Van Hecke or Webster?

• Vane Hecke

• Webster

• Both

Results are only viewable after voting.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well yes, but history suggests he'll pick up another knock, miss 6 weeks and we'll have to start the slow crawl up to top form once more.

Van Hecke has started well enough to be second in the CB pecking order. Igor and Webby fighting it out for 3rd.
Well no. And I know you're by no means the only one making this point. It's become a trope on NSC. What's happened with Webster this season:
-- played broadly well in pre-season, although his passing radar was off
-- Luton, wasn't really stretched, passing not great
-- Wolves, one or two stray passes first half but, overall, one of our best players. Several great defensive plays
-- West Ham, very poor game. There were certain issues surrounding it (being left on his own, Antonio left to exploit Web being left one-on-one), but both defending and passing broadly poor
Hasn't played since. This isn't about Web needing x games to get up to speed. He started well enough, and then had a shocker. He has had occasional shockers throughout his time with us. But, on the whole, he's been a fine defender for us, not that that's widely recognised on here. What is a question is the extent to which RDZ rates him, and we do have to wonder whether his passing is good enough for DeZerbiBall.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Another great performance by Van Hecke (y)

I don't think Webster will be in a Brighton shirt next season, it is time for him to move on.
I think you could be right about moving on.

I do still think Webster is technically good enough to be at least 4th choice CB, but the mistakes he's made previously look like they weigh heavily on him each time he plays, they have affected his confidence and risk aversion.

Poor fella plays in a shell.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

I do still think Webster is technically good enough to be at least 4th choice CB, but the mistakes he's made previously look like they weigh heavily on him each time he plays, they have affected his confidence and risk aversion.

The biggest issue for me is, being a lump of a player is masking the fact his body is that of a Buckley. Not sure he plays through the pain barrier at all, far too weak.

Some players fight through injury niggles, Webster disappears for months on end.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My biggest issue with Webster is that he takes too long to get up to speed after a lay off. I still like the guy and so want him to succeed, but we can't be carrying some of those rusty performances when we're competing in Europe as well as other competitions.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The biggest issue for me is, being a lump of a player is masking the fact his body is that of a Buckley. Not sure he plays through the pain barrier at all, far too weak.

Some players fight through injury niggles, Webster disappears for months on end.
Silly comment.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Van Hecke is a country mile ahead of Webster at the moment. Can only think it's his niggling injuries which are affecting his performances hence mistakes being made

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
So what's the news on webby. What injury is it? And Igor? Are both ruled out for a while?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Silly comment.
Not it certainly isn't. There are players who will run through brick walls then there are others who cry off.

Buckley for instance would come off after 30mins clutching his hammy, then be declared fit for a game three days later.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not it certainly isn't. There are players who will run through brick walls then there are others who cry off.

Buckley for instance would come off after 30mins clutching his hammy, then be declared fit for a game three days later.
And you know that’s the case with Adam do you? That he ‘cry’s off’ with a bit of pain?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

As someone has previously said, I think his potential and performances have definitely been hampered by his proneness to injury. I don’t think he would be content being 4th choice CB. At his age, he will be wanting regular game time. With de Zerbi, he hasn’t flourished, but under Potter he generally flourished as was highly praised by the likes of Jamie Carragher, I think it was. He was also well up the ‘league table’ of stats by which CB’s are judged and was being touted for an England call up.
I think it is highly likely he will go and seek a fresh start. That would probably be best for all parties.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As someone has previously said, I think his potential and performances have definitely been hampered by his proneness to injury. I don’t think he would be content being 4th choice CB. At his age, he will be wanting regular game time. With de Zerbi, he hasn’t flourished, but under Potter he generally flourished as was highly praised by the likes of Jamie Carragher, I think it was. He was also well up the ‘league table’ of stats by which CB’s are judged and was being touted for an England call up.
I think it is highly likely he will go and seek a fresh start. That would probably be best for all parties.
Just waiting for GPott to take the palace job.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Only person who knows if there’s any truth in that is probably Adam Webster. May be true, may not be… but a lot of guesswork there for me!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Maybe if Buckley hadn’t come back three days later, he might have had a longer career. You can’t run off hamstring injuries and the like.

Playing through injuries is archaic nonsense peddled by dinosaur old pro’s who can’t now walk without pain. It should be a thing of the past, it only harms your career and body.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here