Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Veltman?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Looked tactical to me.

Agree. I'm not one to dig out our players but he's looked a bit disappointing in the last 2 games. Crosses were poor, and he left too much room for teams to maraude down their left. Admittedly neither Fulham nor Spuds took advantage of the space, but....

This could just be me, though. I'm still one of those fools who saw something in Ali J :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Agree. I'm not one to dig out our players but he's looked a bit disappointing in the last 2 games. Crosses were poor, and he left too much room for teams to maraude down their left. Admittedly neither Fulham nor Spuds took advantage of the space, but....

This could just be me, though. I'm still one of those fools who saw something in Ali J :lolol:

Edit, I suppose what I have in my mind is the left; March is a better attacker and becoming a decent defender too.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Looked tactical to me. Fresh legs and the useful option of a wing target man to hit from goalkicks etc. Which helped close things out.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Veltman has played very well , barely ever makes a mistake . Absolute bargain buy . Great to have such a high quality replacement for Lamptey . I think the new guy Karbo is meant to be super quick , if he can defend as well as Veltman , we are in for a treat . Lamptey one side and Karbo the other .

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
A absolute steal from Ajax , paying under 1 million for a player of this guys ability is almost robbery , if he was a moneyball buy then we hit the jackpot , pure class .

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Anyone heard from Dwayne yet?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
As far as I'm concerned Burn has only had 1 shocker for us against Wolves, and the winger that on his day does that to any full back he likes.

Burn is more than good enough in my opinion.

Veltman back on topic has been excellent of late.

Very much this but, now Ryan and Stephens have gone, Propper can't get in and Solly is playing out of his skin, people need a scapegoat to WHINE about. Dan Burn is that man.

Veltman has been a superb signing, and I'd be saying that even if we'd playing market value rather than the frankly stupid amount for which he ended up going.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Disagree for Wednesday. Veltman would defend Mane better. Lamptey against sides we want to attack and JV against sides where we'll need to be a little more careful.

Mane's injured

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Yes.

Veltman is a 7 out of 10 player.

Lamptey is a match winner.

It's nowhere near that simple.
Veltman is a minimum 7 out of 10 every match & barely ever makes a defensive mistake.
Lamptey can be a match winner but can be very naive defensively.
As someone said earlier, JV is a major part of our recent defensive stability

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
It's nowhere near that simple.
Veltman is a minimum 7 out of 10 every match & barely ever makes a defensive mistake.
Lamptey can be a match winner but can be very naive defensively.
As someone said earlier, JV is a major part of our recent defensive stability

I think Dutch fans would have something to say about that. When he joined us this was reported.

Dutch football experts Elko Born and Michael Statham say the 29-year-old has a reputation in Holland for making mistakes and picking up one too many yellow and red cards.

Dutch legend Rafael van der Vaart is one of his most outspoken critics.

The former Spurs and Real Madrid midfielder lambasted Veltman for his defending for Spain’s goal in a 1-1 friendly draw in November.

"Everything goes wrong. I don't know what Veltman is doing there, he runs like a Boeing [plane]," said van der Vaart.

"He tends to get booked and sent off too often - usually as a result of some mistake he made. An attacker beats him and he might have no other option but to commit a foul. This has always been a part of his game.

According to fellow Dutch football expert Statham, there is a "collective sigh" whenever he is selected for the national side.

"Veltman is often looked down upon by most Dutch football fans because of his mistakes and how he is often perceived to be better than he actually is," he said.

"Whenever he is selected for the Dutch national team, there is a collective sigh that Oranje could be in for a poor result.

"Ajax fans are divided upon their old club captain; they loved how committed he was to the Dutch giants, and he did have some good performances, but he also was at fault for several goals conceded, and he was often not good enough in the big European games.

"Therefore, you can imagine that some Ajax fans were happy to offload Veltman, but there has been no improvement in how Dutch football fans view Veltman whenever he plays for the Netherlands."

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think Dutch fans would have something to say about that. When he joined us this was reported.

Dutch football experts Elko Born and Michael Statham say the 29-year-old has a reputation in Holland for making mistakes and picking up one too many yellow and red cards.

The former Spurs and Real Madrid midfielder lambasted Veltman for his defending for Spain’s goal in a 1-1 friendly draw in November.

"Everything goes wrong. I don't know what Veltman is doing there, he runs like a Boeing [plane]," said van der Vaart.

"He tends to get booked and sent off too often - usually as a result of some mistake he made. An attacker beats him and he might have no other option but to commit a foul. This has always been a part of his game.

According to fellow Dutch football expert Statham, there is a "collective sigh" whenever he is selected for the national side.

"Veltman is often looked down upon by most Dutch football fans because of his mistakes and how he is often perceived to be better than he actually is," he said.

"Whenever he is selected for the Dutch national team, there is a collective sigh that Oranje could be in for a poor result.

"Ajax fans are divided upon their old club captain; they loved how committed he was to the Dutch giants, and he did have some good performances, but he also was at fault for several goals conceded, and he was often not good enough in the big European games.

"Therefore, you can imagine that some Ajax fans were happy to offload Veltman, but there has been no improvement in how Dutch football fans view Veltman whenever he plays for the Netherlands."

I think the OP was referring to his time at Brighton which so far has been solid.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
I think the OP was referring to his time at Brighton which so far has been solid.

Agreed, but he was also contradicting my assertion that Lamptey would be picked ahead of him if both were fit.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Would Tariq get his place back if he was fit for Wednesday...tricky

Maybe not for Wednesday... but as soon as fully fit Lamptey comes back in straight away as far as I am concerned, much Like Lallana. when fit they have to play.

The great thing is we now know Veltman and Alexis are brilliant options if either of these players are not quite right.

We don't have to rush people back is the great thing.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I am not convinced that Lamptey starts every time over Veltman. Particularly his record in 'finishing' games isn't great, and defensively he has been suspect at times - but you expect this from a young player in a debut season.

I think @Guiness Boy is on the right money where we may well see Veltman in the tougher games and Lamptey when we expect to be more attacking minded

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This.

As much as Lamptey is an absolute terror going forward he can leave big holes at the back when he pushes on and isn't as tactically clued in as Veltman. JV has, along with Sanchez, been a large contributor to the clean sheets.

Absolutely. I'd be quite worried if we had Lamptey in a back 4, with Veltman I'd have no worries at all. He's been fantastic in the last few games. How we got a defender of his class for basically peanuts is remarkable.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
As far as I'm concerned Burn has only had 1 shocker for us against Wolves, and the winger that on his day does that to any full back he likes.

Burn is more than good enough in my opinion.

Veltman back on topic has been excellent of late.

Correct. Burn gets a raw deal here.

He’s a very capable defender at this level. Did some good work for us last night when he came on, especially his corner play.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
He needs to stop trying to cross. I don't think any of his crosses beat the first man or indeed go to any man. Other than that very good.

I dont think he should stop trying to cross because as a wing back (albeit not a natural one) it is part of the job description. His crossing is woeful however and someone needs to coach him to improve it..

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville

I suppose we'll just have to prepare for disappointment in one of those big European games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here