Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Very Low Calorie Diet

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Cheers [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] that's me on a lifestyle change, based around 1,500 calories intake and fasting 9 p.m. 'til 12 noon. I'm lucky as I can still jog and play 5-a-side (slowly) so I'll up the exercise a little but resist too many of the cheeky pints after, and, as you say, they've got to come off the 1,500 so options reasonably limited anyway.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Another shout out for MyFitnessPal. Very, very helpful app even in it's free mode.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Thank you to everyone that has replied. I didn't expect more than a few responses but I guess a lot of folk, like myself, have piled on the pounds in middle age and now have a story to tell. I'm struggling to read it all at work but I'll be sure to have a good look tonight. My wife has texted to say the big box of meal supplements has arrived so I guess tomorrow is day one.....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Cheers [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] that's me on a lifestyle change, based around 1,500 calories intake and fasting 9 p.m. 'til 12 noon. I'm lucky as I can still jog and play 5-a-side (slowly) so I'll up the exercise a little but resist too many of the cheeky pints after, and, as you say, they've got to come off the 1,500 so options reasonably limited anyway.

Good luck, and keep us updated in here!

It can feel like calories from drinks don't "count" but a drinking session (4-5 etc) could easily blow most of a days' worth of calories, based on 1,500. I had other medical reasons for getting rid of alcohol and caffeine (gastritis, gout), but it's been very beneficial.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thank you to everyone that has replied. I didn't expect more than a few responses but I guess a lot of folk, like myself, have piled on the pounds in middle age and now have a story to tell. I'm struggling to read it all at work but I'll be sure to have a good look tonight. My wife has texted to say the big box of meal supplements has arrived so I guess tomorrow is day one.....

Sorry for hijacking your thread a bit, jonnyrovers!

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I was just about to add that sleep is very important but I was beaten to it. If you struggle with what to eat then have a look at Heul complete food. It’s nutritionally complete and dead easy to keep control of calorie intake. I’ve been on it since the new year and am enjoying it and seeing the benefits. I did read all the reviews and decided to give it a go even though I was pretty sceptical. Turns out I didn’t need to be. Best of luck with reversing your diabetes and the weight loss. There’s been some great posts on here with tips and advice and please remember that you can always have some support and positivity from your NSC family whenever you need it so do keep us updated on your progress.

Thank you

I will

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

I'm with you, 19kg to lose by the end of the year, achievable but needs focus, the very best of luck!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
All well and good but virtually impossible for anyone in full time work, especially if you want to prepare it yourself.

Very difficult for a lot of people, particularly with young kids.

Going by roads and trains, the vast majority of people are home by 6.30. The first person home makes dinner, shirley eating by 7pm is feasible?

Half our population is overweight. Do 33 million folk arrive home mid to late evening?

Obviously some exceptions eg someone commuting from London with no family at home.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Must confess I'm really not a fan of crash diets. Seen loads of people go on them (especially those with the month's worth of stuff being delivered in a box - Liter Life etc - rave about how much weight they lose in maybe 4-6 weeks, then a couple of months later it's all gone back on again (and often even more). I'm not sure 800Kcal a day is even healthy. Unless the weight loss is desperately/urgently needed and there's no option, wouldn't a longer term, more sustainable plan be better (or at least switch to this after using the VLCD to kick start things)?

FWIW I'm about 6 stone down on my peak weight, but it took me several years of losing maybe a pound or two a week, with long spells of plateauing. I didn't change my diet too much but did start jogging and now average around 35-40m per week which partly compensates for some bad eating habits. I still vary a bit (I can easily fall in to an unhealthy eating spell, and I also eat too much - portion control is my biggest issue with food) and if I need to drop some lbs now I try to reduce sugar, alcohol and carbs. The easiest regime I've found to stick to is the 16:8 diet and that seems to work pretty well based on what I've heard from others. .

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Going by roads and trains, the vast majority of people are home by 6.30. The first person home makes dinner, shirley eating by 7pm is feasible?

Half our population is overweight. Do 33 million folk arrive home mid to late evening?

Obviously some exceptions eg someone commuting from London with no family at home.

Fair enough I guess I'm looking at it from a parent's perspective again. Pick up daughter from nursery, home at 6, give her snack and a bath, bedtime stories, screaming fit, one more story, daddy I'm not tired, oh shit it's 9 o'clock.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I'm with you, 19kg to lose by the end of the year, achievable but needs focus, the very best of luck!

All the best to you too brother.

Would it be self indulgent to blog about progress in this thread? It feels very supportive already and it's clear there are several folk on the same journey.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Would it be self indulgent to blog about progress in this thread?

Please do so. There aren't many things more motivating than hearing success stories from people in similar situations to your own, I find.

:thumbsup:

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Must confess I'm really not a fan of crash diets. Seen loads of people go on them (especially those with the month's worth of stuff being delivered in a box - Liter Life etc - rave about how much weight they lose in maybe 4-6 weeks, then a couple of months later it's all gone back on again (and often even more). I'm not sure 800Kcal a day is even healthy. Unless the weight loss is desperately/urgently needed and there's no option, wouldn't a longer term, more sustainable plan be better (or at least switch to this after using the VLCD to kick start things)?

FWIW I'm about 6 stone down on my peak weight, but it took me several years of losing maybe a pound or two a week, with long spells of plateauing. I didn't change my diet too much but did start jogging and now average around 35-40m per week which partly compensates for some bad eating habits. I still vary a bit (I can easily fall in to an unhealthy eating spell, and I also eat too much - portion control is my biggest issue with food) and if I need to drop some lbs now I try to reduce sugar, alcohol and carbs. The easiest regime I've found to stick to is the 16:8 diet and that seems to work pretty well based on what I've heard from others. .

The medical advice I've received assures me that at my age with no other health problems a VLCD for 12 weeks is my best bet for reversing newly diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes. The kind of discipline required suits my 'all or nothing' life long behaviours. I just can't do moderation, I need rules. After 12 weeks is likely when I'll really struggle, as that's where the sustained healthy behaviour has to happen.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I use Weight Watchers and have managed to shift just under 16 kgs (or 2 stone 7 lbs in old money) since July 2019 (7 months). The advantage of the WW system is that you can still eat what you fancy, you just have to cut down on portion size, track what you eat and try to balance your food intake out every week. I also exercise a lot (tennis 2/3 times a week, cycling whenever possible, gym 2 times a week including running, walking up inclines, rowing, static cycling - anything to get a sweat up basically). The only thing that throws my regime out of kilter is attending the Amex every other week and drinking copious amounts of Harveys!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here