Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Valentín Barco **Signed 20/01/24**

el punal

RDZ clearly doesn’t want to play Beleba and you can see why, the minute Billy was back he was dropped like a hot coal. For a passing side I don’t get this signing as he can’t pass has no vision and runs into blind alleys.
I will counter your comment regarding Baleba with this :

When Bobby Charlton joined Man Utd he had to prove himself by playing in the reserves for a considerable time before being selected for the first team. On one occasion when he was playing in the “stiffs” some wag in the sparse crowd bellowed “Go home Charlton, you’re all washed up!”. Shortly after it became apparent that Bobby definitely was not ‘all washed up’.

The point I suppose I’m trying to make is that some players take longer to adjust than others and therefore prove their true worth. Baleba may be inconsistent at times but he has shown quality also. As with all the young players we have signed over the last year it will probably be next season when we can truly assess their value.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I will counter your comment regarding Baleba with this :

When Bobby Charlton joined Man Utd he had to prove himself by playing in the reserves for a considerable time before being selected for the first team. On one occasion when he was playing in the “stiffs” some wag in the sparse crowd bellowed “Go home Charlton, you’re all washed up!”. Shortly after it became apparent that Bobby definitely was not ‘all washed up’.

The point I suppose I’m trying to make is that some players take longer to adjust than others and therefore prove their true worth. Baleba may be inconsistent at times but he has shown quality also. As with all the young players we have signed over the last year it will probably be next season when we can truly assess their value.
Baleba got man of the match three games in a row just a few weeks ago! He's a quality young player, I'm expecting big things from him next season.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Exactly he's going to be immense. People seem to think Caicedo and Bissouma just arrived in a puff of smoke ready to go in their first game.
I absolutely loved the way that Carlos targeted Caicedo when he came on, just to demonstrate who's the boss on the pitch.*

* In fairness, Caicedo and Cucurella were their best players, despite the lack of support the vile (they're all vile) Chelsea fans gave them early on. The below article helped me to understand what to expect from Cucurella on Wednesday, whereas Moises just knits their entire system into shape, he's their lynchpin. Apparently the (all vile) Chelsea fan view is that he's come good from the moment Fernandez got injured which just goes to show he's playing with the wrong Argentinian.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
"But when you have to defend against a motorcycle - because in the Premier League as wingers there are motorcycles with great power - he can be in a different situation"

Lucky we have speedmeisters like Gross and Milner who can play fullback 😂
Pace is an issue throughout the squad and has been throughout almost all the PL era.

Reading this thread has been quite amusing because I wasn't there on Weds, but my son came back quite disconsolate over Barco, saying he wasn't good enough defensively and struggled to beat the first man with his crossing. At about this time I got a message from another mate who'd been telling me how great Barco is / was :lolol:

Reading this thread up to now it seems my son is in a minority of almost one, yet you've called out another big problem. If we struggle with pace and power on both the wings and the centre of midfield we're going to get overrun pretty quickly in most games.

Not sure how we'll address it, but I don't think it's a coincidence that Estupinian has gone backwards this season without Caicedo in the midfield and, post injury, without Mitoma in front of him. Barco will have exactly the same issues without a quick winger and strong DM to play with.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Reading this thread has been quite amusing because I wasn't there on Weds, but my son came back quite disconsolate over Barco, saying he wasn't good enough defensively and struggled to beat the first man with his crossing. At about this time I got a message from another mate who'd been telling me how great Barco is /
Your son is right defensively, his positioning is awful and for their second (admittedly I haven’t seen it again) I thought he could have done a lot better.

But going forward he certainly seems very capable. He did tire towards the end and did have a few attempts which didn’t beat first man but his first 40 minutes or so were decent enough

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Your son is right defensively, his positioning is awful and for their second (admittedly I haven’t seen it again) I thought he could have done a lot better.

But going forward he certainly seems very capable. He did tire towards the end and did have a few attempts which didn’t beat first man but his first 40 minutes or so were decent enough
Not sure it's his positioning, we had 8 up the pitch at the start of the second half, this can only be as a result of instruction from the manager. Somehow we kept them at bay for 20 mins with last ditch clearances, but clearly we were begging to be picked off.

Personally I don't mind though. I'd rather have a go

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I absolutely loved the way that Carlos targeted Caicedo when he came on, just to demonstrate who's the boss on the pitch.*

* In fairness, Caicedo and Cucurella were their best players, despite the lack of support the vile (they're all vile) Chelsea fans gave them early on. The below article helped me to understand what to expect from Cucurella on Wednesday, whereas Moises just knits their entire system into shape, he's their lynchpin. Apparently the (all vile) Chelsea fan view is that he's come good from the moment Fernandez got injured which just goes to show he's playing with the wrong Argentinian.

