Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

vault of glorious acoustic cover versions

This will cause a state of apoplexy for some on this board, and as songs to cover acoustically this must rank as one of the most unlikely. Ladies and Gentlemen, from the real life Mrs. Derek Smalls, I give you

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
That sounds brilliant.

I've been struggling to think of anyone effectively taking a delicate little acoustic ditty and blowing it all out of proportion. Surely Flaming Lips must have done this?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Can I add a dissenting voice and suggest that this genre has been done to death I adore Nouvelle Vague's "In a Manner of Speaking" but that heralded a tidal wave of acoustic covers that became the default backing track for whenever a TV advert needed something poignant-sounding.

Edit - I see that I'm not alone in this thought. And the very worst cover version that EERYONE seems to cream their knickers about - that Eva Cassidy version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow. Schmaltzy awful version of a pretty average tune elevated to "spine-tingling" because the singer died shortly afterwards. I can think of no other reason for why this gets so much attention.

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Can I add a dissenting voice and suggest that this genre has been done to death I adore Nouvelle Vague's "In a Manner of Speaking" but that heralded a tidal wave of acoustic covers that became the default backing track for whenever a TV advert needed something poignant-sounding.

Edit - I see that I'm not alone in this thought. And the very worst cover version that EERYONE seems to cream their knickers about - that Eva Cassidy version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow. Schmaltzy awful version of a pretty average tune elevated to "spine-tingling" because the singer died shortly afterwards. I can think of no other reason for why this gets so much attention.

Spot on with Eva Cassidy - music for people who don't really like music. I think that the advertisers actions have created an understandable backlash against something that can have worth when done well. The Frente version of Bizarre Love Triangle which I posted in the previous covers thread shows something in the song that I hadn't noticed in New Order's version. However, when Ellie Goulding covered 'Your Song' it was just a terrible song, made slightly more bareable by Elton John not singing on it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here