Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

[Food] Veganuary - Vegan - Vegetarian

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
I went veggie in 1983 shortly after the cup final when my head was a bit funny so it's probably Whiteside's fault!

As has been mentioned, the choices of veggie and vegan meals available in supermarkets now is superb; back then, you were lucky to find a pre-cooked cauliflower cheese! The Plant Chef range is particularly good.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Just started reading this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carnivore-...re+code&qid=1609576140&sr=8-1&tag=googhydr-21

Think I'm going to go the other way.

I'm convinced that processed food, more than anything else, is the enemy in our diets. Not meat. A vegan diet can be quite healthy because it should mean you eat a lot less processed food. But I don't believe we aren't supposed to eat animals- how many animals aren't edible? Compared to how many plants? A high percentage of plants are toxic to humans. Don't think there are many animals that are.

It astonishes me when vegans drink things like soy milk and almond milk and claim they are a) healthy and b) are good for the planet. Mass dairy farming is clearly a pretty horrendous practice, so if you don't want to drink milk then don't drink it. Extracting the inside of soya beans with chemicals and adding synthetic vitamins to it instead- does that really sound like something humans are supposed to eat?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Just started reading this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carnivore-...re+code&qid=1609576140&sr=8-1&tag=googhydr-21

Think I'm going to go the other way.

I'm convinced that processed food, more than anything else, is the enemy in our diets. Not meat. A vegan diet can be quite healthy because it should mean you eat a lot less processed food. But I don't believe we aren't supposed to eat animals- how many animals aren't edible? Compared to how many plants? A high percentage of plants are toxic to humans. Don't think there are many animals that are.

It astonishes me when vegans drink things like soy milk and almond milk and claim they are a) healthy and b) are good for the planet. Mass dairy farming is clearly a pretty horrendous practice, so if you don't want to drink milk then don't drink it. Extracting the inside of soya beans with chemicals and adding synthetic vitamins to it instead- does that really sound like something humans are supposed to eat?

Whilst there may be some element of truth to this, we have long surpassed how much meat we are ā€œsupposedā€ to consume and many scientific and medical studies would argue that the detrimental effect that meat has on your health would indicate we shouldnā€™t be consuming anything like what people do today. I definitely agree that regardless of being vegan or not, processed foods should definitely be avoided.

As for almond and soy milk, they are both still healthier and more environmentally friendly than their dairy counterpart, comparing the two is a false equivalency. Moreover, the only milk we are supposed to drink is that of our mothers so I really wouldnā€™t go down the ā€˜supposedā€™ to route :thumbsup:

As for our ancestral diet, most anthropologists will tell that our early ancestors were plant based so... :shrug:

Last edited:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Very much this. Not a vegetarian myself but by god meat eaters are tedious about the subject.

If I had a pound for every time Iā€™ve been asked where I get my protein from or the classic; ā€œbut bacon thoā€, Iā€™d be a rich man :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've been a veggie for approaching 30 years now and, as said above, it's never been easier to be veggie, vegan or just cut down on meat a bit. If anything, it's become slightly annoying eating out now as a veggie, as many places have rushed to meet the growing vegan movement and coupled vegans and veggies together. I have no issue with a vegan burger - something like Beyond, Impossible or Moving Mountains - but I want it in a proper bun and with proper cheese on it!

I'm certainly not a preaching veggie though - each to their own. Neither of my children are veggie, and on weekend mornings I'll make a proper bacon sarnie for my son's breakfast.

I had considered trying veganuary this year but I forgot about it before I saw this thread, which I opened as I was eating a homemade pizza last night that was smothered in proper cheese. Maybe next year...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If I had a pound for every time Iā€™ve been asked where I get my protein from or the classic; ā€œbut bacon thoā€, Iā€™d be a rich man :)

I do get it though. Even though being a veggie doesn't define me and many people I know wouldn't know I am - and why would they - in the running community on Instagram, I see a LOT of "Powered by plants" type bios. I just don't understand the need to mention it.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Dairy is definitely the hardest part of choosing veganism, for me anyway, whereas binning off meat is the easy bit as there are enough decent alternatives, but milk chocolate, omelettes etc.

Oatly is one of the better milk substitutes imho.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I do get it though. Even though being a veggie doesn't define me and many people I know wouldn't know I am - and why would they - in the running community on Instagram, I see a LOT of "Powered by plants" type bios. I just don't understand the need to mention it.

ā€œPowered by plantsā€ is the new ā€œIā€™m a veganā€ :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here