Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR improvement plans

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Howard Webb drops hints on VAR improvements.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Apparently refs will be miked up so the fans will know why and how decisions have been made. Imagine the utter frustration for fans of hearing in real time why the ref/VAR are making the wrong decisions and having to boil in futile exasperation as they make the opposite judgement to what every fan and pundit has seen with their own eyes whilst being able to do nothing about it.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Howard Webb can suck my fat one.
Nothing will change.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Apparently refs will be miked up so the fans will know why and how decisions have been made. Imagine the utter frustration for fans of hearing in real time why the ref/VAR are making the wrong decisions and having to boil in futile exasperation as they make the opposite judgement to what every fan and pundit has seen with their own eyes whilst being able to do nothing about it.
Shame it wasn't already in play when that lino elbowed that whinging Robertson

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I like Webb, however when he apologised for one decision at Spurs that is a joke. We had three stonewall penalties and a not and clear obvious handball goal disallowed. Until they release a full report on the games it will not hold credence.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Howard Webb drops hints on VAR improvements.

They still haven't got it. We only want howlers corrected - all that guff about a millimetre off-side? - not interested ! If it's a millimetre either way, it's not a howler whichever way it's given. Off the ball events missed because the ref hasn't got eyes in the back of his head - yes! Things the ref hasn't seen - yes! Diabollical mistakes that everybody in the stands and everybody watching on TV can see - yes! Other trivialities - keep your nose out of it, VAR!

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
They still haven't got it. We only want howlers corrected - all that guff about a millimetre off-side? - not interested ! If it's a millimetre either way, it's not a howler whichever way it's given. Off the ball events missed because the ref hasn't got eyes in the back of his head - yes! Things the ref hasn't seen - yes! Diabollical mistakes that everybody in the stands and everybody watching on TV can see - yes! Other trivialities - keep your nose out of it, VAR!
To be fair, isn't that what Webb basically said on that video?

Clearly got some way to go still. This might be unpopular on here given recent events, but I think he's trying to move VAR and refereeing in the right direction. I like the idea of refs being miked up.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Clearly got some way to go still. This might be unpopular on here given recent events, but I think he's trying to move VAR and refereeing in the right direction. I like the idea of refs being miked up.
It won't stop them looking for a fingernail off-side to disallow a goal though, will it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

All they need to do is watch the full Spurs game, with the comms between ref and VAR, then discuss wtf is wrong with it all. In one game the whole issue with VAR is apparent.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If they want to affect real change then they should make the refs accountable for the key decisions. Pay them properly, but make them do press conferences and answer for the calls they make. Then SACK OR RELEGATE THE SHIT REFS.

The spurs f*** ups still boil my piss so much that it is easy to overlook the two points at Palace they cost us with their incompetence.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Stuart Atwell being given the other semi-final, 2 weeks after the shambles at White Hart Lane, tells me everything I need to know, about how PGMOL is being run.
It's a mates club. They look after their own.

I don't hold out any hope of improvements.
Was Atwell that much to blame ? VAR let him down more then he did himself IMO.

Plus Webb has already got rid of some serial mistake makers so not sure that is ‘looking after their own’

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Plus Webb has already got rid of some serial mistake makers so not sure that is ‘looking after their own’
Atwell was staring directly at the Mitoma penalty and waved it away, as he did on several other occasions.
He set a very high bar for giving decisions for us, but a lower one for Spurs.
It was the worst performance by a referee I have ever seen.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Webb knows he can't get rid of too many at once.
He didn't need to get rid of Atwell necessarily, but to reward him with an FA cup semi-final?
Do you really think that is an appropriate decision, in the circumstances?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Atwell was staring directly at the Mitoma penalty and waved it away, as he did on several other occasions.
He set a very high bar for giving decisions for us, but a lower one for Spurs.
It was the worst performance by a referee I have ever seen.
It was also the worst VAR performance I have ever seen, even worse than the ‘wrong line’ incident a Selhurst. If VAR had worked properly, we’d at least have got a draw as a competent operator would not have the found clear and obvious evidence to rule out Welbeck’s deflected goal. Even if Atwell was not interested in giving us a penalty that day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here