Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR who decides?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The BBC and Argus articles seem to suggest (to me), but don't make 100% clear, otherwise.

It is getting complicated - I think I’ll just sit back and observe the inevitable shambles that will occur. Although I do think it will be a good thing in the long run, once the problems are ironed out.

See I think its the thin end of the wedge. In principal I like the idea that its only supposed to be used for 4 things (goals, red cards, penalties and cases of mistaken identity). So in theory its only being brought in to help with the BIG decisions, and not the multitude of little fouls and minor incidents that happen all the time. But the problem for me is that if a "minor" foul that isn't picked up on leads to a goal, then that by definition does become a big decision, a big call to make (as we saw in that Coppa Italia game).

I fear we're going to have a lot of goal celebrations "on hold" while the ref / VAR thrash out whether there was an infringement in the buildup. And that'll be proper rubbish.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
See I think its the thin end of the wedge. In principal I like the idea that its only supposed to be used for 4 things (goals, red cards, penalties and cases of mistaken identity). So in theory its only being brought in to help with the BIG decisions, and not the multitude of little fouls and minor incidents that happen all the time. But the problem for me is that if a "minor" foul that isn't picked up on leads to a goal, then that by definition does become a big decision, a big call to make (as we saw in that Coppa Italia game).

I fear we're going to have a lot of goal celebrations "on hold" while the ref / VAR thrash out whether there was an infringement in the buildup. And that'll be proper rubbish.

From the Sky article:

How long will a decision take?

It takes about 30-40 seconds on average for the VAR team to clip up and review a decision at the match centre.

However, when it is not something as simple as an offside or multiple camera angles need to be viewed then by the time a referee has made a decision then up to three minutes could have passed.

I understand what you're saying. Having goal celebrations on hold for several minutes while we wait for a decision to be made would be seriously shit. At the same time, so many incidents get missed, which seem unfair, which don't 'even themselves out over the course of a season', and certain teams seem to benefit more from dodgy decisions than others (usually the bigger teams).

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I like the NFL red flag system, the coach is allowed two challenges per game, but if both challenges are successful, they're allowed a third.

But in NFL if the challenge is not upheld, the challenging team loses a timeout. There has to be a downside to stop frivolous challenges or challenges being made to slow down the game. I'm not sure how you would penalise a frivilous challenge in football. Works in NFL but then the game is suited to it with 10 seconds of action followed by several minutes of inactivity.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But in NFL if the challenge is not upheld, the challenging team loses a timeout. There has to be a downside to stop frivolous challenges or challenges being made to slow down the game. I'm not sure how you would penalise a frivilous challenge in football. Works in NFL but then the game is suited to it with 10 seconds of action followed by several minutes of inactivity.

And you can guarantee that if a manager still has a challenge in hand and they concede a last minute goal, then he'll use it to try and get it chalked off for something. Anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here