Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR not the issue

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Only 1 major improvement is needed.
1. Dump it.

I disagree, there is value in it to overturn the howler. I see this debate panning out the exact same way it did with DRS in cricket, but that sorted itself out when they made some obvious tweaks and it now works fine.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I disagree, there is value in it to overturn the howler.

That was how it was "sold" to fans - the Thierry Henri handball that knocked Ireland out the world cop would have been spotted etc, the hand of god etc etc

However, most people could see that once it was in, there would be increasing use of VAR and it is that scope creep which is ruining the game. It has fundamentally changed the nature of live football, and not for the better.

A significant number of fans will ultimately decide they might as well watch on MOTD, and will give up on the live PL (on TV or in person, when allowed). We're already seeing that on this Board.

Not sure if Barber and the other PL CEO's realise what FIFA has done to them. They may think the TV money will keep rolling in whatever happens. I can only talk for myself, but I'm not sure I can watch this VAR/BCD nonsense football for much longer.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I disagree, there is value in it to overturn the howler. I see this debate panning out the exact same way it did with DRS in cricket, but that sorted itself out when they made some obvious tweaks and it now works fine.

Even if it worked on that basis (and it doesn't seem to with any reliability) I would still disagree.

Football is just a game. It's only value is in the joy it brings people. Anything that diminishes that joy diminishes it's value.

Get rid.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Even if it worked on that basis (and it doesn't seem to with any reliability) I would still disagree.

Football is just a game. It's only value is in the joy it brings people. Anything that diminishes that joy diminishes it's value.

Get rid.

Not true.

Its value is measured in many millions of pounds to club execs and administrators amongst many others. That explains the huge disconnect between fans and those who run the game

It's only to the likes of you and I that value it in joy.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
That was how it was "sold" to fans - the Thierry Henri handball that knocked Ireland out the world cop would have been spotted etc, the hand of god etc etc

However, most people could see that once it was in, there would be increasing use of VAR and it is that scope creep which is ruining the game. It has fundamentally changed the nature of live football, and not for the better.

A significant number of fans will ultimately decide they might as well watch on MOTD, and will give up on the live PL (on TV or in person, when allowed). We're already seeing that on this Board.

Not sure if Barber and the other PL CEO's realise what FIFA has done to them. They may think the TV money will keep rolling in whatever happens. I can only talk for myself, but I'm not sure I can watch this VAR/BCD nonsense football for much longer.

Every time I watch a non VAR game, I get so much more from the experience.

When fans got together and mobilised over PPV it looks like we'll get somewhere.

Time for fans to do the same over VAR

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
VAR is a complete BUSTED FLUSH.

It just does not work because human beings are re-refereeing incidents that are open to interpretation. How many assistants does it take for a correct decision to be reached. Clear and Obvious Error is just not working as a baseline for the current technology and rules.

Unless technology can provide a definitive digital yes/no to complement analogue rules e.g. Goal Line Technology or a thicker offside line that gives the benefit to the attacking team - then just Ditch the ****ing thing for everything else before it completely kills football.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
What gets me is that refereeing decisions, including VAR are made and that's it. They don't even have to make an attempt to justify decisions after the game to managers or fans. Surely some sort of dialogue might start to improve decisions made, but as of now the refs just tell everybody that they are the Lords of the Manor so **** off

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Not true.

Its value is measured in many millions of pounds to club execs and administrators amongst many others. That explains the huge disconnect between fans and those who run the game

It's only to the likes of you and I that value it in joy.

Price, cost, income. Is not the same as value.

Increasingly what something costs, or what someone gets paid, or how much money you can make from something, is completely divorced from actual value.

In my opinion like.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
They could make it better by just not allowing slow motion replays.

If you cant spot it at normal speed, its not clear and obvious.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The officials using it is. All of the decisions tonight should have gone the opposite way were somebody halfway capable have looked at them. The officiating in this country is a joke and the FA needs to pull their finger out.

Agree. End of thread.

But you won't convince the 'drink driving laws are arbitrary' and 'why do I need to wear a seatbelt, I'm a careful driver?' contingent.

I hope you've hoiked up your asbestos underpants :lolol: :thumbsup:

Edit: having read some of the posts I can only assume that many posters like a weekend rush of a few pints and a hair-raising drive home at speed :eek::wrong::shootself

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
If the ref is going to be a total bottle job and use VAR for every decision, then he should at least give it the right way round. Yesterday was the complete inverse of what should have happened, I hate VAR

Mourinho sunmed it up quite nicely when pressed, "I just want my old football back with goal line technology". Me too

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
It's the interpretation by the little Hitlers who infest refereeing at the highest levels in this country that is the real problem with VAR. Measuring offsides for 10 mins with a micrometer before giving offside by the width of an armpit hair or awarding or not awarding a penalty based upon how many followers the teams in question have on social media are bringing the game into disrepute. FIFA need to step in and provide clear instruction on what should be adjudicated on and what shouldn't. The less subjective the criteria the better. Let the Ref's referee the game even if they get it wrong from time to time.

Clear and obvious error should mean just that.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
VAR has been a disaster it's changed the game beyond recognition it's not helped by the fact I am really loosing interest in football this season which feels like a never ending preseason, if I feel like that to me what do the players feel like must be awful for them constant isolation repeated testing being move around but only within their bubble driven in to then play a game in front of no crowd huge empty stadiums must be soul destroying then back into isolation until the next game

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I guess it is not the machines but the decision that get us so riled up , the decisions made by men. Did someone change the rules so that an incident right near the penalty line , is a penalty?
The inconsistency is apalling . We can't even claim 'big club bias' if you remember
Pickford and VanDyke..
VAR was supposed to stop arguments . It has made them far worse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here