Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Van Hecke or Webster?

• Vane Hecke

• Webster

• Both

Results are only viewable after voting.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
There is always 'Webster's Weekly Error', usually in the first half-hour or so. But generally it's just the one, and generally he gets away with it. But when he doesn't, it's painful.
In fairness Dunk was the same until about 3 years ago. The no look back pass was his speciality for about 5 years up until Hughton left.

Personally I think Webster is an England class CB at his best. The issue is injuries, and usually how long it takes him to get back to that level after an injury… but the talent’s there. We’ve seen it enough times.

JPVH is winning me around too. I still think he’s making some strange decisions with the ball at his feet, and his lack of pace can affect him in some situations. But he’s improving and I hope he continues to do so as he’ll be needed.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
He’s a brilliant player but they were lacklustre today, you can’t deny that? We played really well which obviously nullifies them but that was not a good Newcastle display?

In fact with the exception of 45 minutes against a ragged Villa after Mings injury, they’ve looked lacklustre all season.
So them being lacklustre was nothing to do with our defending? I thought Isak looked really dangerous first half and that if we made any mistake we’d concede.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
So them being lacklustre was nothing to do with our defending? I thought Isak looked really dangerous first half and that if we made any mistake we’d concede.
We, including JPVH did defend, well, I’ve said that. But Newcastle were definitely not at their best and haven’t been all season. They’ve got issues with the balance of their team. They lacked a bit of energy and invention, we were quite comfortable and the first couple of minutes apart, I never really felt they were a threat and was confident of the win.

We were good but I think we will have plenty harder games than that this season, they’re not in a great moment.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We, including JPVH did defend, well, I’ve said that. But Newcastle were definitely not at their best and haven’t been all season. They’ve got issues with the balance of their team. They lacked a bit of energy and invention, we were quite comfortable and the first couple of minutes apart, I never really felt they were a threat and was confident of the win.

We were good but I think we will have plenty harder games than that this season, they’re not in a great moment.
Very fair.

With the exception of Pervis in the first half, defensively we were great.
Newcastle, lots of hype little end product.

JPVH did well, other than their goal.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Before you are too smug about this, JPVH was responsible for the goal we conceded and also got to play alongside a class right back as opposed to a 39 year old makeshift.

Totally unfair comparison.

I'm please JPvH has stepped up and really would walk into several top flight teams, but it's going to take more than that game to prove that VH is better than Webster.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017

Seems like that balance problem comes from their midfield. On paper Tonali, Joelinton, Guimaraes should be one of the best midfields in the league. The trouble is they are all too similar, they all want to play that number 8 box to box position and so they don’t have the balance for all 3

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Seems like that balance problem comes from their midfield. On paper Tonali, Joelinton, Guimaraes should be one of the best midfields in the league. The trouble is they are all too similar, they all want to play that number 8 box to box position and so they don’t have the balance for all 3
Yep that’s it. There were big gaps in their midfield last night that Joao Pedro in particular exploited. They looked better last season with Willock and or Longstaff in the middle.

Tonali is an interesting one. I watched a lot of him in Serie A - lovely player but I’m not convinced he is going to be a success over here. He wouldn’t be the first Italian player to come into the PL and not be as good as hyped or he looked over there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports