Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR: Thicker lines

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
**** VAR. I dont care what they do with it, its still shit. And take goal-line tech with you.

For more than a hundred years the rules were the same regardless if you were some amateur playing in the 9th tier or a professional player. Thats one of the keys to why it was the sport of the people. With VAR and goal-line tech its no longer the case, this kind of technological augmentation increasingly turns into two different sports. We're only one or two years from AI:s deciding what is or isnt offside.

I think your overstating that a bit. My kid's team doesn't see their game as any different from the premier league (and I mean that literally - he asked me the other week how his U9s team would get on against Brighton and thought they could hold their own). And goal line tech is great, apart from one howler ever it has given quick and correct decisions with no controversy that I'm aware of.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Wont make any difference they will still relate it to the line edge closest to the player so it will be the edge that is key therefore doesn't matter if the line is thicker. Next debate will be is the line offside or not just give me the game of football back.

If the thicker lines overlap (which they would when it is a very tight call) it would not be called offside, i.e. the benefit of the doubt is given to the attacker.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Perhaps the Amex grounds person's could paint white give way lines on the goal lines to give our strikers a chance???

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
**** VAR. I dont care what they do with it, its still shit. And take goal-line tech with you.

For more than a hundred years the rules were the same regardless if you were some amateur playing in the 9th tier or a professional player. Thats one of the keys to why it was the sport of the people. With VAR and goal-line tech its no longer the case, this kind of technological augmentation increasingly turns into two different sports. We're only one or two years from AI:s deciding what is or isnt offside.

I've never known anyone dislike goal line tech :lolol:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Get rid of lines. VAR ref gets two looks at it, one at normal speed, one at half speed. If he can't say it's deffo offside then it isn't.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
am i missing something or isnt it obvious the rule just needs to be the lead foot , rather than any part of the body

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
am i missing something or isnt it obvious the rule just needs to be the lead foot , rather than any part of the body

Yes with the margin of error being -/+ an inch with big thick lines.

Also - ref’s should EXPECT to review at least 1 decision per half on their TV monitor. They just don’t bother for whatever reason. VAR swung the other way in the later part of the season and let players get away with most things. The handball committed by Garcia (I think) against Groß in the Citeh match was shocking, it was 100% a penalty as he knocked the ball away with his hand.

Goldstone64

Aug 12, 2020
It's all well and good playing around with the lines drawn at the receiving players end but a question I've never seen answered is how can they tell exactly when the ball is kicked with enough accuracy to enable them to legitimately judge whether the receiving player is offside by his toenail?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Offside with VAR should just be a line drawn on the pitch (via TV tech) and should ONLY (in my view) judge offside by the position of a players foot.

All this crap about an arm being offside is just stupid and hard to get right even with technology. Just make it offside at the forwards most position of a players foot. Far easier to judge.

I think that would require a law change, so would be much slower to implement... but I agree with you, and it will quite likely be the next change they make.

This.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It's all well and good playing around with the lines drawn at the receiving players end but a question I've never seen answered is how can they tell exactly when the ball is kicked with enough accuracy to enable them to legitimately judge whether the receiving player is offside by his toenail?

Another good reason to build a margin of error into the system.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If the thicker lines overlap (which they would in your case) it would not be called offside, i.e. the benefit of the doubt is given to the attacker.

But the lines have previously overlapped and offsides given because the line representing the attacker is closer to the goal.

EDIT: In fact, the Premier League's own website explaining how the offside decision works says:

"The thickness of the line has no impact on the accuracy of the decision. It is the edge further from the goal for each line that identifies where the one-pixel line was positioned by the VAR."

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1488423

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Should of made them Fatter lines , John Moss has been appointed as chief resident VAR armchair decision maker .

I suppose that clears the way for a hopefully better EPL referee, but if this is the only revision to VAR next season then the shambles that is the interpretation of VAR won't really change for the better .

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
But the lines have previously overlapped and offsides given because the line representing the attacker is closer to the goal.

EDIT: In fact, the Premier League's own website explaining how the offside decision works says:

"The thickness of the line has no impact on the accuracy of the decision. It is the edge further from the goal for each line that identifies where the one-pixel line was positioned by the VAR."

Yes , I've 3 articles about this and I'm still not sure what difference a thicker line is going to make

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

quite. its same as the pitch lines, the edge of the line is the rule, not the line itself.

i can only assume the thicker line implies an overlap will be taken into account. im not sure positively or negatively. since its still unclear, this use of VAR is flawed and they should get rid of the line.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I’m still of the opinion the rule should be - if there is any part of the attacker level with the second to last opposition player then it’s onside. VAR would then only come in to play to check if the attacker had exceeded this. It should provide more goals but stop any goal hanging, and should reduce both the number of VAR referrals and reduce the number of contentious VAR decisions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here