[Albion] Valentín Barco **Signed 20/01/24**

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’d love to see this happen but my gut feel is it will be a ‘Nunez’ in that he will go to a bigger/more glamorous club. Really hope my gut is wrong though. He ticks a lot of boxes, including being able to play further forward if Pervis is fit, and LB if he isn’t

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Walker Peters would be unlikely in Jan I’d think as they are in the promotion mix. However, if Southampton don’t come straight back up, then I’m pretty certain Southampton wouldn’t be in such a good position to retain him.
If you Google Barco you can see the clubs who are linked with him and Man City seem to be the club that are best placed.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
OK, huge caveat, this isn't my money.

But is there any prospect of us beating the release clause before our transfer window opens (for example now)?

The logic being, if he's the player we think he is, he's probably worth more than the clause. In January there may be a bidding war. Is it just possible we could get the jump on other teams? As we did with Facu? The Argentina league is just finishing. We'd be making a statement to selling club and player. Crucially we could get him playing at the start of Jan, before we lose a load of players to tournaments.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'beating'. A release clause is exactly that and, once that fee has been met, it is activated. It's certainly worthwhile the club meeting that release clause asap, given our injury situation. But it's not just about forging an agreement with the club (by meeting its release clause), it's also about forging an agreement with the player and (potentially, as with many South American players) third party owners/agents/etc.

For the player, we're an attractive option because there's a potential direct route into the first team from the moment the transfer window opens. Don't think any other PL team could offer them that, especially when allied to our recent history of SA players making it through us.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I keep seeing Walker-Peters being mentioned on NSC by various posters. Have we been linked with him anywhere or is it just Chinese whispers which have grown from a couple of people suggesting he would be a good fit?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I keep seeing Walker-Peters being mentioned on NSC by various posters. Have we been linked with him anywhere or is it just Chinese whispers which have grown from a couple of people suggesting he would be a good fit?
No official interest as far as I know, I was hoping we would be in for him last summer, and seems an obvious gap filler now. He wouldn’t be allowed to leave easily so unlikely.

He’s also 26 so may not meet the model for a fee but think he’s out of contract in the summer

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No. It's just posters noticing that we could do with cover at both FB positions alongside his ability to play there.
1, we're not going to sign him
2, I don't want us to and would rather one or both of Gross and Hinshelwood start at FB than him

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Maybe get him some female nighttime canine company to keep him distracted? After all, it’ll be the 14th Feb before we know it.
My dog is a she and the last Randy hound that had a sniff got shown a snarling set of teeth and he ran off with his tail between his legs 🤣

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I tend to think that we will lose out on this one which is why we are also linked with Samuel Iling Junior of Juve, and Juanlu Sanchez of Sevilla, albeit Sanchez is a right back, RWB.
Would love to be proven wrong though.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Nothing much……a few bits on twitter, one including someone saying we’re ‘very confident of signing him’ but also links to City and Barcelona

I'd file under 'total BS'. 3k followers and lives in Glasgow. Probably couldn't point out Argentina on a map.

Screenshot_2023-12-17-12-01-13-44_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Just to show the 'quality' of his knowledge, has an exclusive ITK scoop that Ashworth is going to ManUre.

Screenshot_2023-12-17-12-02-09-31_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Played and scored for Argentina U23's two days ago.
There lies another issue with his possible signing. He's likely to be involved in Argentina's Olympic qualifiers which take place 20th Jan - Feb 11th so he will miss some games. Although clubs don't have to release players for the Olympics I doubt it would go down well when looking at potential new clubs if they said no to letting him go.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There lies another issue with his possible signing. He's likely to be involved in Argentina's Olympic qualifiers which take place 20th Jan - Feb 11th so he will miss some games. Although clubs don't have to release players for the Olympics I doubt it would go down well when looking at potential new clubs if they said no to letting him go.
If the lad is good enough, and the club consider the signing good business, then his availability for 2 or 3 league matches will not influence their decisions one tiny bit (unfortunate as the timing of that competition is).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This SINGING could be season-defining :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports