particularly guilty of this.
Well said. Although you don't need to explain yourself to Mr Angry.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I'm feeling guilty. I rescued my cat via the RSPCA. She was handed into a RSPCA hospital in London, was marked pts but bounced back quickly while being diagnosed with neuromuscular disorder. She was then in foster in London, unwanted for 6 months, advertised in Brighton and i took her as an indoor cat during covid. I'm the type of goodygoody who will ask at the rescue centre to see the cat they've had the longest and take that one. On discharge from them they said theyd cover meds for her lifetime relating to her diagnosis (gabapentin). Thing is she was discharged on one gabbie a day (£1 a tablet) and now she is on 3 a day due to overgrooming that the vet feels is pain related. Gabapentin is now a controlled drug (it has a street value) and she has to be seen every 3 months at the vets, by law, for it to be prescribed. Last visit they tried to charge me £160 for one months tablets and the appointment until I reminded them she was covered by the RSPCA. But that's a hell of a yearly bill to the RSPCA - my question is (and I'm bit embarassed to ask the vets) do they charge the RSPCA the same amount as they wanted to charge me or do they charge mates-rates/trade prices? (btw the RPSCA in Brighton only refers to this vet practice).

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Good morning people, this seemed like a good place to post this (please remove if not allowed).
My sister and her partners 3 year old dog has been going through treatment this week and the bill has quickly escalated to over £15000 which is quite staggering 🫨
They are only young and this could affect them for quite some time.
I know there's plenty of dog lovers on here, I'm not expecting any donations but thought it was worth posting anyway.
Good day to you 👍

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here