Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR - referee checks monitor for offside decision?!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
What?

I posted a passive aggressive and patronising post in my thread previously about offsides either being on or off., based on the VAR’s use of technology. I implied people are dense for not understanding this.

Then I am completely undermined by, for the first time in Premier League history, a referee going to view an offside decision on the monitor.

What he was checking was whether or not Mwepu was interfering with play - which he was - there was absolutely no justification for a four minute delay for Mr. Harrington to go and check that. VAR could’ve said within a minute “yes, he was” or “no, he wasn’t”. You know, by applying the laws of the game.

The whole thing completely undermined the point in VAR and the rules previously established about its usage.

Absolutely terrible. At this stage, I’d argue for scrapping it.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
not going to discuss the correctness of the decision but he checked the monitor because it was a subjective offside. mwepu didn't touch the ball so it was up to the ref to evaluate whether he impacted play or not

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
not going to discuss the correctness of the decision but he checked the monitor because it was a subjective offside. mwepu didn't touch the ball so it was up to the ref to evaluate whether he impacted play or not

No such thing in the laws of the game when it comes to the application of VAR.

Jul 7, 2003
What?

I posted a passive aggressive and patronising post in my thread previously about offsides either being on or off., based on the VAR’s use of technology. I implied people are dense for not understanding this.

Then I am completely undermined by, for the first time in Premier League history, a referee going to view an offside decision on the monitor.

What he was checking was whether or not Mwepu was interfering with play - which he was - there was absolutely no justification for a four minute delay for Mr. Harrington to go and check that. VAR could’ve said within a minute “yes, he was” or “no, he wasn’t”. You know, by applying the laws of the game.

The whole thing completely undermined the point in VAR and the rules previously established about its usage.

Guessing you were at the game. I had to watch from home as I’ve got covid. Most of that time taken was because they couldn’t get the lines to work.

One of the many bad things about VAR is that the fans in the ground are the ones who know least about what is happening. All of this should be put on the screens and the audio played so fans can hear the decision making process.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
What?

I argued for scrapping it from day one. If something aint broke why try and fix it? Yes ok, so on field referees, linesman et al made mistakes when the decisions were left to them, but hey ho so are the officials in the VOR at Stockley Park.

This has been a truly terrible weekend of football when it came to VAR based decisions. From the supporters perspective it also breaks up the continuity of play, and makes it nigh on impossible to properly celebrate a goal being scored, aving to wait for a possible VAR check before jumping out of our seats and cheering.

I don't for a minute think that the Premier League will scrap the use of VAR, but a way must be found, with a matter of urgency, of correcting these poor decisions, and streamlining the whole operation.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
yes there is. the monitor was not used to evaluate whether he
was offside or not, the var official had already decided he was, it was used to evaluate whether he impacted play. simple as.

Simple you say? if only it was! All that VAR seems to have done is muddy the waters even further.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
the protocol is simple, hence why every other league manages to execute it better, unfortunately we have severe lack of a) refereeing talent and b) coaching and leadership from the PGMOL

... is the correct answer. Since it's implementation the issue has never been the VAR system but the complete gibbons using it

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
VAR is an abomination.

The Alexis strike the clearest example of how it sucks the soul out of football i've seen for a while. Ruins the match going experience and i'd say the same had it been against us

I'd love to see it abolished in it's entirety

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Obviously matches should be played as if there is no VAR, so spectators can cheer the game as it goes, then VAR can be applied retrospectively and the scores adjusted appropriately. Gives VAR plenty of time to make decisions and make sure the right outcome is achieved.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Obviously matches should be played as if there is no VAR, so spectators can cheer the game as it goes, then VAR can be applied retrospectively and the scores adjusted appropriately. Gives VAR plenty of time to make decisions and make sure the right outcome is achieved.

And you could even use it to give penalties even after the ref has blown for full time!😂😂😂

Oh, hang on.....

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
It needs to be scrapped totally. I'm tired of it's defenders and all the suggestions that it's the application that's incorrect or that ex pros need to get involved. We've come up with an abomination of cure for which there was never any real disease! Before VAR was there a swathe of hopelessly incorrect decisions that blighted our weekend's football? We just took the rough with the smooth and often things balanced up over time. The single most glorious thing about watching football is celebrating when your team scores. However, that is almost crippled now as we invariably wait for VAR to find an issue.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I’m a little worried that the outcome of the game might be a little different than if the decision had been made with the 100 % accuracy of all VAR decisions. Couldn’t we could play as if there is no VAR then as soon as there is a contentious decision just pack up and come back the next morning ?

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Unsurprisingly the shit decisions on VAR coincide with Mike Dean heading the team. Having already apologised for getting the Cucerella hair pulling wrong and the contreversial decisions this weekend, it's become a farce !
Furthermore, did the 7 minutes added time today include VAR pontificating over whether Mac's goal should have stood , given that the onfield ref and Leicester players had no complaints ?
Surely it shouldn't be tagged on as added time, the delay is down to them ?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Absolute travesty that such a thing of utter beauty should be scrubbed out.

(Still a close second to jiri Skalak's volley, though!)

The Skalak volley was insane. However, when I wondered about that yesterday, I rated the Mac Allister one higher as the level he's playing at is higher.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I’m a little worried that the outcome of the game might be a little different than if the decision had been made with the 100 % accuracy of all VAR decisions. Couldn’t we could play as if there is no VAR then as soon as there is a contentious decision just pack up and come back the next morning ?

You are right as teams adjust tactically according to the situation they find themselves in. Retrospective var cannot be a thing. Except perhaps in the case of man u being awarded and scoring a penalty after the final whistle had gone against us.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Once it’s not clear and obvious it’s a goal, VAR is not not there to secondary referee. Arsenals goal should of stood the ref missed it in real time or with the new let the game flow rules he deemed it to soft.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here