Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Varifocal glasses

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Been wearing them for a number of years now, I'd never go back, as for getting used to them, won't take more than a couple of days. I concur with the previous poster though, the better (more expensive) lenses you go for, the better. I would say though, they are absolutely no good for clay pigeon shooting in, at all, and I also found them disconcerting when playing golf. So if you partake in any hand/eye/motion intensive activities, it might be a good idea to get a pair of single vision specs too. *snigger*

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
This excites me!
Are varifocal contact lenses as expensive as glasses? I've been thinking about whether they might be an option.
I've personally had no issues adapting to varifocals, but it means that sunglasses are an issue.

They are very expensive compared to normal lenses. £40 a month. They work very differently to glasses in that you don't have to train your eye to look in a certain direction. The optician did explain it to me and from what I can remember each contact lens is made up of a 'honeycomb' consisting of alternate long and short sighted sections. Not had any problem with them and can now read very small print with no difficulty.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I wear them all the time and have done for several years. They are so much better than having to have several pairs or keep taking them ok and off. You just have to give your brain time to adjust to the different optical signals it's getting.

There's a famous experiment which involves getting people to wear glasses which show everything upside down (like an old pinhole camera). For the first few days it's a nightmare and they can't function, then the brain works out what's going on and compensates for the optical signal and they start seeing things the right way up. It's the same with varifocals. I'm no longer aware of seeing different distances through different parts of the lens; everything I look at just seems normal and sharp. So worth persisting I would say.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This excites me!
Are varifocal contact lenses as expensive as glasses? I've been thinking about whether they might be an option.
I've personally had no issues adapting to varifocals, but it means that sunglasses are an issue.

I go to Specsavers where you buy one, get one free, so my sunglasses are also varifocals.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Didn't need glasses of any kind until about four years ago. Then reading glasses only. But I've now just picked up my first pair of varifocal glasses.

What's your experience of them? How long does it take to get used to them?

I've given up on them twice - and stuck with the bifocals! But them I'm at an age when I'm expected to look a bit weird!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here