Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] VAR decision on Estupiñán goal

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
I'd like to see VAR scrapped but have a TV monitor by the side of the pitch for the referee to use if he's not sure about something. No line drawing needed. That way there should be no complete howlers which is what VAR was originally intended for.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I stopped celebrating on the first day they used it v West Ham at home.
Remember it, they were just about to kick off and we had all finished celebrating
And the the ref put that dreaded finger in his ear
It honestly was the main reason I’ve stopped going to a live game

First time VAR was actually used in English football ... I remember the check on Murray's winner!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Having seen it again When Ali Mac got a yellow I have seen red cards given for less. Have we got VAR to thank or cant they upgrade a yellow
They did have a look and deemed it a yellow card, I believe.

Precedent was set for thos sorts of tackles though when they failed to send off Fabinho for his similar tackle against Ferguson.

So I guess the consistency there helped us :shrug:

I'm at a loss to describe how I feel about it all. I think Danny Murphy said it best on MOTD - instead of discussing good tactics or excellent play we're sat here talking about poxy VAR. It's relentlessly annoying.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
What irritates me is the smug ex refs saying offside is either on or off so no room for debate. Clearly that’s been disproven now as nonsense. Absolutely disgraceful.

We lost points v Aston Villa for the penalty not given for the foul on Alexis Mac, we probably lost points for the foul on Welbeck not being given v Leicester and now this.

That’s potentially five points we have lost and I can’t think of a single one gained. We would be nearly in champions league spots.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
farcical , and with todays revelations by Mark Halsey it really makes you wonder , Jarrod Gillett left Australia under a cloud after refereeing an ASL cup final between perth and brisbane whilst being engaged to the brisbane chairmans daughter .......his performance in the match was , to say the least , questionable. he is now frequently used as a var helmet , official or whatever we are supposed to call them .....nimrods...??

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
If human error is a factor here why haven’t they got a team of officials so the decision is double checked? Imagine that happening last day of the season when a win takes you into Europe. Unreal.
Or worse gets you relegated.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
How is there not more cameras in grounds ?? This is a multi billion dollar industry and there seems to be about 3 cameras in the whole ground. These incidents always evade a proper camera angle.

Absolutely woeful.

Morvangull

Oct 19, 2010
Bognor Regis
I think they should stop drawing lines and just use their eyes. If on looking at the still picture it is not immediately clear that the player is offside then the goal should stand. It should make the decision much quicker and the only problem would be the VAR's officials eyesight. This also takes the workings of the game back to a more natural state.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
My opinion is VAR should only intervene for offside if the player is deemed over a certain measurement offside, 300mm for example. This stupid couple of mm shit is mad, bad for the game and clearly relies on the human clicking the exact part if the body and freezing exactly as the ball is kicked. With some of the stupidly tight calls that happen every week I can't see how the accuracy can be confirms.
Var is there to correct clear and obvious errors, having to measure millimetres indicates decision was not clearly wrong....

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
With the amount of VAR f*** ups we’ve seen over the last few weeks it almost seems like the Refs want to get rid of it too and that explains the errors. I mean it has to be that doesn’t it, surely no one can be that incompetent week in week out 🤣🤣🤣

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I stopped celebrating on the first day they used it v West Ham at home.
Remember it, they were just about to kick off and we had all finished celebrating
And the the ref put that dreaded finger in his ear
It honestly was the main reason I’ve stopped going to a live game
I also remember it well. That was my last season as a season ticket holder. I haven't been back since. I certainly will never be a season ticket holder again. Will go occasionally.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
remember Leeds getting a goal ruled out in VERY similar circumstances at selhurst a couple of seasons ago. do they have optimum viewing angles there? because the one they showed on the telly yesterday seemed a uniquely poor angle to try and make that decision

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
VAR has removed 75% of the joy of scoring or expecting to be given a penalty for me, the fact that it screws us over whenever possible might have something to do with it

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
This is genuinely unbelievable, I mean this is way beyond ‘typical Brighton’, this is either corruption or gross incompetence. Either way I believe we need more than some meaningless apology. Replay the match.
Replay won't happen...but yes

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Next time a decision like that gets referred to VAR, a loud continuous chorus of 30,000 boos during the wait would be good to hear.

Not that it will have any bearing in the VAR studio but will be a timely reminder to onfield officials that we've been let down by admitted errors more than once of late

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Robbed again v them. Still satisfied with a point though - just always think never lose v them?

ukpolska

Dec 30, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
Never done anything like this before, but I guess it's worth a go.
There should be an appeal process, as it could cost some teams millions of pounds in extra lost revenue for a 'clear and obvious' mistake. A process to appeal a VAR decision - Sign the Petition! https://chng.it/jZYZkJqFqg

Last edited:

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
I just simply do not understand how Premier League VAR officials can be this incompetent to consistently make such basic mistakes. What is the root cause? Corruption? Miscommunication?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here