Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR - will football ever be the same again?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I never really liked VAR but didnt realise how big the problem was until some days ago. Coaching a youth team, one of our players got brought down in the corner of the penalty area and he didnt get up immediatly to close down the defender who got it. "Alex you need to get back on your feet immediatly, we dont sob when we lose the ball".

He said:
"Why? In real football it would have been VAR and penalty".

I was disgusted. Making top football have different rule sets etc compared to what all the kids are playing just creates a distance and a feeling that its two different sports. I find it very worrying.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sorry, I still disagree with you. I really don’t believe many of those people called for or want this Frankenstein’s monster that is VAR.

It's only a Frankenstein’s monster because it has been implemented SO badly. Why wasn't the method piloted over 3 or 4 years in 3 or 4 3rd or 4th tier leagues worldwide, with clear guidelines of when it should be called upon? It doesn't need to be the mess that it currently is.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It's only a Frankenstein’s monster because it has been implemented SO badly. Why wasn't the method piloted over 3 or 4 years in 3 or 4 3rd or 4th tier leagues worldwide, with clear guidelines of when it should be called upon? It doesn't need to be the mess that it currently is.

For VAR to be efficient you need 20+ cameras filming each game, these cameras need to be positioned from different angles all over the stadium. You also need a VAR room that costs money, people running the cameras, and paying these refs... additionally you need to provide new stadiums for the 4th tier teams that dont have the facilities to support VAR.

As I said, I dont like VAR, but this would never have been a realistic solution.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That is easily got over do not add on the time that it takes to get a VAR answer.

So you'd be happy to sacrifice large chunks of the game while we all sit around watching the ref stand there with his finger in his ear ? Say we're losing 1-0, there's 5 minutes to go, and VAR is reviewing a possible penalty decision for the opposition. The clock is ticking down, our time is ebbing away...you'd actually be ok with that ? Bonkers. Quite apart from the fact that as others have mentioned, they're already not adding enough time on at the end of each half to accommodate VAR. We're already going to be losing gametime as it is.

I can't see how being on a 30 second timer would help either, it'll just lead to further added pressure on the officials as they rush to get the "right" decision while a countdown clock runs down (but we could have the ticking clock Countdown music playing for the crowd I suppose).

I've said before, the theory behind VAR is sound enough. But the way it is being implemented is a complete and utter clusterfvck, and is going to lead to FAR more controversy next season than we ever had before it was introduced.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Fans at grounds make up a tiny portion of the viewing audience for matches.

So if VAR ensures the correct decisions are made too bad for the fans at the ground.

Might help clean up the cheating side of the game.

Wow. So you're saying that we, as fans, should now be acknowledging that the armchair fans at home are actually more important than the paying punters inside the stadiums who have got off their arse and gone to the games. They're the priority ?

I know thats the Sky / Murdoch / corporate viewpoint, but its sad to see a football fan buying into that narrative. "Fans at the game don't matter, as long as the TV audience is happy".

Nice one.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Wow. So you're saying that we, as fans, should now be acknowledging that the armchair fans at home are actually more important than the paying punters inside the stadiums who have got off their arse and gone to the games. They're the priority ?

I know thats the Sky / Murdoch / corporate viewpoint, but its sad to see a football fan buying into that narrative. "Fans at the game don't matter, as long as the TV audience is happy".

Nice one.

Welcome to the 21st century. The only people who think the fans in the ground are even vaguely important are the fans in the ground. Otherwise we are an inconvenience and should be replaced by a 70s applause track immediately!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Anyone else here watching Sheff Ud v Spuds?

An incredibly harsh decision against Spurs just then, cancelling out their equaliser. All due to the law itself, not a VAR error.

Lucas Moura was hacked down running at goal with the ball, 20 yards out. As he fell, the ball hit his arm, eventually falling to Kane out wide, who jinked inside to beat Henderson.

But disallowed under the black and white rule that if the ball hits the arm of anyone in the attacking team in the build up to a goal, then it’s no goal.

Mourinho will be angry.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
All VAR is doing is just further highlighting how bad the officiating is at this level. Having the same people who were making the poor decisions run and review the system is about as sensible as having an alcoholic running a pub.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Its unclear to me who is in control of a game (other than SKY) is it the referee or is it VAR? I thought VAR was there to assist not control.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Its unclear to me who is in control of a game (other than SKY) is it the referee or is it VAR? I thought VAR was there to assist not control.
The ref is in control. If he misses something, like tonight, the VAR steps in to assist.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Man Utd’s second goal was a joke. The ball went out yet they didn’t go back that far - fine but where’s the consistency? I’ve seen them take it back further before! Also, Shaw looked clearly offside. I’m sure he was on as VAR must have looked and all we got was the comms saying Burns leg played him on BUT:

A) we didn’t see the VAR check
B) There was no delay - it must have been tight as anything - no delay at all?!
C) How could they draw all the lines etc to see that he was onside in that time - I can’t see they did as usually takes a while and usually we see it?!

Not saying we’d have got anything (although you never know) but the cynic in me suggests it was somewhat glossed over and not shown etc because it was Man U...?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The ref is in control. If he misses something, like tonight, the VAR steps in to assist.

Thats contradictory surely . . . . VAR has undermined officials, To th point they're scared of making decisions, and players have been told/learned to take advantage, which some do, like running on and scoring a goal after an offside/foul

It doesn't work well and is to the detriment of the game.

until somebody honest ( ie no vested interest and 1000 miles clear of the FA) Is in charge it won't get any better .

Hopefully it's scrapped and we stick to goal line tech and obvious reliable stuff.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s here to stay.

We need the VAR official to have full power to give the correct decision, not being restricted to protecting their mate, only able override a clear and obvious error. That’s how it works well in cricket and rugby union ... egos don’t come into it.

Today’s ‘handball‘ was a nonsense borne of a ridiculously rigid law of the game. The law needs adjusting.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
So glad I was a fan in the 80’s onwards proper football proper tackles.. Can’t really be arsed with it now. Still enjoy watching us play although we are in league which is controlled by spending. It’s shown game after game spend big on players and they will do the business. Mcburnie was such an obvious Murray replacement worked his socks of all game and probably worth the £20m.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That handball was deliberate, so it was a good decision.

200w.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here