Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Vegan raw food influencer dies of starvation aged 39

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Clickbaity headline.

Sounds to me like somebody suffering from considerable mental health difficulties linked to a severe eating disorder.

I'm not a vegan, but eating a plant based diet (even a raw food one) isn't going to kill you so long as you're getting the right nutrients from wherever. That headline sounds like the sort of thing you'd expect from the Daily Mail.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Rather a poor taste thread. No one dies because they’re vegan. Likely mentally ill and/or suffering from something like anorexia. DM Clickbait as someone else said.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Clickbaity headline.

Sounds to me like somebody suffering from considerable mental health difficulties linked to a severe eating disorder.

I'm not a vegan, but eating a plant based diet (even a raw food one) isn't going to kill you so long as you're getting the right nutrients from wherever. That headline sounds like the sort of thing you'd expect from the Daily Mail.
Doesn’t sound like someone with an eating disorder should be a food influencer.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well no, but then it's very common for people with eating disorders to be suffering from chronically low self esteem and body dysmorphia, therefore maybe she felt like having social media presence gave her validation from others, no? Perhaps she started out doing quite well and eating healthily but other life issues have taken over and sent her spiralling downwards.

Also, she probably didn't publicise the fact that she was starving herself on her social media accounts. Eating disorders are often characterised by secretive behaviour: hiding food so others don't know you haven't eaten it, or eating but surreptitiously making yourself vomit afterwards etc. Few sufferers do it publicly.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sadly/luckily her influence appears to have been minimal:

'When she died, Samsonova had around 16,000 followers. At the time of writing, however, that number had increased to 33,000.'

Just a poor lost soul with mental health issues and an eating disorder ☹️

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Well no, but then it's very common for people with eating disorders to be suffering from chronically low self esteem and body dysmorphia, therefore maybe she felt like having social media presence gave her validation from others, no? Perhaps she started out doing quite well and eating healthily but other life issues have taken over and sent her spiralling downwards.

Also, she probably didn't publicise the fact that she was starving herself on her social media accounts. Eating disorders are often characterised by secretive behaviour: hiding food so others don't know you haven't eaten it, or eating but surreptitiously making yourself vomit afterwards etc. Few sufferers do it publicly.
I think the point the OP is making is about influencers…and their well, disproportional influence. It’s a valid point on any subject and on her particular one she was hardly likely to be a force for good, was she ? Schools spend a lot of time having to pick over the consequences of this sort of thing and this one will likely be a bit of a case study.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Nothing healthy about a raw food diet. Physically you’re missing key nutrients. Mentally you’re missing enjoying food.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think the point the OP is making is about influencers…and their well, disproportional influence. It’s a valid point on any subject and on her particular one she was hardly likely to be a force for good, was she ? Schools spend a lot of time having to pick over the consequences of this sort of thing and this one will likely be a bit of a case study.

This is the world we live in now. Any idiot with access to the internet can label themselves an "influencer" and try to monetise their skills/unpleasant political beliefs sparkling personality/ enormous breasts.

Look at that whopper Andrew Tate. Must be almost impossible for schools (and parents) to police what content their kids are exposed to now.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nothing healthy about a raw food diet. Physically you’re missing key nutrients. Mentally you’re missing enjoying food.
Well it's not my bag, but I daresay it may appeal to some- I've met people who swear by the Paleo diet in the past, and who were proper gym bunnies.

Like anything, you need to understand what you're eating, and if there are areas where a particular diet leaves you deficient, then you look to obtain whatever it is via supplements or other means. In this particular case, it sounds like it wasn't a case of her eating only raw food: rather that she ended up not eating anything at all.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
do any of these 'influencers' know much about their subject matter thought their main attribute is fleecing the gullible.
All influencers are simply monetising their strong personalities/good looks. Any talents/hobbies they have are secondary to their likability. Most are seeking fame and money, and are using their natural charisma and/or sex appeal rather than any particular talent to try and achieve this. Indeed, there are legion of aspiring and existing “internet celebrities” who simply chase trends, regardless of personal interest in the subject matter.

The general aim is to foster a parasocial relationship with their fans/customers. They develop a persona which is appealing to their audience; the top influencers do brilliantly in accommodating as many people as possible. Girls want to be them, guys want to be with them - or vice-versa.

Influencers are comforting for some people, particularly those with sub-normal social lives, or those having difficulty forming relationships. This is why the majority of subscribers to the top influencers consist mostly of school age children. They provide a constant, cosy and reassuring presence in their lives which often substitutes for real life relationships.

Naturally, this provides enormous merchandising and branding opportunities for both the influencer and brands. You’ve got one foot in the door - people love the influencer, the influencer raves about a product - the customer buys the product (or gets their parents to buy it) as it is their duty to “support” their favourite influencer and “friend”.

This is huge bucks for all concerned and really that’s all it comes down to.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well it's not my bag, but I daresay it may appeal to some- I've met people who swear by the Paleo diet in the past, and who were proper gym bunnies.

Like anything, you need to understand what you're eating, and if there are areas where a particular diet leaves you deficient, then you look to obtain whatever it is via supplements or other means. In this particular case, it sounds like it wasn't a case of her eating only raw food: rather that she ended up not eating anything at all.
'She also claimed that her body did not “require” water, writing last year that her fruit-based diet meant she had gone without water for the past six years.'

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
do any of these 'influencers' know much about their subject matter thought their main attribute is fleecing the gullible.
my observation is they usually know a lot about the subject, its just what they know isnt worth knowing.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
This is the world we live in now. Any idiot with access to the internet can label themselves an "influencer" and try to monetise their skills/unpleasant political beliefs sparkling personality/ enormous breasts.

Look at that whopper Andrew Tate. Must be almost impossible for schools (and parents) to police what content their kids are exposed to now.
Doesn’t stop us trying to address the issues. Misogyny/Andrew Tate featured pretty highly in PHSE last year and some interesting discussions were had. I don’t think we can just give up in the face of the power of the internet and we won’t.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here