Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Valentín Barco **Signed 20/01/24**

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
If this all goes through I assume it will be acceptable to say he looks like a competition winner and write him off as those of us at Stoke last season might have done with Enciso after one of the worst displays I have seen.

But you do have free choice as to whether to change your mind, or keep doubling down regardless like a certain other poster has re: Jack Hinshelwood.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
If this all goes through I assume it will be acceptable to say he looks like a competition winner and write him off as those of us at Stoke last season might have done with Enciso after one of the worst displays I have seen.
Or Buonanotte. Or Hinshelwood. Or any other you players who don't hit the ground running with immediate success. The online fan cycle is as follows (feel free to add any we miss):

1. Massive hype pre-signing;
2. Bigger hype on debut;
3. Slated as not ready after 1-2 games - he'll never make it at this level;
4. Silence as he improves game by game;
5. Hailed as the new messiah - we always knew he'd come good;
6. Voted player of the season in his second season;
7a. Wished well after he signs for a massive club for a silly fee - Has a decent-to-very-good career
7b. Called a snake and booed relentlessly after he signed for Chelsea for £25m-£50m over his value on and £250k p/w/ 8-year deal - disappears into mediocrity

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
He's older and more experienced than the likes of Jack Hinshelwood and Facu Buononotte.
It's not about whether Barco is good enough.
Any delay in utilising him will be because he is trying to learn RDZ's passing patterns.
When to give and receive the ball are crucial to the unique way RDZ's side build up play and then execute attacks in there own style.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Maybe? I mean, City's plan was apparently to loan him to Leicester, who are looking good for promotion from the Championship.

Obviously that's a level below us, but only one level. And it's the very top end of that level. I don't think this is one of those "he needs two years of loans before he's ready" situations.

So while he obviously won't be ready to play from day one, I wouldn't be too surprised if we see something from him this season, even if it's a few appearances off the bench.

This succession planning for when Estupinan leaves. If we could get another season out of Estupinan with Barco as understudy and rotating in here and there, then you'd like to think he'd be ready to start the season after. That is of course if we can successfully hold off bids for Estupinan in the mean time.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This succession planning for when Estupinan leaves. If we could get another season out of Estupinan with Barco as understudy and rotating in here and there, then you'd like to think he'd be ready to start the season after. That is of course if we can successfully hold off bids for Estupinan in the mean time.
Estupinian is good, But I don't see him in a Liverpool or City team.

Maybe he'll fancy a new challenge, but i personally reckon he'll stay here a while, he's loved, he's playing, there's a few SA boys here, and we're at a good level for him.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Pervis is obviously a very good player, but I don't think it's nailed on that a top 6 club would make us an offer too good to turn down.

The club will be hopeful they can get him to sign a new, improved and longer deal.

I'm seeing Barco more as a player coming in to compete for that spot (and others) than as a replacement

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Hopefully he will form a relationship with Pervis, and put Mitoma under pressure...
That's asking a lot, but Mitoma has been played too much this season, whether that was a contributor to his injury who knows. What we need are players who can credibly come in and allow the lad to have a game off or a half off sometimes

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
That's asking a lot, but Mitoma has been played too much this season, whether that was a contributor to his injury who knows. What we need are players who can credibly come in and allow the lad to have a game off or a half off sometimes
With Solly out for a long while yet, and Barco seemingly able to play anywhere up the left side, its more likely he's been bought to cover that glaring hole in squad + provide extra options, than replace Estupinian/Mitoma.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Kind of agree. I've been 'Ginge' at just about every football and cricket team I've played for in the last 40 years. When it is not meant as a slight, then its not a slight - as far as I'm concerned, at least.

Estupinian is good, But I don't see him in a Liverpool or City team.

Maybe he'll fancy a new challenge, but i personally reckon he'll stay here a while, he's loved, he's playing, there's a few SA boys here, and we're at a good level for him.
Interesting. I can really see him in a Liverpool or City team. And yes there are a few South Americans here, but I'm pretty sure they are all looking for that big club move- that's why they came to us in the first place, because we help facilitate it.

I wonder if it is actually ever possible for the Albion to become a 'destination club' rather than a steeping stone. I can't see it personally, not without a big expansion to the Amex.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Supporting Brighton is currently like peak Football Manager save when you have got a team to a stage where you can buy up some of the South American wonder kids and develop players through the youth system.

We've basically reached the point in the save where it gets boring after you've won a title and CL and you quit and wait for next year's iteration.

Just the title and CL to go then !

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Supporting Brighton is currently like peak Football Manager save when you have got a team to a stage where you can buy up some of the South American wonder kids and develop players through the youth system.

We've basically reached the point in the save where it gets boring after you've won a title and CL and you quit and wait for next year's iteration.

Just the title and CL to go then !
I believe Barco is the best rated left back wonderkid on FM24.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The whole debate about we are targeting Barco, because 'he covers x/y positions', or 'succession planning', etc, ignores the simple truth of our entire recruitment policy:

If a player is available, at a good price, with huge potential for added value (in football AND monetary terms), then we'll try to buy them. If they are in a position where we are thin, that is obviously a factor - but if the deal is attractive enough, we'd buy them anyway.

It's why we bought Matt Clarke when we didn't need him, and why we currently have 34 goalkeepers on the books.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Interesting. I can really see him in a Liverpool or City team. And yes there are a few South Americans here, but I'm pretty sure they are all looking for that big club move- that's why they came to us in the first place, because we help facilitate it.

I wonder if it is actually ever possible for the Albion to become a 'destination club' rather than a steeping stone. I can't see it personally, not without a big expansion to the Amex.
Or a new ground, better start looking now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here