Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Very clever O2 scam

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Got a call this morning allegedly from O2 who told me that they had a campaign running to reduce monthly prices. I was immediately suspicious as the number calling was a London hard line number but I ran with it.

I asked what they were trying to sell me and what information they needed. None I was told. I advised them that I had an OK rate already of £9 per month. Guy told me that they would reduce it to £5. He’d send me a text to confirm it was me and all I had to do was let him know the security number. I then received a text from O2, on messaging that O2 had used in the past. At this stage discretion got the better of me and I ended the call, although I couldn’t see what they could have done with it as I’d given them zero information.

I called O2 and asked if they were running a campaign. They are not and this is a scam. Apparently there are some upgrades going on at O2 and scammers have accessed their systems. If I’d read the code back they would have had access to all my details as they already had the number, and would have been able to use my account for whatever nefarious reasons. Exactly what that would be I don’t know but just a heads up for anyone else with O2 who gets one of the calls.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I assume they were sitting in front of this screen and, armed with your number, could get O2 to send you the message with the code they'd then need...

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 12.24.46.png

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I assume they were sitting in front of this screen and, armed with your number, could get O2 to send you the message with the code they'd then need...

View attachment 162026
If the call had come through on an O2 number, which I gather they are capable of doing, I could have been duped :eek:

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Even if it shows London as a hardline number, this can easily be disguised. More often than not they're calling from New Delhi or Kolkata, I like asking them where they are calling from, and then telling them that my 'tracker' is showing them calling from Kolkata. It immediately takes them off script and you can have a little fun pretending you know where they are.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
Got a call this morning allegedly from O2 who told me that they had a campaign running to reduce monthly prices. I was immediately suspicious as the number calling was a London hard line number but I ran with it.

I asked what they were trying to sell me and what information they needed. None I was told. I advised them that I had an OK rate already of £9 per month. Guy told me that they would reduce it to £5. He’d send me a text to confirm it was me and all I had to do was let him know the security number. I then received a text from O2, on messaging that O2 had used in the past. At this stage discretion got the better of me and I ended the call, although I couldn’t see what they could have done with it as I’d given them zero information.

I called O2 and asked if they were running a campaign. They are not and this is a scam. Apparently there are some upgrades going on at O2 and scammers have accessed their systems. If I’d read the code back they would have had access to all my details as they already had the number, and would have been able to use my account for whatever nefarious reasons. Exactly what that would be I don’t know but just a heads up for anyone else with O2 who gets one of the calls.
Someone tried this on me a while ago too.

O2 send two text messages - the first is warning you about scams and not to reveal the code to anyone, staff wouldn't ask for it. The second text with the code arrives a few seconds after the first.
By chance I had to access my account yesterday - see screenshot below for the two separate texts.

Did you get 2 x text messages?

1686315091576.png

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The advice I give to my parents:

NOBODY WILL EVER RING YOU ABOUT ANYTHING IMPORTANT EVER.

HSBC really did call me recently, but I didn’t know that. I insisted on calling their main number later.

[It was a ‘friendly’ chat where they in essence wanted to sell me financial products, but went away empty handed].

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
I then received a text from O2, on messaging that O2 had used in the past.
That part was a legit message from O2, it's the security code to use to access things like your account. If you give this code to the scammers they can access your account and buy phones on your card.

Never give out that code over the phone, O2 won't ask for it.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Had the same call this week. Guy texted me a code to read back to him. At the same time i received the text, I got a work call.
Said to the guy, gotta go have a call to take. He asked me just to give the code to him quickly before I left him............just cut him off !!

Barstewards !:ninja:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I tried to report a similar call to O2 and when calling O2 to report it I failed my security check so they wouldn't talk to me. :moo:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
That part was a legit message from O2, it's the security code to use to access things like your account. If you give this code to the scammers they can access your account and buy phones on your card.

Never give out that code over the phone, O2 won't ask for it.
It’s much worse than this.

If somebody gets access to your phone number they can sim swap (essentially switching your phone number to another SIM card), which makes things like accessing bank accounts, financial information etc much easier.

My dad had thousands stolen from his bank account by a sim swap scam. If your phone service disappears for seemingly no reason (it will say no service or similar) and doesn’t come back after a phone restart, contact your bank & phone company immediately to inform them you think you’ve been sim swapped. Your phone company can inform you if there is a different problem (signal tower down for example), and your bank can temporarily block any outgoing payments.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The advice I give to my parents:

NOBODY WILL EVER RING YOU ABOUT ANYTHING IMPORTANT EVER.
And, in the rare event it is important, they will leave a message.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here