I thought Cucurella was OK for the most part after a nervy start. Struggled a bit with Adingra late on. Caicedo was quietly effective. I suspect they are now seeing what primo piece of kit he is. Massively underrated passer too.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Pace is an issue throughout the squad and has been throughout almost all the PL era.

Reading this thread has been quite amusing because I wasn't there on Weds, but my son came back quite disconsolate over Barco, saying he wasn't good enough defensively and struggled to beat the first man with his crossing. At about this time I got a message from another mate who'd been telling me how great Barco is / was :lolol:

Reading this thread up to now it seems my son is in a minority of almost one, yet you've called out another big problem. If we struggle with pace and power on both the wings and the centre of midfield we're going to get overrun pretty quickly in most games.

Not sure how we'll address it, but I don't think it's a coincidence that Estupinian has gone backwards this season without Caicedo in the midfield and, post injury, without Mitoma in front of him. Barco will have exactly the same issues without a quick winger and strong DM to play with.
Agree with every word.
Definitely need a quick CDM for next season as a priority.

And of course it's no coincidence that we have really struggled down the right hand side also once March was injured. I really like Veltman, but he has been exposed at right back without March tracking back in a way that Facu or Adringa don't seem to do.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
know, where the net is where tha net iz,,, 3 -1
albion..we gotta do this ...!!

Blau-blanca al vent
un crit valent
tenim un nom, el sap tothom:
Barco, Barco, Barco!

[Translation]
Blue and white flowing in the wind
One valiant cry
We've got a name that everyone knows
Barco Barco Baaaarco!

why..!?? why .....??

i mean why do they do that ...im completely underwhelmed.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

I was amazed at that. He'd only come on as a substitute at half-time. A few weeks ago he and Fati were left out of the matchday squad at Brentford and RDZ stated "I wanted them to work alone to improve their physical condition." Doesn't augur well - the kid is only bloody 19, he should have enough energy to run for days!

Myabe that's the reason we've re-signed Milner for another year; to put a rocket up Barco's arse in terms of work ethic.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I was amazed at that. He'd only come on as a substitute at half-time. A few weeks ago he and Fati were left out of the matchday squad at Brentford and RDZ stated "I wanted them to work alone to improve their physical condition." Doesn't augur well - the kid is only bloody 19, he should have enough energy to run for days!

Myabe that's the reason we've re-signed Milner for another year; to put a rocket up Barco's arse in terms of work ethic.

19 year old, recently arrived in a foreign country, playing against star players and top teams doesn’t adjust and look world class (although better than most on the pitch) for 45 mins, I think he wears a snood in training too. Are you Milner’s agent? :wink:

TOUGH crowd. I am a big big fan on what I’ve seen so far and RDZ is a tough taskmaster. Did you see him haranguing and pushing Solly around in the first video training session after his appointment? Worked though as Solly went up levels very quickly

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
19 year old, recently arrived in a foreign country, playing against star players and top teams doesn’t adjust and look world class (although better than most on the pitch) for 45 mins, I think he wears a snood in training too. Are you Milner’s agent? :wink:

TOUGH crowd. I am a big big fan on what I’ve seen so far and RDZ is a tough taskmaster. Did you see him haranguing and pushing Solly around in the first video training session after his appointment? Worked though as Solly went up levels very quickly
This.

‘Improve physical’ condition I assumed related more to the physical appearance rather than endurance. (See Enciso)

He didn’t look like he was struggling to me, when he sprinted back to intercept two crosses at the end.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Think you should look at their second again. He wasn't hugely culpable for it in my view. Not convinced about the positioning comment either. When he was on, we had considerably more of the ball as we were trying to get back in the game.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Think you should look at their second again. He wasn't hugely culpable for it in my view. Not convinced about the positioning comment either. When he was on, we had considerably more of the ball as we were trying to get back in the game.
Exactly.

Adingra, however, as seems to be the norm, ‘switched on’ when it was far too late.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

This.

‘Improve physical’ condition I assumed related more to the physical appearance rather than endurance. (See Enciso)

He didn’t look like he was struggling to me, when he sprinted back to intercept two crosses at the end.

I haven't made any comment about his technical abilities - just his apparent physical condition.

He collapsed, exhausted, at the end of the game on Wednesday; it wasn't what I expected to see from a 19-year-old after one half of football.

Barco.jpg

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I haven't made any comment about his technical abilities - just his apparent physical condition.

He collapsed, exhausted, at the end of the game on Wednesday; it wasn't what I expected to see from a 19-year-old after one half of football.

View attachment 182445
Not sure he’s done this previously and he played 90 mins at Bournemouth and City.
I take your point and a preseason will do him the world of good, but I think his body shape probably needs more work, similar to Enciso.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here